Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
My Panasonic TV isn't well!

ArthurLee
New User

Sep 8, 2004, 9:49 AM

Post #1 of 2 (1463 views)
Shortcut
My Panasonic TV isn't well! Can't Post

Here’s the thing. About 3 weeks ago, my Panasonic TV started to switch to standby mode quite regularly and, during the times it was viewable, the picture was ‘squashed and grainy’. I got a bit sick of this so I took the back off the TV. At this point, I should explain that I am not a TV engineer! The inside was very, very dusty so I used a soft brush attachment from my vacuum cleaner and gave it a good clean. I looked to see if there were any obvious breaks in the circuit boards but couldn’t find anything.

Anyway, when I re-assembled the TV, by some strange fluke, it worked perfectly! Until a few days ago that is. The same problems started to manifest themselves. By chance, I happened to be socializing and got talking to a TV engineer who was ‘absolutely certain’ that my TV had ‘dry joints’ and that it would need a little soldering work. He said he would do the work for me but, after calling him a couple of times, he’s either too busy or he’s not at work. I get the distinct feeling he really doesn’t want to do it and I don’t want to push him any further.

My questions are

Does this sound feasible (ie dry joints)?

Is it a big job to fix (I don’t know how to solder)?

How much, on average, would it cost to have the remedial work done by a professional?

Thank you for your help.

mel
Veteran

Sep 8, 2004, 11:40 PM

Post #2 of 2 (1451 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ArthurLee] My Panasonic TV isn't well! [In reply to] Can't Post

He is probably right about the bad solder joints. If you have 25 watt soldering iron and are careful, the repair should not be to difficult. Just check the botttom of the PCB for any grainy looking solder joints and touch them up with a little rosin core solder. Just s little solder will do and make sure that you do not create solder bridges between adjacent components. You might also want to check out www.FreeFlatScreens.com/default.aspx?referer=7509165 for an opportuntity to earn a free replacement for this set with a little effort on your part.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.22 s on (CGI/1.1)