Is my TV bad? or is it my antenna?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Astrovel
New User

Jun 27, 2009, 5:42 PM

Post #1 of 57 (3229 views)
Shortcut
Is my TV bad? or is it my antenna? Can't Post

The sound on my TV is lower than normal and I have to increase the volume to about 3/4 of the scale and sometimes you still can't understand what the dialogue is saying. This is while viewing the OTA networks.

When I put a DVD in my player, I have to turn the sound on the TV up full blast to hear the sound and again the dialogue is muffled. Especially when an actor is speaking in a low volume or whispering. The sound is almost inaudible. Doesn't matter which DVD it is. It happens with all of them. There is no sound settings on my DVD player.

I don't know if my TV sound is going out or what is causing the problem with the sound. Does anyone have any ideas as to what might cause this problem?

jts1957
Veteran

Jun 27, 2009, 6:57 PM

Post #2 of 57 (3227 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Astrovel] Is my TV bad? or is it my antenna? [In reply to] Can't Post

Your DVD doesn't use an antenna, you've answered your own question.

-------------------------

Ron.M
Veteran

Jun 27, 2009, 7:13 PM

Post #3 of 57 (3219 views)
Shortcut

Astrovel:.....

jts1957 is right....Your DVD player IS OK....However you have a problem in the audio system of your TV....In order to attempt to help you ANY further , we NEED a BRAND & MODEL #....

Later...Ron.M...Cool....
Veteran & Retired TV technician

Astrovel
New User

Jun 27, 2009, 7:31 PM

Post #4 of 57 (3217 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ron.M] Is my TV bad? or is it my antenna? [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks guys! The TV is a Dynex 32". The remote konked out on it about 3 weeks ago and they are supposed to be sending me a new one. When I checked the status, it said it is backordered from the factory until June 27.
When I called Best Buy for warranty information on the sound situation, they said they will send a tech out on July 3. I am just worried that they will say that because I can get 3/4 audio on the networks, that the DVD is the problem or that since my TV antenna needs adjusting, it couldn't be anything wrong with the TV.

I have to wait for my son to come and raise my antenna up higher and tighten down the guy wires. The last storm kind of turned the head of the antenna so that's why I am not getting all the channels in.

Since we have gone digital, the picture and audio has improved over the analog, but when there is a movie on, that's when the sound problems come in. The nightly news comes in quite good at 3/4. Movies and weekly series are another matter.

Thanks for relieving my mind. I guess I better get prepared for a fight on July 3.

jts1957
Veteran

Jun 27, 2009, 9:12 PM

Post #5 of 57 (3210 views)
Shortcut

Your DVD player should be a good source for testing the TV's audio. I assume it's like most DVD players, connected via composite or component outputs - NOT through the TV's tuner. Therefore it bypasses antenna and tuner/demodulator circuits.

-------------------------

Ron.M
Veteran

Jun 27, 2009, 9:32 PM

Post #6 of 57 (3208 views)
Shortcut

Astrovel;...

The TV is a Dynex 32".

Sorry, but I've NEVER heard of that brand...Doesn't mean we can't help,tho....What country are you in???

When I called Best Buy for warranty information on the sound situation, they said they will send a tech out on July 3.

Is your TV STILL under warranty ????...MAKE SURE....Otherwise HIDE your wallet...OR be prepared to dig DEEP....Find out what "Best Buy" is going to charge you for the service call ,etc, BEFORE they come out....Keep in mind that big companies charge big prices... You may want to consider an independent servicer....UNLESS it's "UNDER WARRANTY"...Then you should be covered...

I am just worried that they will say that because I can get 3/4 audio on the networks, that the DVD is the problem or that since my TV antenna needs adjusting, it couldn't be anything wrong with the TV.

The DVD is NOT the problem.!!!...Not sure about the antenna....
IF the pix is clean, NO pixelating & signal strength is good, then the antenna IS OK.!!!....
Your TV IS the problem !!!!...NO matter what !!!

I have to wait for my son to come and raise my antenna up higher and tighten down the guy wires. The last storm kind of turned the head of the antenna so that's why I am not getting all the channels in.

