Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Magnavox TS2760 C101 TV - no picture and motor sound

rbhall1952
New User

Feb 8, 2010, 5:09 PM

Post #1 of 23 (2334 views)
Shortcut
Magnavox TS2760 C101 TV - no picture and motor sound Can't Post

My father-in-law has a Magnavox TS2760 C101 TV that will turn on, but has no picture and has a motor sound that varies with the volume on the TV. From what he told me, the motor sound goes up with the volume going up. The lack of a picture would tell me his high voltage is gone. Would that also affect the sound, making it sound like a motor?

rbhall1952

FUXER
User

Feb 10, 2010, 9:02 AM

Post #2 of 23 (2322 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rbhall1952] Magnavox TS2760 C101 TV - no picture and motor sound [In reply to] Can't Post

Um- what sort of motor- Chevy?-if so jts seems to be cognisant with that particular brand!. Joking aside- assume set is older crt?. If so motor-boating sound can indicate audio fault- the lack of video could be anything from B+ to tuner to toob etc- no quick answers here - your ref to high voltage missing means nothing here- could be present. This, as in most tv repairs, needs an experienced tech to suss out.

jts1957
Veteran

Feb 10, 2010, 10:58 AM

Post #3 of 23 (2321 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rbhall1952] Magnavox TS2760 C101 TV - no picture and motor sound [In reply to] Can't Post

Bad electrolytic(s) in power supply highly probable.Wink

-------------------------

Ron.M
Veteran

Feb 10, 2010, 9:56 PM

Post #4 of 23 (2314 views)
Shortcut

rbhall1952;....

I'm willing to give this a shot...
But 1st , I need to ask some questions....
How much , if any , Electronic/TV Repair experience do you have ???...
Is the TV at your location or your father-in-laws ???...
Was the set dropped recently ???

jts1957 "may" have the right answer , but I would like to dig a bit deeper....

The lack of a picture would tell me his high voltage is gone.

NOT necessarily.....

Let's run a simple test to find out...
Pull up your shirt sleeves past your elbows....
Place your bare forearm in parrallel about an inch or so in front of the TV screen...
Your forearm should be running across the front of the TV from left to right...
Now turn on the TV....Have NO fear...This is 100% safe...NO shock hazard at all...
IF you have high voltage , you should feel it in the hair of your forearm....A tingly sensation....
PLEASE Post results....

Also , PLEASE answer ALL my questions & I will do my best to help you....Sly....

Thanks & GOOD LUCK...

Later....Ron.M....Cool....
Veteran & Retired TV technician

jts1957
Veteran

Feb 11, 2010, 12:50 AM

Post #5 of 23 (2307 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ron.M] Magnavox TS2760 C101 TV - no picture and motor sound [In reply to] Can't Post

Like this?:

Is that a smile or a grimace?

-------------------------

(This post was edited by jts1957 on Feb 11, 2010, 12:51 AM)

Ron.M
Veteran

Feb 11, 2010, 4:54 AM

Post #6 of 23 (2301 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Magnavox TS2760 C101 TV - no picture and motor sound [In reply to] Can't Post

jts1957;....

Absatively & Posalutely....

Later...Ron.M....Cool....

(This post was edited by Ron.M on Feb 11, 2010, 4:54 AM)

rbhall1952
New User

Feb 12, 2010, 3:23 AM

Post #7 of 23 (2288 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ron.M] Magnavox TS2760 C101 TV - no picture and motor sound [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a fair amount of electronic/tv repair experience. I have repaired several tv's over the years, though it has been a few years since I did so. I used to read Jack Darr to see how to diagnose things.

Unfortunately, the tv is at my father-in-law's house. I can get him to do some of the testing. He used to work with radar and knows something about these things. I will ask if the tv was dropped recently, but I doubt it. He would not try to move it or pick it up - he uses a walker now. His wife would not try to do so either.

I had forgotten about your simple "hair raising" test for high voltage. I will ask him to do that to check things and let you know.

By the way, are you the tech who helped me some months ago with the location of my wife's small, portable Sansui tv that I had put on top of the refrigerator?

rbhall1952

Ron.M
Veteran

Feb 12, 2010, 7:07 PM

Post #8 of 23 (2279 views)
Shortcut

rbhall1952;....

By the way, are you the tech who helped me some months ago with the location of my wife's small, portable Sansui tv that I had put on top of the refrigerator?

If that's the set that had "color blotches" , Yes , it probably was me...Others were involved also & I think jts1957 was there too....
If I remember correctly , there was a big "ta do" about whether or not the top of the fridge was causing magnetism or was magnetized....
What is the bottom line on that set , anyway ???

