Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Help wiht HDMI on TV ?

achebee4you
New User

Jun 28, 2007, 3:51 AM

Post #1 of 4 (899 views)
Shortcut
Help wiht HDMI on TV ? Can't Post

Well I've had my Panasonic Tau ct-30wc15 for about 1.5 yrs i got it in nov 05 along with a toshiba hdmi dvd player and a belkin hdmi cable. Well after 1.5 yrs of watching up converted movies it just stop working. When the hdmi cable was pluggef into the back of the tv it was pressed up against the wall i have a feeling over the past 18months that cable being pressed up against the wall and the hdmi input on the tv broke the only hdmi input on my tv. At first i thought it was the hdmi calbe to i borrowed a new belkin cable and it still didn't work. about a few months ago i was having issues with the pic while watching movies. E.G it when upcoverted the pic would not convert and remain hazy lke it wa stuggling so then with a little adjustment/play of the cable the picture came up. My warranty is up and that is my only hdmi input. What are my options now? And if ppl think it may be the dvd player i hooked up the new hdmi cable to the hd cable box again with no picture. Another thing the hdmi cable does't fit snug inside the the hdmi input on the tv it waggles a little maybe 1mm of play. Could it be the input is shot or that the cable is not fully making contact the with data strips on the input. any suggestion on what this will cost to repair? or am i screwed?

thanks

Tim

streetchariot
New User

Jun 28, 2007, 6:50 AM

Post #2 of 4 (893 views)
Shortcut
Re: [achebee4you] Help wiht HDMI on TV ? [In reply to] Can't Post

If your warranty is up, you have two options, you can call a repair tech, or open the unit and inspect the connector. If you want to play the safe card, call the tech first, as they may have a replacement HDMI connector available and cheap.
If they do not, or they say the repair will cost much more than you are willing to spend, check the connection yourself.

It should be a pretty standard connection, so you should be able to see if the input is loose. If the frame of the connector is stretched top-bottom, apply slight pressure to the top of the input (while you have the board out of the chassis. This will make the HDMI cable fit more snug. This technique works on USB ports also.

If your connection is bad on the center shaft, it may be corrected by "closing the gap" a little bit.

If you can feel the center is loose on its own, your best bet is to order the part from a vendor and solder it yourself, if you feel comfortable doing this.

Hope that helps.
-StreetChariot

achebee4you
New User

Jun 28, 2007, 12:47 PM

Post #3 of 4 (887 views)
Shortcut
Re: [streetchariot] Help wiht HDMI on TV ? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
If your warranty is up, you have two options, you can call a repair tech, or open the unit and inspect the connector. If you want to play the safe card, call the tech first, as they may have a replacement HDMI connector available and cheap.
If they do not, or they say the repair will cost much more than you are willing to spend, check the connection yourself.

It should be a pretty standard connection, so you should be able to see if the input is loose. If the frame of the connector is stretched top-bottom, apply slight pressure to the top of the input (while you have the board out of the chassis. This will make the HDMI cable fit more snug. This technique works on USB ports also.

If your connection is bad on the center shaft, it may be corrected by "closing the gap" a little bit.

If you can feel the center is loose on its own, your best bet is to order the part from a vendor and solder it yourself, if you feel comfortable doing this.

Hope that helps.
-StreetChariot thanks for the advice i really hope it won't cost too much to fix, but in the mean time i have 2 compnent inputs on the tv. One which is connected to the HD box and i can still get 1080i hd but what now with my upconvert dvd player do they make some type of (hdmi to component) cable i still want to able to watch dvds that have been upcoverted to 1080i, or am i SOL without the hdmi input on the tv

streetchariot
New User

Jun 28, 2007, 2:11 PM

Post #4 of 4 (882 views)
Shortcut
Re: [achebee4you] Help wiht HDMI on TV ? [In reply to] Can't Post

If you have an upconverting DVD player it should be 1080i over component cable also. HDMI allows 1080p with HDCP. Just check though your settings for your DVD player. They do not make a Component-to-HDMI cable, as HDMI is digital audio/video in one cable... and Component is only video.

Over 720p you wont see much of a difference on many mid-range HDTVs.

I would still check that jack input though. As long as the center post of the jack isn't back, I'd try to close the gap and see if that fixes it.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.19 s on (CGI/1.1)