Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Panasonic CT-34WX50 flashing red light and other problems

mrethan520
New User

Oct 31, 2016, 12:22 AM

Post #1 of 5 (2729 views)
Shortcut
Panasonic CT-34WX50 flashing red light and other problems Can't Post

Hi, my TV seems to have died tonight. I was using my Xbox 360 (through component video) to try and watch Netflix when the Xbox was causing some odd interference on the screen. It seems to have caused this strange flickering picture ever since I got the Xbox and I didn't think much of it, but looking back, it may have been a bad reaction of the output from the Xbox. Anyway, this interference happened, but this time, something happened that didn't before, the TV shut off about 5 seconds into loading the Netflix app, and the red power light was flashing. I don't know if it was some sort of code or what because I shut the surge protector off a few seconds after it happened to prevent further damage.

It's a Panasonic CT-34WX50 HDTV from 2002. I just got it a few months ago after looking for a widescreen CRT, and had a great deal of fun trying to get the 200 pound beast into my basement, so it's going to be tough getting it back out if I need to get rid of it. I don't have the money for another TV, anyway.

Also, while we're here, I'll talk about some other issues it has. When you turn the power on, there's always 2 relay clicks, and usually they're in quick succession, but sometimes, it takes noticeably longer for both to go. It worries me a bit when it takes a while, because it always makes me think something will break on it right then. Why does the delay change? Does it indicate something?

For the past few days before this happened, I noticed there was a light blue spot slightly off-center from the middle of the screen. Tube failure, perhaps? Not sure if it just needs degaussing or what.

And, ever since I owned it, any vertical straight lines (particularly to the left of the screen) have been distorted inwards, does this indicate bad capacitors?

I was happy with the TV for its good picture and great speakers, but is this the end of its lifespan? Help.

The flashing red light occurred right after a storm in my area, if that helps. The power didn't go out in my house, though.

jts1957
Veteran

Oct 31, 2016, 2:07 AM

Post #2 of 5 (2723 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mrethan520] Panasonic CT-34WX50 flashing red light and other problems [In reply to] Can't Post

Power flashes 6x - RL803 bad joint.
(Set has three relays in AC Power Supply including degaussing - at least two others elsewhere in TV).
Distorted vert. lines most likely caps in pincushion or vert. deflection - possible (mis)adjustment.

-------------------------

mrethan520
New User

Oct 31, 2016, 3:25 AM

Post #3 of 5 (2720 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Panasonic CT-34WX50 flashing red light and other problems [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't count how many times the power light flashed, but your idea seems about right. I don't know too much about how CRT TVs (especially ones as large-scale as this one) work, but I'll see what I can do. What about the blue marks in the screen? Do you think the tube is going?

Also, should I not leave it on standby whenever I'm not using it? Should I use the hard power switch? I don't know how much of the circuitry stays active with it in standby and I don't want to wear anything out.

(This post was edited by mrethan520 on Oct 31, 2016, 3:30 AM)

jts1957
Veteran

Oct 31, 2016, 4:01 AM

Post #4 of 5 (2714 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mrethan520] Panasonic CT-34WX50 flashing red light and other problems [In reply to] Can't Post

When an abnormality has occurred for a power supply line, the protection circuit (power supply protector / detection of abnormal high voltage) operate and cuts the power supply. At this time, the defective line can be identified by the number of flashes (red) of the "Power supply/function standby/video reception" indication at the front of the unit by means of the fault line which has operated the protection circuit.

One to seven flashes.
1 = High voltage protect
2 = +25V, +144V overcurrent detection, vertical drive +15V voltage drop
3 = +5V voltage drop
4 = DD module main voltage drop
5 = DD module sub voltage rise
6 = Voltage drop (+3.3V / 9V / +12V)
7 = +25V, +144 V overcurrent detection

Picture or video showing blue marks?

Leave it plugged in all the time EXCEPT: when it is not to be used for a prolonged period, electrical STORMS are in the area (including Solar eruptions or flaresCool), electrical WORK is being done in the area or you are on vacation for longer than the weatherman can predict.

http://shop.panasonic.com/...-only/CT-34WX50.html

Probably close enough (these were released after your set, so take it as a guide - NOT a Bible):
http://schematicsforfree.com/...assis%20Training.pdf
http://elektrotanya.com/...pw.pdf/download.html

-------------------------

(This post was edited by jts1957 on Oct 31, 2016, 9:15 AM)

mrethan520
New User

Nov 3, 2016, 1:59 AM

Post #5 of 5 (2673 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Panasonic CT-34WX50 flashing red light and other problems [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you very much for your support. But, I found a Sony KV-34HS510 pretty cheap on Craigslist, and I think I'll treat myself to an upgrade. I wanted one of the Sony HDTVs from the start, but the Panasonic was in the right place at the right time. I could use some digital inputs instead of having to fiddle with HDMI to Component adapters. But I appreciate the tech knowledge.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.20 s on (CGI/1.1)