Not knowing where you're at , I'm not sure raising the antenna will help any...
If your analog stations came in OK before digital was broadcast , then you don't have to raise it at all...
Just make SURE it's pointed in the right direction...
Re-tightening guy wires is a good idea....

When you post again , PLEASE include a "MODEL NUMBER" !!!

Later....Ron.M...Cool.....

Astrovel
New User

Jun 27, 2009, 10:15 PM

Post #7 of 57 (3202 views)
Shortcut

Thanks guys! I'm sorry I forgot the model number. It is Dynex DX-LCD32-09. It is probably the cheapest TV that Best Buy sells but when your only income is Soc. Security you get what you can afford.

I am close to FW, Texas. Just SW.

Yes it is still under warranty until Aug.2.

And I think we are going to have to go up with the antenna because the trees around have grown up with leaves since we put the antenna up. But that is not a big deal except just getting the help to do it. A neighbor had to go up with his also.

Re the DVD it is highly rated on Amazon via customer reviews. It is a Toshiba DR560 upconverting DVD recorder/player with built in tuner. So I can receive the OTA broadcasts thru the DVD and they come in the same way as through the antenna. It is connected directly to the TV thru a HDMI cable. I have 2 HDMI slots on the TV and I have tried both of them to check the sound problem. Both are the same.

I can get Fox and NBC clearly, no pixelating. But can't get ABC,CBS. Some pixelating on PBS and the UHS ? channels, 21, 17, 33 etc. I got them all before the storm and before the digital switch. So I am pretty sure that the reception issue is the antenna but I just don't know if that would have anything to do with the sound. If the antenna were the problem, it wouldn't explain the DVD sound problem. True?

Thanks so much for both your inputs.

So, just stand firm on the TV as being the problem, right?

Paulpablo
Enthusiast

Jun 27, 2009, 10:54 PM

Post #8 of 57 (3201 views)
Shortcut

I think you have a TV and an antenna problem, but I don't think the antenna is causing your audio problem. Dynex is a house brand of Best Buy made in (where else) China. My suggestion is to remove the DVD player from the unit before the techie guy arrives and he can't blame the problem on that device! If the audio is low on your good reception channels, then you have a TV problem. I am sorry to be a messenger of bad news, but Dynex will cause you nothing but ( like a jilted lover) heartaches!

(This post was edited by Paulpablo on Jun 27, 2009, 11:14 PM)

Ron.M
Veteran

Jun 28, 2009, 12:18 AM

Post #9 of 57 (3192 views)
Shortcut

Astrovel;....

Yes it is still under warranty until Aug.2.

GLAD to hear that !!!

And I think we are going to have to go up with the antenna because the trees around have grown up with leaves since we put the antenna up. But that is not a big deal except just getting the help to do it

Your call....

I can get Fox and NBC clearly, no pixelating. But can't get ABC,CBS. Some pixelating on PBS and the UHS ?<=== EDIT: You mean "UHF"...That is the correct term... channels, 21, 17, 33 etc. I got them all before the storm and before the digital switch. So I am pretty sure that the reception issue is the antenna but I just don't know if that would have anything to do with the sound.

The pixelateing is due to the antenna being pointed in the wrong direction....With digital you either have sound OR you DON"T ...NO inbetween...So if you can only get 3/4 sound ,it's the TV....

If the antenna were the problem, it wouldn't explain the DVD sound problem. True? So, just stand firm on the TV as being the problem, right?

ONE LAST time , dear heart, the DVD & the antenna are NOT causing your sound problem....It's your TV !!!!

Listen to what Paulpablo said:==>
""I think you have a TV and an antenna problem, but I don't think the antenna is causing your audio problem.""
You have 2 opinions on your problem & guess what??? They're the same answer!!!

Also , I agree on his suggestion which is:==>
""My suggestion is to remove the DVD player from the unit before the techie guy arrives and he can't blame the problem on that device!""

I also suggest you fix the antenna BEFORE "Best Buy" comes over....That way they can't blame the antenna either...Since your warranty expires on Aug,2nd they "may" blame it on the antenna to buy time til the warranty expires then say Oooops....I call this "covering your a$$"....

