Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
How difficult to repair ...

3ES
New User

Jun 2, 2005, 4:06 AM

Post #1 of 6 (1246 views)
Shortcut
How difficult to repair ... Can't Post

I have a Samsung TV, model TXG2548, and it has a thin horizontal line going straight across the middle of the TV. I Google'd to find out what it could be and it looks like that it's the vertical amplifer/processor - is that the problem? I searched some more and the part only seems to be in the 20-30 dollar range and I was wondering how difficult it would be to repair this myself? I've never taken apart a TV but I'd like to save a few bucks and do this myself if I can. I'm an auto mechanic and have a basic knowledge of electrical so I'm not completely in the dark. If anyone could tell me if this is something I could do and what precautions I should take, that'd be great. Also, if anyone can guide me to a photo of what it looks like or the general vicinity this part is located on in the TV (I don't know if there's a standard location or not). Sorry for the long post and thanks for any help!

reconmarine
New User

Jun 2, 2005, 10:16 AM

Post #2 of 6 (1239 views)
Shortcut
Re: [3ES] How difficult to repair ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Curious is the TV circa 1998? Have seen a few sets with the same problem and it was cold solders if you hit the back of the set the picture returns to normal. All the sets in question were 1998 and one was a 99.

kuhurdler
User

Jun 2, 2005, 1:57 PM

Post #3 of 6 (1230 views)
Shortcut
Re: [reconmarine] How difficult to repair ... [In reply to] Can't Post

where were the cold solder joints on the units you repaired?

-RiddledTV.com
http://www.riddledtv.com/forums/

3ES
New User

Jun 2, 2005, 9:17 PM

Post #4 of 6 (1223 views)
Shortcut
Re: [reconmarine] How difficult to repair ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Hmm, the TV is kind of old so it might be. I'm not at home right now so I can't double check. But yes, if I wiggle the connector in the back or hit it lightly on the back, the picture comes back on for a few seconds or minutes before messing up again.

So would it be as simple as resoldering the connections on the vertical processor? I searched on the forum and read several people recommend to simply resolder the connections. As far as location, it seems like it should be on a heat sink? Would you happen to have an image of what a vertical processor looks like?

Thank you very much!

mel
Veteran

Jun 2, 2005, 10:16 PM

Post #5 of 6 (1220 views)
Shortcut
Re: [3ES] How difficult to repair ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Actually, the set is not that old and reconmarine is probably correct about the bad solder joint. The vertical IC is mounted vertically to a heat sync and is probably a P/N AN5512 identified as IC301. Be careful in doing the solder touchup that you do not create any solder bridges between the pins because they are very close together and it is easy to do.

3ES
New User

Jun 2, 2005, 11:58 PM

Post #6 of 6 (1213 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mel] How difficult to repair ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks mel, I will try to take apart the TV in a day or two and look around inside. I have a friend who is better at soldering so I'll be asking him to help me out. Thanks for the help everyone, and if anyone has anything else to add, feel free :)

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.20 s on (CGI/1.1)