Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Panasonic CT27G11U off & on by itself

SteadyShot
New User

Feb 19, 2003, 7:42 PM

Post #1 of 7 (2924 views)
Shortcut
Panasonic CT27G11U off & on by itself Can't Post

Panasonic turns off and on by itself when watching. I have a Panasonic CT-27G11U built in 1998. When watching TV it will go black without sound like turning it off, after a few seconds to two minutes it will come back displaying the action menu. Also if I tap the plastic front near the pushbuttons it will come back immediately with the action menu. It makes no difference how long the TV's on anywhere from a couple minutes to several hours. I have taken the back off and inspected for bad connections or burnt spots and cleaned out a lot of dust with soft brush on vacuum. noticed the chassis board? was not aligned in grooves but all buttons were making contact with appropriate component on board. Any ideas?

BL_Thompson
TV Repair Authority

Feb 19, 2003, 9:55 PM

Post #2 of 7 (2921 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SteadyShot] Panasonic CT27G11U off & on by itself [In reply to] Can't Post

Try resoldering the power relay, whether the connections look bad or not.
-----------------------
Bryan Thompson
Spyder Byte Services
Albuquerque, NM

SteadyShot
New User

Mar 1, 2003, 11:38 AM

Post #3 of 7 (2889 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BL_Thompson] Panasonic CT27G11U off & on by itself [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the response and advice, I tried this repair then thought I'd wait a week befor responding to make sure it worked. It did work for 8 days then on the 9th day it started again. All I did was heat up the solder til it melted and added new solder. Today I am going to remove the old solder, clean up the terminals and resolder again. I will repost in about a week to let you know if it worked. Does this sound like a good plan? If the problem continues after this should I replace the relay?

Thanks againSteadyShot

Try resoldering the power relay, whether the connections look bad or not.

SteadyShot
New User

Mar 1, 2003, 4:50 PM

Post #4 of 7 (2886 views)
Shortcut

Well it didn't take a week this time! T.V. was on for 3 hours and then blinked off. a rap on the plastic front brought it back immediately with the action menu showing.

Should I replace the power relay?

It's got a really nice picture I'd hate to replace the T.V. but also hate to start replaceing parts without a good idea what's wrong! SteadyShot

BL_Thompson
TV Repair Authority

Mar 2, 2003, 11:05 AM

Post #5 of 7 (2881 views)
Shortcut

The most common problem in those sets is bad solder on the power relay, but it sounds like you've got bad solder joints elsewhere. I seriously doubt it's a bad relay. Inspect the board carefully... especially the horizontal drive transformer. I'm sure you will find a bad solder joint somewhere. Try tapping around with an insulated stick... you should be able to narrow it down that way.
-----------------------
Bryan Thompson
Spyder Byte Services
Albuquerque, NM

SteadyShot
New User

Mar 2, 2003, 12:53 PM

Post #6 of 7 (2880 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BL_Thompson] Panasonic CT27G11U off & on by itself [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks, I'll try that this afternoon! Solder is certainly cheaper than relays etc..

SteadyShot
New User

Mar 3, 2003, 9:22 PM

Post #7 of 7 (2871 views)
Shortcut

Well I'm not having much luck with it. It's turning itself off & on again. I've resoldered all the solder joints but it's still off and on now it seems to be acting up after it's been on for an hour or more. Is there anything else I should try?

SteadyShot

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.20 s on (CGI/1.1)