PLEASE let us know your progress as it develops....OK.....Thanks....Sly....

GOOD LUCK....

Later...Ron.M...Cool....

Astrovel
New User

Jun 28, 2009, 4:10 AM

Post #10 of 57 (3185 views)
Shortcut

Thanks,Ron. I will try and get the antenna fixed tomorrow. If not, I will have to try and get some tv guy here in town to do it. Will let you know how I make out.
Appreciate your help

Ron.M
Veteran

Jun 28, 2009, 4:06 PM

Post #11 of 57 (3179 views)
Shortcut

Astrovel;...

""" Will let you know how I make out.""
That would be GREAT !!!

"""Appreciate your help """
You are very welcome...GLAD to help you out....

Later....Ron.M.....Cool....

Astrovel
New User

Jun 28, 2009, 5:35 PM

Post #12 of 57 (3177 views)
Shortcut

I called a guy with an ad in the paper who does antenna work to get a ballpark estimate to raise the antenna.

He said I wasn't getting ch 8 and 11 because I need a new antenna. The antenna I have though it is a digital, isn't receiving all the channels since they started moving their signals around after the digital switch. When I asked him how come I was getting those channels before the storm, he said that was before they started moving the signals around and my antenna is only receiving the UHF channels.
He said it would be $100 for one type of antenna but I might need a different type of antenna and that would $150. So altogether, it would run between $100-150 to $350.00. Gasp!
So I guess I am going to have to battle the TV techie until I can get my son over here to do my dirty work which most likely will be the 4th of July weekend.

I didn't even ask the guy if he gave a senior citizen discount. LOL. Wonder what he would have said.

This reminds me of when I called several tree trimmers to give me an estimate to come and clean up two large trees in my front yard. One guy estimated about $450. WHew!
Another guy said about $350. And a little Mexican guy said $80 but he wanted to do it right that moment at 7 pm at night and the only equipment he had was a 6 ft step ladder and a chain saw that extended out about 6 ft.
I was afraid he would lose his balance and fall off that small ladder and get hurt or saw through my electrical lines running through the tree so I declined. My trees still aren't trimmed. Will have to deal with it at another time. TV is number one priority now. LOL

Just thought you might enjoy the update.

Ron.M
Veteran

Jun 28, 2009, 6:52 PM

Post #13 of 57 (3173 views)
Shortcut

Astrovel:....
Thanks for that informative reply...Laugh....

He said it would be $100 for one type of antenna but I might need a different type of antenna and that would $150. So altogether, it would run between $100-150 to $350.00. Gasp!

DOUBLE GASP!!!

He said I wasn't getting ch 8 and 11 because I need a new antenna.

Here's what I want you to do NOW!!!..We need to find out where channels 8 & 11 went to...

GO NOW to this website:..==>

http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx

Click on "Choose an antenna"....
Enter your address & Zipcode ONLY...
No other info is needed to get the info we need...
Click on "Submit"....
Scroll down & you will see a list of all the channels in your area + which band they're on , how far to the stations antenna , their broadcast location , etc...
Check out where 8 (I'm guessing that's ABC in your area) & 11 (I'm guessing that would be CBS in your area) are NOW broadcasting...Here's how...
Look under the "Network" heading for ABC & CBS & maybe PBS....
Then go over to "RF Channel" column...
Write that info down.....
Next , click on "View Street Level Map"...
There you will see a map of your home location showing the compass like directions for each TV station that your antenna must be aimed at to get good reception...
You will also see a list on the top right that refers to each of the letters on the map...
Each letter has a list of channels that refers to the direction that you need to point your antenna for best results for the channels listed...

When you are done , post the channel info back to us ASAP...
& We'll see if your "guy with an ad in the paper who does antenna work" is telling the truth or not... PS: Did they come out & look at your antenna???

This is what's raising a red flag for me:==>

When I asked him how come I was getting those channels before the storm, he said that was before they started moving the signals around and my antenna is only receiving the UHF channels.

