Free Games TV Forums

Main Index FORUM
HOME
Search Posts SEARCH
IN
Rules & FAQ RULES
F.A.Q.

Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Discoloration on a dropped TV, what are my options? Any help very much appreciated!

gion
New User

Apr 15, 2005, 4:59 AM

Post #1 of 2 (1244 views)
Shortcut
Discoloration on a dropped TV, what are my options? Any help very much appreciated! Can't Post

Hi folks,

Yesterday I dropped my pure flat Konka TV while trying to connect it up (that thing is so damn fron heavy). It fell face first on a carpet floor from about 2-3 feet high. I feared the worst, but the TV started up fine. Except for a blob of discoloration on the lower right corner of the screen, about the size of a hand. The color goes green to purple depending on the original image.

It's a triangle shaped, solid discoloration about 4-5 inches to each side. There are no other visible problems with the picture.

I did my research and it looked like it's either 1) a magnetization problem, 2) loose shadow mask, 3) dislocated yoke.

I'm no technician and I prefer to not go inside the TV if I can help it (I've heard my high-voltage horror stories) ... tonight I'm going to try degaussing it, waving magnets around it. If that doesn't work, what are my options? I guess what I'm trying to find out is whether I should send it to the repairman or give up on it. Any simple, non-hazardous tests I can do to answer this question? The TV is pretty new so I'd rather not have to replace it.

Thank you very much in advance for your help!

mel
Veteran

Apr 15, 2005, 10:53 PM

Post #2 of 2 (1230 views)
Shortcut
Re: [gion] Discoloration on a dropped TV, what are my options? Any help very much appreciated! [In reply to] Can't Post

Since it fell face first, I would more suspect that the yoke has shifted and affected the purity. Using magnets is not the way to degause a CRT. You need an alternating current source for that and besides that, dropping it would have nothing to do with a magnetization problem.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.20 s on (CGI/1.1)