Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Hitachi Big Screen 50UX52B Hit by Lightning

CuteCaroleTx
New User

Feb 5, 2005, 3:47 AM

Post #1 of 2 (1365 views)
Shortcut
Hitachi Big Screen 50UX52B Hit by Lightning Can't Post

Wink Hitachi 50UX52B....My home was hit by lightning and my 50 inch big screen TV stopped turning on. I am in a quandary as to whom to turn to who I can trust. Any ideas out there? I am located in the Dallas, TX area. Thanks loads! Carole

crawdaddy
New User

Feb 6, 2005, 4:53 AM

Post #2 of 2 (1355 views)
Shortcut
Re: [CuteCaroleTx] Hitachi Big Screen 50UX52B Hit by Lightning [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey Carole,Laugh hi from Nova Scotia...your set no doubt has some built in protection (sacrificial devices, we call them), which are designed to self-destruct in the event of a power surge that usually accompanies lightning damage. Things like fuses, varistors (small disc-like devices) are the first line of defence in these circumstances,and a competent, reputable service person would quickly be able to tell you if these devices have done the job they were made to do,namely protect your tv against more serious damage. It would be advisable to have your set evaluated by a qualified tech, because in addition to the things I've mentioned, projection sets have other circuits engineered into them to quickly shut down the unit in the event of a catastrophic sudden failure. I hope this information will be somewhat helpful, (kinda far away to do much more), so good luck, and I'd be interested to hear how it turns out.Cool

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.20 s on (CGI/1.1)