Reason is that BEFORE the changeover , Channels 8 & 11 WERE VHF....IF you got them OK , then you SHOULD STILL get ANY of the new VHF DTV channels...

So PLEASE go & get me that info....THANK you....Sly.....

Later...(NOT too much later)....Ron.M...Cool.....

(This post was edited by Ron.M on Jun 28, 2009, 6:53 PM)

Astrovel
New User

Jun 28, 2009, 7:13 PM

Post #14 of 57 (3170 views)
Shortcut

If I could post a picture on here, I could show you the map which I already printed out a few days ago from antennaweb.com. It shows both A (4.1,5.1,8.1,11.1,13.1,21.1,23.1,40.1,52.1) and B (2.1,27.1,33.1,49.1,68.1) in a V back to my location.

It also states that if there are trees or other things blocking the signal, that might interfere with reception. There is another neighbor down the way that has gone up higher on his antenna and my son said when he installed it that if it didn't hold, we may have to go up with it like our neighbor. So, when this guy right away said I needed a new antenna, I didn't think that was right.

Funny part about it is that I bought a brand new digital antenna and my son installed it and we couldn't get it to work right so he took it home, installed it at his house. Works fine. So he brought me his digital antenna that he recently bought and that is the one that I've been using and it has been fine up until the storm.

So we will find out when I get him over here to raise me up. LOL.
Thanks for your help

Ron.M
Veteran

Jun 28, 2009, 10:38 PM

Post #15 of 57 (3161 views)
Shortcut

Astrovel:....

If I could post a picture on here, I could show you the map which I already printed out a few days ago from antennaweb.com. It shows both A (4.1,5.1,8.1,11.1,13.1,21.1,23.1,40.1,52.1) and B (2.1,27.1,33.1,49.1,68.1) in a V back to my location.

That's NOT the info I wanted....Here's what I NEED!!! ==>

Click on "Submit"....
Scroll down & you will see a list of all the channels in your area + which band they're on , how far to the stations antenna , their broadcast location , etc...
Check out where 8 (I'm guessing that's ABC in your area) & 11 (I'm guessing that would be CBS in your area) are NOW broadcasting...Here's how...
Look under the "Network" heading for ABC & CBS & maybe PBS....
Then go over to "RF Channel" column... <<<===THIS IS WHAT I'M LOOKING FOR!!!!...FOR # 8 & 11...(ABC & CBS ??)
Write that info down.....

The map is for YOUR benefet when you repair the antenna....(Sorry, the bold type will not turn off, NOT my fault.)
By the looks of things , you have 6 VHF channels in your area...
Please update the info on channels 8 & 11 for me....Thanks...
Also:""PS: Did they come out & look at your antenna??? ""

Thank you.....I'm pretty sure I have an idea what's going on here....
After you answer the above I'll post my suspicions...

FYI:...
Like you, I'm retired & not making ends meet with those "wunnerful" Soc Sec checks...So I watch my pennies VERY closely....

Later....Ron.M....Cool.....

Astrovel
New User

Jun 28, 2009, 11:10 PM

Post #16 of 57 (3157 views)
Shortcut

Sorry Ron, I misunderstood what you needed.
It is the blue antenna type. 8.1 is in Dallas 69 deg 45.9 miles and RF 8
11.1 is in Fort Worth 70 deg 47.2 miles RF11
Hope this is the info you needed. It states I should be able to get all the channels listed under the blue category.
How would I know if I have a blue antenna?
Thanks for your help

Ron.M
Veteran

Jun 29, 2009, 12:17 AM

Post #17 of 57 (3151 views)
Shortcut

Astrovel:...

OK ...Good work....

How would I know if I have a blue antenna?

I'm not sure what those colors mean....Unsure.....(Found it , read on)
What matters is what band they're in....
That confirmed the obvious...
That being Chan's 8 & 11 did NOT move to the UHF band....
After you raise the antenna & secure it with the guy wires , you SHOULD be OK....
NO need to spend $350 OR ANY money on a new antenna...
Just make sure that your son points the antenna in the right direction...
BTW:...45 + miles is a LONG way to pull a station....
But IF you got them before, there's NO reason you shouldn't get them now....

