Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
LG Controller sensor problem??

MikeMasonUK
New User

Jan 25, 2018, 11:06 PM

Post #1 of 9 (826 views)
Shortcut
LG Controller sensor problem?? Can't Post

Hello, I've been given a LG TV which has a problem with remote controls. When I plug my Blu-Ray player into the mains. The TV remote control does not work properly (even without turning the Blu-Ray player on). I need to get within about 5 feet of the TV in order for the remote to work. This is also true for the Blu-Ray remote. I need to get within 5 feet of the Blu-Ray player for the Blu-Ray player to be able to pick up the remote control.

When the TV is disconnected from the mains. The remote for the Blu-Ray player works fine. I can stand 20 feet away and it'll work properly.

When the Blu-Ray player is unplugged from the mains. Most of the TV controller buttons works properly. The TV guide button doesn't work properly and neither does the direction arrows. They work absolutely fine when I'm about 5 feet away from the TV.

I've cleaned the remote control and put in new batteries.

Does anyone know what this problem is? Thanks!

jts1957
Veteran

Jan 26, 2018, 12:13 AM

Post #2 of 9 (824 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MikeMasonUK] LG Controller sensor problem?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Can't do much research without specifics.

-------------------------

MikeMasonUK
New User

Jan 26, 2018, 10:55 AM

Post #3 of 9 (811 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] LG Controller sensor problem?? [In reply to] Can't Post

I've almost been as specific as I can be. I've tried two different makes of Blu-Ray player so that part of the problem doesn't need to be elaborated on.

I can't detail the problem any better than I have. I repair computers and laptops for a living. I've only ever repaired a bunch of television. This will be a standard problem.

I can give you the model number which is 50PV350T.

What else do you want to know? Your asking for "specifics". Can I ask you to be specific about the "specifics" you would like to know. As I don't know what these are.

(This post was edited by MikeMasonUK on Jan 26, 2018, 10:59 AM)

jts1957
Veteran

Jan 26, 2018, 6:53 PM

Post #4 of 9 (800 views)
Shortcut

Remote receiver or Main Board are most likely.

MikeMasonUK
New User

Jan 26, 2018, 8:12 PM

Post #5 of 9 (796 views)
Shortcut

Thanks a lot mate. I've changed a couple of main boards in my time but never a remote receiver. Are they easy to replace? Where is the best place I can find these parts?

Cheers!

jts1957
Veteran

Jan 26, 2018, 8:31 PM

Post #6 of 9 (795 views)
Shortcut

I'm not on your side of the big pond.

MikeMasonUK
New User

Jan 26, 2018, 11:49 PM

Post #7 of 9 (792 views)
Shortcut

Are they easy to replace though? Are they soldered or attached by screws? Is it located right by where the LED light is on the front? As every time it registers a button push, it flashes.

If I knew where to locate it. I may be able to pull off a serial code from it. Making finding the part easier. As a lot of TV's use the same parts even though they are different makes and models.

jts1957
Veteran

Jan 27, 2018, 12:21 AM

Post #8 of 9 (791 views)
Shortcut

Screws/clips; Bottom right (viewed from front).

S/N usually not needed, but is usually on TV back.

As the TV's remote's range decreases once item is connected, I'd hedge towards Main Board.

MikeMasonUK
New User

Jan 28, 2018, 12:53 AM

Post #9 of 9 (767 views)
Shortcut

Ok, I've now tried a Samsung Blu-Ray player and that works absolutely fine with the TV. I guess the other two were interfering with the infrared in the TV.

I still get the problem with the TV remote control only working when it's within 5 feet of the TV. My uncle has a smart phone with infrared on it. We mapped it to the TV and the exact same thing happens. It works absolutely fine within 5 feet and then stops working once you get further away (some of the buttons work 70% of the time others don't work at all once you get 5 feet away)

This has lead me to conclude it's not the TV remote but the TV remote receiver as suggested by jts1957.

I've managed to find the serial number of the TV remote receiver and have bought one for £8 with free p+p. It came out of a LG but a different model however the screen size was the same so I'm 100% sure it's compatible. They are also selling it as working and tested.

I'm going to change the IR receiver inside the TV when it comes. I'll post again hopefully with news that it's been fixed!

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.22 s on (CGI/1.1)