Back to the Magnavox;....

Unfortunately, the tv is at my father-in-law's house.I can get him to do some of the testing.

This "may" be a problem since I'm going to ask you to make certain circuit checks that I'm very leary of asking your father-in-law to do....
NO disrespect here , but he "may" not be able to comprehend "hand me down" instructions & Radar is an entirely different animal compared to TV....
I'm going to ask you to check certain things in the power supply that he "may" not recognize nor understand how & what we're doing....
Not to mention the logistics of where the TV is & you are located...
ie;...How many miles away is it ???
Since he can't move it or pick it up , it might be a good idea to bring the TV to your home to save some time explaining things for him to do , waiting for results from him , posting those results , waiting for a reply , etc , etc ,etc....
You see what I'm saying ???...
Are you able to take & post pix if needed ??? <<VERY important !!! PLEASE answer....

I used to read Jack Darr to see how to diagnose things.

I used to "watch" Jack Paar on TV years ago....Wink....I know , not even close....Unsure....

Let me know what you decide to do & the results of the "hair" check....THANKS....

rbhall1952
New User

Feb 12, 2010, 8:49 PM

Post #9 of 23 (2277 views)
Shortcut

As for the Sansui portable tv with the color blotches, it is working perfectly on a tv table in a corner of the kitchen away from the refrigerator.

Now, about the Magnavox. Due to circumstances that I am not liberty to elaborate on, I cannot work on or check on the tv at the grandparents' house. I will have to find a way to get it to my house to work on, as you suggest. I have a digital multimeter to check things, along with a high voltage probe bought many years ago, so I can check whatever needs checking. I will let you know when I have worked out getting it to my house. Then we will do the other checks that you have in mind.

I will contact my father-in-law this weekend and have him do the arm hair high voltage check when he is in that part of the house - I will let you know the results.

By the way, is there a way to get a schematic diagram for this tv? That would make it easier to work on, at least for me.

rbhall1952

Ron.M
Veteran

Feb 13, 2010, 12:49 AM

Post #10 of 23 (2269 views)
Shortcut

rbhall1952;....

By the way, is there a way to get a schematic diagram for this tv? That would make it easier to work on, at least for me.

Me , too...
According to my websearch , that set has a "B5" chassis....
You may want to verify that by looking on the model # label...
I've had no luck finding a free version of that manual....Unsure....

BTW; Let's not forget to answer this;=>...Sly..

Are you able to take & post pix if needed ??? <<VERY important !!! PLEASE answer....

Let me know when you are ready....Sly....

rbhall1952
New User

Feb 13, 2010, 7:13 AM

Post #11 of 23 (2262 views)
Shortcut

My wife wrote down the serial number, model number, and chassis number. The chassis number is 27B508-00AA.

rbhall1952

Ron.M
Veteran

Feb 13, 2010, 6:48 PM

Post #12 of 23 (2256 views)
Shortcut

rbhall1952;.....

This is NOT a difficult thing to do...It requires only a 2 letter or a 3 letter reply !!!

3rd request !!!

BTW; Let's not forget to answer this;=>...Sly..

Are you able to take & post pix if needed ??? <<VERY important !!! PLEASE answer....<<<

Let me know when you are ready....Sly....

rbhall1952
New User

Feb 13, 2010, 7:22 PM

Post #13 of 23 (2252 views)
Shortcut

Yes, I can get and post pictures once I have the tv at my house, which should be in the near future.

Also, my father-in-law said he would try the high voltage arm test and let me know what happens soon.

rbhall1952

Ron.M
Veteran

Feb 13, 2010, 7:27 PM

Post #14 of 23 (2251 views)
Shortcut

rbhall1952;....

Excellent !!!

THANK you VERY much for your answers !!! ...Sly...

Later...Ron.M.....Cool...

(This post was edited by Ron.M on Feb 13, 2010, 7:29 PM)

rbhall1952
New User

Mar 23, 2010, 3:16 PM

Post #15 of 23 (2211 views)
Shortcut

I finally have this TV at my house. I took the back off because I was wondering about the picture tube itself.

I had forgotten to do the high voltage arm test, which I will do within a few days.

Anyway, the back is off, and I plugged the power back in and turned the TV on and watched the rear of the picture tube, and no filaments heating up at all that i can see.

The sound is more of a whining sound - reminds me of the sound made by a high voltage arc. It is clearly coming through both speakers.

