Help with identifying bad transformer?

14years
New User

Jun 23, 2005, 5:30 PM

Post #1 of 4 (2082 views)
Shortcut
Help with identifying bad transformer? Can't Post

Hello,

I have a 19" tv with what appears to be a bad DC transformer (NOT flyback) on the board. The transformer makes a high-pitched whine, and the TV doesn't do anything else. The transformer has the following numbers on top: "AA26-20003V" and "YE 633". Could someone help me identify this and find a replacement? I think the TV is a Magnavox, made in 1996. I know it's not worth anything, but I enjoy working on stuff like this and want to learn if the part isn't too expensive. Thanks!

Dave

(This post was edited by 14years on Jun 23, 2005, 5:43 PM)

mel
Veteran

Jun 23, 2005, 10:48 PM

Post #2 of 4 (2055 views)
Shortcut
Re: [14years] Help with identifying bad transformer? [In reply to] Can't Post

I had a similar problem with a magnavox a few years ago and came to the same conclusion that you did. Unfortunately, changing the transformer didn't solve it. The transformer was definitely singing and spraying it with clear silicone spray helped quite it a little but the problem wasn't in the transformer itself. I consulted with fellow techs on a techs only site and no one else seemed to have a solution either. Finally gave it to my son-in-law for his shop where the noise didn;t bother him.

mitchel
New User

Jun 24, 2005, 1:25 AM

Post #3 of 4 (2048 views)
Shortcut
Re: [14years] Help with identifying bad transformer? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey, i think is ur horizontal transistor bad . if i am right that is a switching mode power supply your tv is useing. that transformer( AA26-20003V ) is a chopper transformer that supply B+ volts to flyback then to the Horizontal output transistor. some ware along the line u have a short to ground.

14years
New User

Jun 24, 2005, 8:47 PM

Post #4 of 4 (2041 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mitchel] Help with identifying bad transformer? [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the info. I was way off, it's a Samsung, built Sept. 1996. So, you think the transistor is bad and causing the transformer to whine? Is it easy to identify, test, and replace if necessary? I can't be dead certain the whine is coming from the transformer, but it seemed to be. Thanks again.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.20 s on (CGI/1.1)