F.A.Q.

Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Mitsubishi WD-60737 DLP with sound but no picture - Changed lamp & Ballast

hunter636363
New User

Oct 19, 2011, 6:59 PM

Post #1 of 9 (55570 views)
Shortcut
Mitsubishi WD-60737 DLP with sound but no picture - Changed lamp & Ballast Can't Post

I have a Mitsubishi WD-60737 DLP with sound but no picture. (Red light on front panel) I replaced the lamp (original one was blown w/ glass all inside of it) & the screen came on the first time I started it & the tv worked fine, but the next time I went to start it, sound came on but no picture for a few minutes, & then the tv shut off & the red light came back on & the screen/lamp would not start up - The new Mitsubishi lamp is still good, so I researched on the internet & it said to try changing the ballast, which powers the lamp -
I ordered the correct ballast & installed it, but this did not fix the problem & the issue remains...Red light on front panel after a few minutes, tv has sound but no picture. (Occasionally when you try to turn it on, there is no sound & no picture, & one time it came on just fine for whatever reason & worked perfect, but did not work again once we shut it off) I have tried resetting it many times, but the problem remains.

Could it possibly be the main power supply? Any help at this point would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a million for you help!

Kevin

(This post was edited by hunter636363 on Oct 19, 2011, 11:05 PM)

hunter636363
New User

Nov 1, 2011, 6:58 PM

Post #2 of 9 (55427 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hunter636363] Mitsubishi WD-60737 DLP with sound but no picture - Changed lamp & Ballast [In reply to] Can't Post

UPDATE: I just replaced the full power supply board, & it did not fix the problem, & the red lamp still comes on...I have now replaced the lamp, ballast, & power supply, & lamp issue is still there. I am still able to get my tv to come on fully occasionally, & it will stay on & work perfectly until I shut it down again (which means I have to leave the friggin' thing on all day) Other days it will not come an at all after many, many tries, just sound no picture.

I am not sure what steps to take next, because anything that has to do with powering the lamp, has now been replaced with a new one. I double checked & found that my new lamp that I ordered & installed is actually an "OEM Compatible" lamp & not an actual Phillips or Mitsubishi lamp. I wonder if this could be an issue??? Again the strange thing is that the lamp will occasionally power up & work just fine, so I know the lamp is not bad???

Any help at all at this point would be Wonderful ;o)

jts1957
Veteran

Nov 1, 2011, 8:01 PM

Post #3 of 9 (55422 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hunter636363] Mitsubishi WD-60737 DLP with sound but no picture - Changed lamp & Ballast [In reply to] Can't Post

http://elektrotanya.com/...sm.pdf/download.html

When you say the lamp won't fire sometimes are you saying there is a "lamp enable" signal coming from the optical engine to the ballast but the ballast can't light the bulb or is the "lamp enable" signal not present sometimes? Check connector FB pin 4 for lamp enable.

Was the lamp installed an original Mitsubishi 915B403001? Substitutions and bare bulb relamps don't work well at all in these sets. You might try to retrieve the error code when it fails to strike. When set shutsdown, hold "activity" button and "channel down" button on front panel to activate LED diagnostics. An error code of 66 or 34 is almost always a lamp. An error code of 57 is usually the ballast.

-------------------------

74f100
Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2011, 12:18 PM

Post #4 of 9 (55420 views)
Shortcut

The 737 series has an error log. If you do the above error code retrieval, you will get a blinking led for the logged errors.

Every time I've had this happen, it was a bad lamp. I've had new lamps from Mitsu fail.
HDMI not working

hunter636363
New User

Nov 4, 2011, 11:48 PM

Post #5 of 9 (55402 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Mitsubishi WD-60737 DLP with sound but no picture - Changed lamp & Ballast [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks to both of you for the diagnostic check info! I did not know how to do that. The code I am getting is 6,6, which I am assuming is a lamp code, even though I know the lamp is not blown? Again the lamp/tv will work just fine, (maybe 15% of the time) but some times it takes quite a few turn on's & resets to get the lamp to turn on, otherwise the tv just fires up for a few minutes with only sound, & then shuts itself off with the steady red light.
The new lamp that I installed has the Mitsubishi part #915B403001, & says it's for Missubishi tv's, but it is not an original Phillips or Osram, & the company claims it's OEM compatible. (This was the entire housing & bulb, & not just the bulb, and it looks identical to the original) The lamp/housing has a 6 month warranty, so should I send it back for another one, even if this one still comes on sometimes?
Thanks a million for your input...Much appreciated!

74f100
Enthusiast

Nov 8, 2011, 1:42 PM

Post #6 of 9 (55367 views)
Shortcut

Yes, send it back. Only use original Mitsu lamps in that TV. Mitsubishi sells those lamps to the public at dealer cost, and if I remember correctly, that lamp is $99.
HDMI not working

hunter636363
New User

Nov 19, 2011, 5:17 AM

Post #7 of 9 (55278 views)
Shortcut
Re: [74f100] Mitsubishi WD-60737 DLP with sound but no picture - Changed lamp & Ballast [In reply to] Can't Post

A NEW LAMP DID THE TRICK!!!!! Thanks again for you help. I went to return the lamp to the company that I purchased it from, & explained everything & this was their reply:
"I am very sorry for the inconvenience this lamp has caused. We were trying a new manufacturer of the lamp for about 7 days at the end of September/beginning of October and the startup voltages were incorrect so we have pulled them. We continue to carry a model without these issues, that is completely in spec with the original. If you would like to try one of these (defect rate is less than 1%)"
Needless to say, they sent me a new lamp overnight free of charge & it works perfectly! Just wish I would have contacted the lamp company sooner, so I wouldn't have bought/intalled a new ballast & power supply...But since the lamp would still come on occasionally, I assumed that it was not the issue...
Oh well, maybe this will help someone with a similar problem in the future ;o)

ARYankee
New User

Feb 1, 2012, 9:12 PM

Post #8 of 9 (54795 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Mitsubishi WD-60737 DLP with sound but no picture - Changed lamp & Ballast [In reply to] Can't Post

How do you read the error code? Is it displayed or am I counting flashes of the LED? I have the same problem with my TV and I want to make sure that it gives me a code for the Lamp. Thanks. <br>

(This post was edited by ARYankee on Feb 1, 2012, 9:14 PM)

ARYankee
New User

Feb 1, 2012, 9:47 PM

Post #9 of 9 (54794 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ARYankee] Mitsubishi WD-60737 DLP with sound but no picture - Changed lamp & Ballast [In reply to] Can't Post

Ok. I have the code thing figured out. At least I called my wife and had her do it. She says we are getting a code 33. We got our TV back in 2009. I saw some where about the 2009 and older ones have a different code? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.21 s on (CGI/1.1)