Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Odd trouble with an 11 year old Magnavox TV

wdcwdc
New User

Apr 15, 2018, 2:25 PM

Post #1 of 1 (1351 views)
Shortcut
Odd trouble with an 11 year old Magnavox TV Can't Post

Can anyone see what is going on with this TV set that is connected to Comcast HDMI cable service?

Once I get the set working, it continues to work fine: it displays picture, sounds audio, and fully responds to remote control commands.

The problem occurs at startup. With the power turned ON, the Comcast control box is ON and the TV ON/OFF light shows red. The TV light turns from red to green on a command from the TV remote controller. But no display appears and the remote controller exerts no further control, not able even to turn the set off.

Yet, I can get the set to work fine by following these steps:
1. Turning the power off for several seconds and then back on.
2. Using the remote controller to turn the TV light from red to green, where upon:
-- the screen shows the text "HDMI" on a blue screen; then
-- cycles through several Comcast screens that say "Welcome me to Comcast" and tell me that I am being "Connected to live TV"; where upon the requested channel is displayed; and
-- everything works fine.

The trouble is that that sequence is achieved only on repeated attempts (often six or seven). On the dud attempts the TV set only "approaches" success, stalling along the way and requiring me to retry the 1-2 sequence.

Comcast has tried a replacement control box and that has not fixed the problem.

Comcast tells me the problem is with my TV set but I do not believe that is the case.

Can anyone see what is going on? Thanks much. ...wdcwdc

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.19 s on (CGI/1.1)