PLEASE ANSWER THIS:==>PS: Did they come out & look at your antenna??? ""

I went back to the website & found this:==>

TV reception is determined by the size and type of antenna and the direction in which it is pointed. To determine the right antenna, use the color coded Antenna Type to select the channels that you wish to view. Antenna types are color coded according to the size and type of antenna needed for reception. The list is arranged in order of ease of reception, with the stations requiring the smallest multidirectional antenna at the top, to those requiring the largest directional antennas at the bottom.

What that means is the further you go down the list , the harder it's going to be to get those chans...
IE; Yellow being the easiest, Green being so-so & blue being the hardest to get....
But , once again, IF you got them before, you'll get them again...

BTW:...This guy:==>

And a little Mexican guy said $80 but he wanted to do it right that moment at 7 pm at night and the only equipment he had was a 6 ft step ladder and a chain saw that extended out about 6 ft.

Would have JUST chopped off your branches & LEFT them probably just laying on the ground for you to dispose of at your expense...
Any reputable tree trimmer usually has a shredder with them...
So you did the right thing by telling him "NO"...

Later....Ron.M.....Cool....

Astrovel
New User

Jun 29, 2009, 2:38 AM

Post #18 of 57 (3147 views)
Shortcut

Thanks, Ron. I am going to Home Depot tomorrow where my son bought this antenna and see if it is described the same as what the antennaweb site recommends. If not, I will buy what we need. If it is the same, then all we need to do is go up.
He can't get here before Friday because they are working 12-14 hr days and he doesn't get in until 7 or 8 at night. He drives a big rig hauling Chlorine to major cities for their water treatment and in the summertime they work the heck out of them.
To answer your question, No, I didn't have the guy come out and look at the antenna because I figured he would charge me a service call and when he gave me the estimate of $100- to $350, I just ended my conversation with him.
My son said the same thing you said, that he just wanted to sell me an antenna whether I needed it or not.
As soon as I can schedule it in my budget, I plan on getting my trees trimmed however there are trees beyond my property that is probably affecting the reception so we'll just have to hope that going up will solve the problem.
I truly appreciate all the help and advice you've given me. You are the best!

Ron.M
Veteran

Jun 29, 2009, 3:17 AM

Post #19 of 57 (3145 views)
Shortcut

Astrovel;.....

Thanks, Ron. I am going to Home Depot tomorrow where my son bought this antenna and see if it is described the same as what the antennaweb site recommends..

You are VERY welcome...Sly....When I went to the website , I did NOT get ANY recommendations!!!....HOW did you manage that ????

I'm a little confused as to why you are thinking about a new antenna....You said the one you have now worked before the changeover, right ???....Does this have to do with chan's 8 & 11 ???

No, I didn't have the guy come out and look at the antenna because I figured he would charge me a service call and when he gave me the estimate of $100- to $350, I just ended my conversation with him.

EXCELLENT decision !!!

Later....Ron.M...Cool....

(This post was edited by Ron.M on Jun 29, 2009, 3:23 AM)

Astrovel
New User

Jun 29, 2009, 5:15 AM

Post #20 of 57 (3133 views)
Shortcut

Oh...Sorry. Should have been more clear. It has a list of what the blue, yellow etc. colors mean. The blue is an antenna specified as "medium directional w/pre-amp"
I guess it spans over a particular direction and if you need to go farther there is a bigger one but I didn't write that one down.
Yes, the one I have on there now did work but I still got pixelation especially when the weather was bad so I just lived with it. We did get all the channels though. My son noticed that there were a lot of trees in the path though and that was why he said we may have to go up. But when I talked with him tonight, he said he had no idea what the box described it when he bought it. That's why I am going to check and see what the box says. If it is not a "medium directional w/pre amp" then that may be the problem and maybe we wouldn't have to go up....but still there are the trees???
We'll see when I check tomorrow.
Thanks again.

Ron.M
Veteran

Jun 29, 2009, 7:28 PM

Post #21 of 57 (3126 views)
Shortcut

Astrovel:...
I'm at a bit of a loss here!!!

