Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Old Mitsubishi 26" no sound or picture

Nyneve
New User

Apr 9, 2005, 8:40 PM

Post #1 of 3 (984 views)
Shortcut
Old Mitsubishi 26" no sound or picture Can't Post

OK, my apologies, but I know NOTHING about TV repair. My ancient, 16yo 26" Mitsubishi (sorry, don't know the model number) was working fine one minute, and the next minute, both picture and sound, GONE. Now when I turn it on, I hear it click on, and I can hear what I assume is the power supply making a low hum, but there is no picture or audio. A couple of times when I turned it on, I heard a garbled audio signal for about one second, and then it went silent. But mostly it's just silent. It's so old -- has it just reached the end of its lifetime? If anyone knows what's wrong, is this something I could fix myself? (I've never fixed a TV, but I know my way around the inside of a computer.) Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

Thanks,

Laura Smile

minehunter
User

Apr 9, 2005, 11:01 PM

Post #2 of 3 (981 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Nyneve] Old Mitsubishi 26" no sound or picture [In reply to] Can't Post

16 years old? You've gotten your moneys worth out of it. Just toss it and get another one. A new 27 inch can be had for around 200 anymore so just let it go.

mel
Veteran

Apr 9, 2005, 11:16 PM

Post #3 of 3 (980 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Nyneve] Old Mitsubishi 26" no sound or picture [In reply to] Can't Post

Those old mitsus were pretty good workhorses and seemed to last forever. I would most suspect that the horizontal output transistor has failed and if that is the extent ot the problem, it is an easy fix. If you feel adventerous and have any technical skills, pick up a new HOT (it should cost under $10) and replace the old one. If that doesn't work, the cost of repairs by a professional would warrant investing a few more bucks for a new one. You might also want to check out www.FreeFlatScreens.com/?r=10948674 for an opportunity to earn a free replacement for this set with a little effort on your part.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.21 s on (CGI/1.1)