Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Magnavox with Rainbow screen

truetrue
New User

Aug 20, 2004, 7:55 AM

Post #1 of 3 (1506 views)
Shortcut
Magnavox with Rainbow screen Can't Post

Well, I do not know much about TV's besides setting them up, but I am having a physical problem with the screen. I got this TV a year ago almost to the date, but about a month ago I moved it and set it face down on a couch. Then when I set it back up it turned on and the screen is separated into different colors. The top is blue the middle is green and there is a little red in the corner. The funny thing is when i place it back on the ground with the face down I get the proper full blue screen. Is my TV dead? Why did this happen to this TV and not the other older one next to it?

Some one please help me I don't want to buy a new TV!!!

shadetree
Veteran

Aug 20, 2004, 5:17 PM

Post #2 of 3 (1494 views)
Shortcut
Re: [truetrue] Magnavox with Rainbow screen [In reply to] Can't Post

picture tube needs demagnitized you will have to buy or borrow a degaussing coil also the thermister inside the set by where the degaussing coil comes from around picture tubeis piugged in may have broken loose and need resoldering it's about the size of a dime

mel
Veteran

Aug 20, 2004, 9:39 PM

Post #3 of 3 (1486 views)
Shortcut
Re: [truetrue] Magnavox with Rainbow screen [In reply to] Can't Post

Actually, any appliance which creates an AC magnetic field such as a drill motor, hair dryer, soldering gun can be used. Just place the TV in the position in which it will remain. Turn on the appliance and hold it close to the face of the PIX. You should see a rainbow affect in the proximity of the PIX face. Revolve the appliance in a circular motion around the face of the PIX and slowly move it away. Your best bet is to replace the deguassing thermistor as Shadetree suggests but this will at least give you a cheap and quick fix.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.19 s on (CGI/1.1)