Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Flyback Transformer Sparking

srv_827
New User

Aug 5, 2004, 12:51 AM

Post #1 of 3 (2174 views)
Shortcut
Flyback Transformer Sparking Can't Post

I have a model F32649 RCA 32" tv. While watching a movie the other night, we started hearing sparks coming from the back of the tv. After further investigation, I believe that it was the flyback transformer causing the problems.

I was wondering if I could just replace the flyback transformer (or have it replaced), or if it is possible that it fried the tube in the process. I would like to fix it, but I don't want to drop a ton of money into it either.

Thanks

mel
Veteran

Aug 5, 2004, 10:58 PM

Post #2 of 3 (2160 views)
Shortcut
Re: [srv_827] Flyback Transformer Sparking [In reply to] Can't Post

If you plan on keeping the set, I do not recommend "patching" the flyback. When they start arcing, they usually leave a carbon trail over the path of the arc and this trail is conductive. Also, the arcing may have shorted some the windings in the transformer thus reducing its reliablilty. It is not unusual to see flyback failures in RCAs and assuming that the set was still playing while arcing, there should be no other problems. If it was not still playing, you are probably going to also have to replace a least the horizontal output transistor.

srv_827
New User

Aug 6, 2004, 9:21 AM

Post #3 of 3 (2152 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mel] Flyback Transformer Sparking [In reply to] Can't Post

To be honest, I'd rather replace it than to try and patch it up. It was sparking pretty bad.

Thanks for your time.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.20 s on (CGI/1.1)