Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Negative Image Sony KV36HS510 **Now with Photo**

scottz
New User

May 28, 2005, 2:54 PM

Post #1 of 10 (1392 views)
Shortcut
Negative Image Sony KV36HS510 **Now with Photo** Can't Post

Just bought this 36" CRT TV. Occaisionally, parts of the picture change to an almost negative image; dark portions appear light or white. It only lasts for a second or so. It seems to be associated with the signal it is receiving because I have a show on tape that does it every time I play a certain portion. Don't know if it means anything, but it appears to happen more often during commercials.

TV is connected to analog cable through a DVD(player, not recorder)/VHS unit.

Any ideas what this is? Should I be concerned and contact Sony for warranty work?

Thanks

Photo

http://community.webshots.com/...m/350973984sdTLLQ?25

(This post was edited by scottz on May 29, 2005, 11:12 PM)

t0nito
User

May 28, 2005, 8:25 PM

Post #2 of 10 (1383 views)
Shortcut
Re: [scottz] Negative Image Sony KV36HS510 **Now with Photo** [In reply to] Can't Post

Have you tried hooking the DVD/VCR recorder to another tv? It looks like those are digitizing artifacts from your dvd/vcr recorder, most if not all dvd recorders digitize video in real-time. Try connecting another tv to the recorder or hooking the cable directly to the tv and see if the problem persists.

scottz
New User

May 28, 2005, 8:38 PM

Post #3 of 10 (1382 views)
Shortcut
Re: [t0nito] Negative Image Sony KV36HS510 **Now with Photo** [In reply to] Can't Post

I am seeing the problem with the DVD/VCR off, so don't think that is it. But, I will connect the cable directly to the TV to see if there is a change.

Thanks

scottz
New User

May 28, 2005, 9:38 PM

Post #4 of 10 (1381 views)
Shortcut
Re: [scottz] Negative Image Sony KV36HS510 **Now with Photo** [In reply to] Can't Post

No help there. Ran the cable directly into the TV, problem still there.

t0nito
User

May 29, 2005, 7:51 PM

Post #5 of 10 (1370 views)
Shortcut

That's really odd, have you tried hooking up another tv to check if it's a problem with the cable provider?

scottz
New User

May 29, 2005, 11:10 PM

Post #6 of 10 (1366 views)
Shortcut
Re: [t0nito] Negative Image Sony KV36HS510 **Now with Photo** [In reply to] Can't Post

It does not do it on my other TV. Like I mentioned, I have a tape that always does it at a certain spot. I can play that tape on another TV and it is ok.

I wonder if it could be one of the options set incorrectly?
Just watched an old movie (Midway) and it did it quite frequently (every few minutes). Now, watching a different show, it does not seem do do it at all. Just did it during a commercial. Odd.

scottz
New User

May 31, 2005, 12:24 AM

Post #7 of 10 (1358 views)
Shortcut

Something interesting to note. I can see the same commercial more than once and it appears to always flash the negative images at the same point. ???

kuhurdler
User

May 31, 2005, 8:08 PM

Post #8 of 10 (1350 views)
Shortcut

I'd suspect the AGC is set too high, especially since it happens often during commercials. I have no idea how to adjust it on that set without looking though.

-RiddledTV.com
http://www.riddledtv.com/forums/

mel
Veteran

May 31, 2005, 10:04 PM

Post #9 of 10 (1344 views)
Shortcut

Did you buy this set new or used? If new, take it back for warranty repairs or replacement. Otherwise. what are the specific conditions under which it goes negative, e.g. is the received signal a predominantly white screen? This is usually the sign of a bad voltage regulator which allows the CRT to be overdriven and/or there may be a problem with the brightness limiter circuit. In either case, continuing to operate the set under these conditions can cause serious damage to the CRT as well as creating a X-radiation hazard.

scottz
New User

May 31, 2005, 10:08 PM

Post #10 of 10 (1342 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mel] Negative Image Sony KV36HS510 **Now with Photo** [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, I bought it new. It was a display model, but still has full warratny. Yes, it is usually a white or light colored background. I'll contact Sony for repair.

Thanks

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.21 s on (CGI/1.1)