Also, I am going to double check my cable connection, because I want to be sure I am feeding the TV a good signal. Seems that I should at least have sound from the channels, unless there is a problem with a power supply.

There is a single large circuit board for this TV. If the picture tube is ok, then I will buy a service manual so I can fix the TV with your help. Thanks.

rbhall1952

Ron.M
Veteran

Mar 23, 2010, 6:07 PM

Post #16 of 23 (2205 views)
Shortcut

rbhall1952;.....

Thought we lost ya there for awhile....Wink....
Good to see ya back...Smile.....

No need to run the "Arm hair" test....
Since you do NOT see any filament in the CRT & you hear a whining sound , chances are there's NO high voltage....
No need to worry about a cable connection either , since you have this whining sound & no HV , I suspect a problem in the Horiz output circuit OR the power supply...
Chances are that the pix tube is NOT the problem....Laugh....

Before you go buying a service manual , lets try posting a GOOD top view pix of the chassis...
I got some feelers out trying to get the manual for free....

Later...Ron.M....Cool......

rbhall1952
New User

Mar 25, 2010, 9:25 PM

Post #17 of 23 (2196 views)
Shortcut

I don't know if these pictures are good enough, but here are four I took last night with my cell phone camera - my daughter has our digital camera :(.

These pictures are all described as if you were at the rear of the TV looking toward the front of the TV.

rbhall1952

Ron.M
Veteran

Mar 25, 2010, 9:53 PM

Post #18 of 23 (2195 views)
Shortcut

rbhall1952;....

Not good pix at all.... NICE try tho !!!....Smile....
Let's wait till you get the digital camera.....Wink.....
When you get it , take the pix with the
chassis slid out of the set as far as you can
without pulling wires off & NOT showing the CRT...OK..Laugh.......
What I'm trying to do here , is identify certain parts & their locations....

THANK you.....Wink....

Later...Ron.M.....Cool....

rbhall1952
New User

Apr 29, 2010, 1:36 PM

Post #19 of 23 (2156 views)
Shortcut

I got our digital camera back and took some pictures, but I did not read your instructions closely enough, so I will take some more pictures as per your instructions by 4/30/10 and post them. Sorry for the delay - I have been very busy lately and it slipped my mind.

rbhall1952

Ron.M
Veteran

Apr 29, 2010, 7:45 PM

Post #20 of 23 (2145 views)
Shortcut

rbhall1952;....

GOOD to see you are STILL alive & hopefully healthy.....Laugh....

Do you have a good ESR meter or a cap checker ???...
Also , PLEASE double check the Chassis #....
I've got a bit of confusion as to whether it's a 27B508 OR 27E508 chassis....

THANKS....Wink....

See ya soon ????

rbhall1952
New User

Apr 29, 2010, 8:09 PM

Post #21 of 23 (2142 views)
Shortcut

I admit that I am not sure what an ESR meter is, so I just looked it up. One website says it measures the "equivalent series resistance" of an electrolytic capacitor. I do not have one and have never used one. <br><br>I do have a Kelvin pro 400 DMM, which has a capacitor checker built into it right on the dial. I have not used it, so I will have to read the manual for this one. <br> <br>Also, I will double check the chassis number for you tonight. <br> <br>All of this brings back memories of when I fixed a color TV for some friends. Fortunately for me with my limited experience at the time, it was a TV with tubes in it and not very hard to fix. The horizontal output tube was bad if memory serves, or the tube it either fed or was fed by(plate lit up and glowed red within seconds of turning the TV on) - just needed to resolder all of the base pins and things worked well. <br> <br>Thanks again for your help with this TV. <br><br> <br>I have just been reading up on ESR testing, and I should mention that I have a portable digital oscilloscope that may be helpful. I think the bandwidth is 5mhz. <br><br>By the way, the TV chassis is definitely 27B508.

rbhall1952

(This post was edited by rbhall1952 on Apr 30, 2010, 4:33 AM)

rbhall1952
New User

Jun 17, 2010, 1:35 PM

Post #22 of 23 (2099 views)
Shortcut

Also, I wanted to let you know that I have been so busy with other things at home, that this tv repair will have to wait until July. Sorry for the delay.

If I can remember to take better pictures like you requested, I will post them within the next week or two.

rbhall1952

btwaries
New User

Jun 17, 2010, 5:15 PM

Post #23 of 23 (2096 views)
Shortcut

yeah, you should just call for help on your problem. There are lots of technicians there to help you.
Unlocked Cell Phones

(This post was edited by btwaries on Jun 17, 2010, 5:21 PM)

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.25 s on (CGI/1.1)