Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
GE - Screen projected too large

lucas
New User

May 29, 2005, 11:07 PM

Post #1 of 6 (1036 views)
Shortcut
GE - Screen projected too large Can't Post

My apologies if this has already been posted, I didn't know what the technical term is for it so I didn't know what to search for.

I have a GE 27" tv, my problem is the screen shows up too large for the casing around it. So say I'm watching CNN or something the crawl down at the bottom of the screen gets cut off, so it seems like the outer inch or 2 gets cut off. It seems to have something to do with the brightness that appears on the screen because if something dark comes on the screen, or I turn down the brightness/contrast it makes the screen small enough to see.

I'd appreciate any help you could offer. I know nothing about the inner workings of a TV, so if you have something I could try, please explain it keeping that in mind.

Thanks for your time,
Lucas

Electro
New User

May 30, 2005, 7:42 PM

Post #2 of 6 (1025 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lucas] GE - Screen projected too large [In reply to] Can't Post

You could try tweaking your tv's horizontal and vertical size controls.

unplug the tv, and remove the back cover.

look for variable resistors (that's a small component with an adjustible wiper usually having three legs and the wiper has a small rectangular hole for a small screw driver) that has "H Size" and "V Size" beside it.

CAREFUL!!! Make sure you don't have any electrical connection to anything on your body. TV sets has voltages up to 25,000 volts or more in it. Don't get yourself fried. Being inexperienced, stay insulated from everything in there! I suggest calling a friend who is has more experience at this.

It's healthier to get shocked by a horror movie than your freakin tv set!

shadetree
Veteran

May 30, 2005, 9:06 PM

Post #3 of 6 (1022 views)
Shortcut

if it's a newer ge it won't have those controls and you will have to go into the service menu to adjust

lucas
New User

May 30, 2005, 9:42 PM

Post #4 of 6 (1021 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Electro] GE - Screen projected too large [In reply to] Can't Post

What if I just unplugged it, fiddled with the controls and plugged it back in and kept trying that until I got it right? Sure it'd take time but I should be safe right?

And that's funny, the first thing I did was look for the vertical and horizontal holds but couldn't find them, why the heck would they put them on the inside of a tv? that's just stupid IMHO.

Thanks for the help btw.

t0nito
User

May 31, 2005, 9:09 PM

Post #5 of 6 (1006 views)
Shortcut

No don't look for v.hold and h.hold, that's something different, look for V.Size and H.Size, and no, it's still unsafe to fiddle with your tv even when it's unplugged because of the high voltage build up.

mel
Veteran

May 31, 2005, 9:41 PM

Post #6 of 6 (1003 views)
Shortcut

First of all, you need to list a model number so that we are not all foundering around guessing whether this set has a vertical size pot or is adjusted thru the service menu. I suspect the latter and if so, there is no reason to even get inside the set.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.21 s on (CGI/1.1)