Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Help on convergence tweak

app37le
New User

Feb 8, 2005, 4:24 PM

Post #1 of 3 (1939 views)
Shortcut
Help on convergence tweak Can't Post

I have a RCA P46924, 46" rear projection TV. It's in need of convergence "fine tune". Using the remote just doesn't cut it. Wonder if anyone has done it and can give me some hints. I do have "grid" convergence and "color bars" patterns. The Pioneer unit I had has the adjustment "pots" behind the front panel but I couldn't find such on the RCA. Before I open the back cover, thought I might ask for advice first. TIA.

crawdaddy
New User

Feb 8, 2005, 6:53 PM

Post #2 of 3 (1930 views)
Shortcut
Re: [app37le] Help on convergence tweak [In reply to] Can't Post

That set I think has the CTC169 chassis(it'll say somewhere on the back)...if so the convergence adjustments are on the front, in the middle of the cabinet just above floor level. If you're going to attempt to converge it yourself, it's a good idea to take one of those sharpie markers, and mark any pot before you touch it. That way you can return it to it's original setting if you find it isn't working, or if you get into trouble. Mark the pot and the board at the same time so you'll be able to line up the pot exactly where it was. Once you start turning those pots, it's easy to lose your place, and in no time you've got a picture that looks like hell. If you can have someone experienced do this for you, you might be glad you didn't try it yourself. good luck...let us know how you make out!Smile

app37le
New User

Feb 22, 2005, 5:25 PM

Post #3 of 3 (1903 views)
Shortcut
Re: [crawdaddy] Help on convergence tweak [In reply to] Can't Post

Brian,

Thx to your tips, I've been able to fine tune the convergence on my RCA P46924 46" rear projection TV (it might be similar with other RCA rear projection units). I would like to share the procrdure a bit more in details.

1) Turn on the TV by pressing the Power button on the front panel. Corse convergence needs to be adjusted (by using the remote unit) prior to step 2. This will give you a better reference to start with.

2) Hold the Menu key and press the Power button. (menu comes up on screen)

3) While still holding the Menu key, press Vol + key and the display with p0 (on the left) and v0 (on the right) comes up. Let go of the keys and hit Vol + or vol - to set v0 to 80. BTW, do you know what the other numbers are for?

4) Press Channel ^ to get the convergence "grid" displayed on screen.

5) A "yellow cross" is displayed at the center of the screen. Now use the remote unit for adjustments. The green arrow buttons are for moving the "cross" and the blue arrow button are for adjusting the red convergence. Up, down, left and right buttons are for respective adjustments.

6) Use the "next" button (on the center right side of the remote unit) for displaying the "blue cross".

7) Press the Power button on the remote when done.

The whole process is time consuming (took me about 30 minutes) as convergence is adjusted one "square" and one color (red or blue) at a time. And you have to go back and forth to readjust and "fine tune." Just be patient, play some music or listen to your favorite TV channel while tweaking. If for any reason you run into problem and/or have a mess up picture. Press the "reset" key on the lower right of the remote unit. Once you press that, you should get back a fairly "viewable" grid pattern for adjudtment.

Hope this is helpful for others.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.22 s on (CGI/1.1)