Free Games TV Forums

Main Index FORUM
HOME
Search Posts SEARCH
IN
Rules & FAQ RULES
F.A.Q.

Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
GE 31GT740 Scrolling Channels/Menus won't stop ??

annamack
New User

Oct 29, 2004, 1:42 AM

Post #1 of 2 (2477 views)
Shortcut
GE 31GT740 Scrolling Channels/Menus won't stop ?? Can't Post

I have a pretty new 31" GE Model# 31GT740 TV. I've had it for less than two years. My set up is DVD Player to Digital Cable Box to TV.
A few days ago, as I was watching TV, the channels on the TV (not the cable box) started scrolling on their own. Both remotes were sitting on the table, untouched. Since the tv has to be set to channel 3 to pick up a channel from the cable box, it just scrolled through screens of snow, one by one, going backwards.. 68.. 67.. 66.. about every 2 seconds. I thought maybe something it was something weird and turned it off via the remote. I waited a couple of minutes and proceeded to turn the tv back on. Again, it would continue to scroll, in the same manner. If I tried to use the remote to punch in a channel, it would do so, however start scrolling immediately.
I tried to turn the tv off again, this time it wouldn't. I then tried turning it off the Power button on the tv set itself and again no response. I then held down the power button for a few seconds and the set finally turned off. I unplugged it and let it sit over night.
The following day, I tried the same process again.. and this time unplugged the cable box from the tv as well. Still, the same outcome.
I've spoken to Tech Support and they referred me to take it in to an authorized repair center, as they had no explanation. Before I lug this huge thing to a repair center, I was hoping someone might give me some kind of info as to what the problem might be so I won't waste energy and money on this broken set if it turns out that it'll cost less just to buy a new one. Not to mention, I'm a 19 yr old college student who can barely lift my laundry bag, nevermind this monster of a television set.
THANKS IN ADVANCE!

I did a search on this before I posted and it looks as if someone had the same exact problem I did with the same exact manufacturer and model tv back in April, however no one responded to his post, so I'm hpoing someone will be able to help this time. Doesn't it seem odd that someone else with an identical TV had this same problem though?? Maybe it's a problem with their design?

mel
Veteran

Oct 29, 2004, 11:24 PM

Post #2 of 2 (2465 views)
Shortcut
Re: [annamack] GE 31GT740 Scrolling Channels/Menus won't stop ?? [In reply to] Can't Post

I suspect that your problem is either a bad microprocessor or a bd EEPROM. It will take someone with proper test equipment and technical knowledge to say for sure. You might want to check out www.FreeFlatScreens.com/default.aspx?referer=7509165 for an opportunity to earn a free replacement for this set with a little effort on your part.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.19 s on (CGI/1.1)