The blue is an antenna specified as "medium directional w/pre-amp"

Where EXACTLY did you find this info at???

Later...Ron.M...Cool....

Astrovel
New User

Jun 29, 2009, 8:12 PM

Post #22 of 57 (3124 views)
Shortcut

OK, found it by accident. When you have the list of channels up showing the color you need and shows the RF and miles etc., under the channels there is a little UHF. If you click on that, you get the description of the area of what the blue antenna covers which actually covers more than just the blue section. It is pretty interesting how they did that.
Hope this info helps you find where I was looking.

Ron.M
Veteran

Jun 29, 2009, 8:44 PM

Post #23 of 57 (3123 views)
Shortcut

Astrovel;....

under the channels there is a little UHF. If you click on that, you get the description of the area of what the blue antenna covers which actually covers more than just the blue section.

Whooda thunk dat !!!....Crazy....
We live & we learn....
THANK you for telling me that....Sly....

It is pretty interesting how they did that.

Also VERY sneaky....

Have a GREAT week,
I'll expect to hear from you when you have made some progress...

Best regards.....Later....Ron.M...Cool....

Astrovel
New User

Jun 29, 2009, 11:43 PM

Post #24 of 57 (3115 views)
Shortcut

Howdy, Ron. Went to Home Depot today and they do not have that antenna. The only ones they have are the big ones with the big arms that stretch out on each side. He said to try WalMart or Radio Shack. Went to WM and the ones they have are exactly like what I have now. The box says that they pull in digital signals up to 20 miles. Sigh.Unsure
The lady said the nearest tower that pulls in our signals is 30 miles away (which is Cedar Hill) but this is the antenna everyone buys here. There was no mention on the box about a pre-amp which the lady said is probably a booster. They didn't have any boosters. She said if I was getting all the channels before, I should be able to get them now unless the cable came loose etc. But if that were the case, I wouldn't be getting any channels at all.

Didn't have time to go to Radio Shack to check on the booster but will do that tomorrow. I do remember having a booster on my old antenna (one of those big ugly spidery ones) before we put up the digital one. I don't see why I would need a booster if I was getting the signals before the storm and before the digital switch. I doubt they changed the directions of their transmissions that much.
So that is my story for today.
Thanks,

Ron.M
Veteran

Jun 30, 2009, 1:48 AM

Post #25 of 57 (3109 views)
Shortcut

Astrovel;.....

There was no mention on the box about a pre-amp which the lady said is probably a booster.

Wellllll sorta...
When it comes to antennas , the usual term is "antenna pre-amp"....
Some people call them "boosters"....
NOT entirely accurate...
IF theres NO mention on the box,chances are the antenna is NOT designed to accept a built-in pre-amp....
It's just a plain antenna....
There are pre-amps available that you can attach to those antennas....
NOT reccommended...See below...

She said if I was getting all the channels before, I should be able to get them now unless the cable came loose etc. But if that were the case, I wouldn't be getting any channels at all.

Not quite correct....
Depending on HOW the cable came loose , you still could get some reception , albeit NOT good....
BUT she's right about ==> ""She said if I was getting all the channels before, I should be able to get them now """

The box says that they pull in digital signals up to 20 miles.

I'm not sure that one will work....Maybe???

I doubt they changed the directions of their transmissions that much.

They did NOT change their locations (directions) , to my knowledge they ONLY changed the type of signal transmission...
For example , going from AM radio to FM broadcast...
Not a good comparison, but I think you get the idea....

IF you decide to buy an antenna pre-amp (booster) , get a good quality unit that works on UHF & VHF.....
Do NOT buy the cheapest thing there....
You'll regret it later....
Keep in mind that the antenna pre-amp mounts on the pole next to the antenna....

===>>You should consider an amplifier that goes INSIDE your home behind the TV...<<===
This is a better way to go since IF it goes bad ,(lightning etc) you won't have to lower that BIG outdoor antenna to replace it....

One question here that I need answered....
BEFORE the storm , did you get ALL the channels in PERFECT??
And are we talking With or Without the booster???

Later....Ron.M...Cool....

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.26 s on (CGI/1.1)