Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Magnavox has power, doesnt turn on

zachtheterrible
New User

Feb 16, 2005, 11:22 PM

Post #1 of 3 (1208 views)
Shortcut
Magnavox has power, doesnt turn on Can't Post

Hi there. I just recently inherited a Magnavox TV from a friend that does not work. I am an electronics hobbyist, so I've got a very good understanding of electronics and know how to solder.

My purpose for this TV is not to watch TV, but to make a jacob's ladder with the flyback transformer. A jacob's ladder is one of those things that you see a lot of times in old black n white frankenstein movies in the lab. It is two V shaped poles with a spark that rises up in between them. Of course mine will be a miniature version. I do not plan on removing the transformer from the board, since there are many operations that happen on the board to keep the transformer running, if I took it off the board, I would have to duplicate those.

QUESTION:
The TV is getting power, I know that the fuse is not blown. The reason is because I plugged it in to see if it would work, of course it didn't, so when I unplugged it I put a screwdriver across the leads of a rather large capacitor and got a healthy pop.

Also, the speakers do not work. I tried hitting the power button and then turning up the volume, but there was no static sound. I also tried turning it off and on a couple of times to see if I heard anything, just in case there is an automute.

Any suggestions? Thank youSmile

shadetree
Veteran

Feb 17, 2005, 5:36 PM

Post #2 of 3 (1199 views)
Shortcut
Re: [zachtheterrible] Magnavox has power, doesnt turn on [In reply to] Can't Post

replace voltage regulator ic usually str30130

zachtheterrible
New User

Feb 18, 2005, 3:08 AM

Post #3 of 3 (1188 views)
Shortcut
Re: [zachtheterrible] Magnavox has power, doesnt turn on [In reply to] Can't Post

wow shadetree, right on the buttonWink. That is the exact voltage regulator that is in there.

Is there any way of shorting it out or something so that the flyback transformer would produce it's 25kv? That's really all I care about. Even if it ruins other things, i don't care . . .

Thank you

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.19 s on (CGI/1.1)