Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
How to disable child lock on Magnavox 27MS343S without remote

TZ
New User

Sep 23, 2012, 11:15 PM

Post #1 of 7 (14755 views)
Shortcut
How to disable child lock on Magnavox 27MS343S without remote Can't Post

Hello, I have accidentally turned on the child lock (not parental lock) on my Magnavox 27MS343S for which I do not have a remote. Since the front panel is disabled, I can't hit the "power" button manually, and it stays in a standby mode when plugged in. I ordered a replacement remote (http://www.emtcompany.com/magnavox-2...mote/rc64.html), but it still won't power on. I also tried another universal remote, but no use. I wonder if these remotes need the TV to be "on" and not on standby to work. The thing is that this is a good TV and so I don't wish to discard it. This is so very frustrating. Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Thank you very much in advance.

jts1957
Veteran

Sep 24, 2012, 1:52 PM

Post #2 of 7 (14745 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TZ] How to disable child lock on Magnavox 27MS343S without remote [In reply to] Can't Post

From Owner's manual page # 27:
(Since this it the way to work the "Child Lock" feature, I don't see how it was put into "Child Lock" WITHOUT the remote.)
Child Lock allows you to lock the buttons on the
front of the TV.
1 Press MENU to show the on-screen
menu.
2 Press VOL+ or VOL- repeatedly until
SET is highlighted.
3 Press CH+ or CH- to highlight CHILD
LOCK.
4 Press VOL+ or VOL- to choose ON or
OFF.
Choose ON to disable all the buttons on
the front of the TV. CHILD LOCK ON
will appear briefly on the TV screen each
time you press a button on the front of
the TV.
You can still operate the TV with the
remote control.You can still use the
POWER button on the front of the TV,
but only to turn off the TV (not on).
Set CHILD LOCK to OFF to cancel this
feature so you can use the buttons on
the front of the TV again.
5 Press TV/AV/EXIT to remove the
menu from the screen.

http://download.m4c.magnavox.com/...27ms343s_dfu_aen.pdf

-------------------------

(This post was edited by jts1957 on Sep 24, 2012, 1:55 PM)

Ron.M
Veteran

Sep 24, 2012, 7:38 PM

Post #3 of 7 (14742 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TZ] How to disable child lock on Magnavox 27MS343S without remote [In reply to] Can't Post

TZ;....

Simple question;=>.....
Is the TV off now & it will not turn on with the remote OR the power button on the front panel ????
Simple answer.Yes or No...

To answer your question;=>....

I wonder if these remotes need the TV to be "on" and not on standby to work.

YES , the TV needs to be "on"....
Use the remote.....
Not the front panel power button....
If the set won't come on please post back....
THANKS....Sly...

BTW;....
This link does not work....
Webpage can not be found....
http://www.emtcompany.com/magnavox-2...mote/rc64.html

Later....Ron.M....Cool...
Veteran & Retired TV technician

(This post was edited by Ron.M on Sep 24, 2012, 8:15 PM)

TZ
New User

Sep 25, 2012, 8:30 PM

Post #4 of 7 (14726 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ron.M] How to disable child lock on Magnavox 27MS343S without remote [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Ron,

Yes, the TV is off now, and I cannot turn it back on with the replacement remote or with the front power button. The replacement remote was purchased from:
http://www.emtcompany.com/magnavox-27ms343s-remote/rc64.html

Even the 2nd (universal) remote didn't work, but I see from your response that this requires the TV to be on to work.

I just don't understand how to disable the child lock. Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Ron.M
Veteran

Sep 25, 2012, 8:48 PM

Post #5 of 7 (14724 views)
Shortcut

TZ;....

I just don't understand how to disable the child lock.

Disableing the child lock will be easy once we get the TV back working....
Your TV quit working...
In order to proceed , I need the following info;=>...
How much electronic/TV repair background experience do you have ????
Do you have a DMM (Analog is OK , or Digital Multi Meter)...
You will need to open up the TV to get it working again...
I have the service manual for your tV...

Please post with the info...
THANKS....

Later...Ron.M....Cool...

TZ
New User

Sep 30, 2012, 12:46 PM

Post #6 of 7 (14703 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ron.M] How to disable child lock on Magnavox 27MS343S without remote [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello--no, I do not have any electronics experience nor any instruments, but I can try and open up the TV.

Another thing: from what I have been reading, child lock disables all buttons on the front panel except the power button. The fact that my TV's power button switch is not quite functional (when I press it in, it doesn't quite go in; seems like a loose connection; so I never quite used it, just used to unplug the TV when not in use and used vol to get it out of standby) maybe adding to the problem. If the power button was not a problem, I can get it powered on, and out of standby, and then use the replacement remote to disable child lock using the menu key.

This makes me wonder: should I first try to resolve the power switch button issue, and then maybe everything will be easier?

Thank you.

Ron.M
Veteran

Sep 30, 2012, 5:05 PM

Post #7 of 7 (14698 views)
Shortcut

TZ;....

I do not have any electronics experience nor any instruments, but I can try and open up the TV.

Due to the lack of experience etc , I do not recommend you open up the TV....

from what I have been reading, child lock disables all buttons on the front panel except the power button.

100% correct....

The fact that my TV's power button switch is not quite functional (when I press it in, it doesn't quite go in; seems like a loose connection; so I never quite used it, just used to unplug the TV when not in use and used vol to get it out of standby) maybe adding to the problem.

IF that button is wedged in to the point that it is in the "on" mode always , then that would explain why the TV will not turn on...(Even with the remote..)

This makes me wonder: should I first try to resolve the power switch button issue, and then maybe everything will be easier?

Possibly...
You will have to figure that out on your own...
IF you can wiggle the pushbutton free , maybe , just maybe , you could free up the switch inside ....
IF not , your best route would be to take the TV in to a HONEST , REPUTABLE & TRUSTWORTHY TV repair shop & get an estimate (Hopefully free ..)

Do NOT take the TV apart as the controls (pushbuttons) are at the front of the TV & you have to remove the chassis to get at that panel....

Your call......

Good Luck....Sly....

Later....Ron.M....Cool....

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.23 s on (CGI/1.1)