Philips 21pt6341- tunes only one channel

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

mloo55
New User

Jun 29, 2009, 1:41 AM

Post #1 of 33 (2748 views)
Shortcut
Philips 21pt6341- tunes only one channel Can't Post

This is an intermittent problem so what happens it works fine some time, tunes all channel normally however if I turn off the set and then I turn it on only one station is tuned in most channels. I took voltages in the tuner and they are according to the schematic, what could be the problem hope you can help
rgds
mloo55

Ron.M
Veteran

Jun 29, 2009, 3:31 AM

Post #2 of 33 (2743 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mloo55] Philips 21pt6341- tunes only one channel [In reply to] Can't Post

mloo55:....

Need a bit more info here...When you said:==>"" if I turn off the set and then I turn it on only one station is tuned in most channels"""
Don't understand:==>""only one station is tuned in most channels"""
Can you clarify that part a little better?? What do you get onscreen???

Thanks...

Later...Ron.M...Cool....
Veteran & Retired TV technician

rrobor
Veteran

Jun 29, 2009, 6:34 AM

Post #3 of 33 (2739 views)
Shortcut

I dont know the set but the chassis looks to be around the time of the A10 series. They had a small micro processor panel which was famed for getting corrupt, used to cost heaps to get it unscrambled and you had to send the panel to the distributer to have it done.

mloo55
New User

Jun 29, 2009, 4:58 PM

Post #4 of 33 (2732 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ron.M] Philips 21pt6341- tunes only one channel [In reply to] Can't Post

Ron
Sorry for not explain correctly but the fact is so: for example during the morning i am watching cable normally tunnnig any channel I would like to see then I have to get out so I turn off the tv. When I return after two hours and turn on the tv only one signal is tuned,channel 98 e.g , in all channels except channels 2-6,14-15 where there is no signal. I thought of the memory but when it tunes normal nothing happens. video is complety normal all is related to tuning. I resoldered all points of the tuner, measured voltages all within tolerances. Hope it clarify my question.
rgds
mloo55

mloo55
New User

Jun 29, 2009, 5:07 PM

Post #5 of 33 (2731 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rrobor] Philips 21pt6341- tunes only one channel [In reply to] Can't Post

Rrobor
The chassis for this model is L031.1LAA so if you have some info how to solve this problem I will thank so much.
rgd
mloo55

Ron.M
Veteran

Jun 29, 2009, 6:40 PM

Post #6 of 33 (2724 views)
Shortcut

mloo55:....

I dont know the set but the chassis looks to be around the time of the A10 series. They had a small micro processor panel which was famed for getting corrupt, used to cost heaps to get it unscrambled and you had to send the panel to the distributer to have it done.

HOGWASH!!!....NOT YOUR SET!!!
Not your set!!!!....I have the COMPLETE service manual....
There is NO such panel in your set...PERIOD!!!

PLEASE answer this:==>...""What do you get onscreen???""
Are you getting snow???...Lines or ???
PLEASE answer that question so I can proceed to help you out...
Also,I assume you are NOT using a cable box,correct???
If so,when you change chans , does the channel # onscreen change???
Please answer ALL questions in your next post...
THANK you VERY much....
Also it's a L03.1L-AA chassis & NOT "L031.1LAA "..Probably a typo on your part...Laugh....

Later....Ron.M....Cool....

(This post was edited by Ron.M on Jul 3, 2009, 1:26 AM)

rrobor
Veteran

Jun 30, 2009, 10:23 AM

Post #7 of 33 (2714 views)
Shortcut

Ron neither of us will ever find out because the chances of this being fixed is close to zero. As a Philips engineer for 24 or so years I know what issues they had and this sounds like the usual. So yes it may be hogwash to you if that pleases you. But whether the micro is on a panel or not they were famed for doing just the thing the guy complains of, so tell him after he spends his money and finds out. sure it could be anything but Id be willing to bet on it, would you.

mloo55
New User

Jun 30, 2009, 1:43 PM

Post #8 of 33 (2712 views)
Shortcut

Ron
The only connection is the cable in the rear of the set, what I get when the problem is one channel as explained before with all the video and sound normal in other words the program that is being transmited. ah when I change the channel # it change on the screen also. hope it will help.
rgds
mloo55

Ron.M
Veteran

Jun 30, 2009, 5:39 PM

Post #9 of 33 (2707 views)
Shortcut

mloo55;.....

Are you getting snow???...Lines or ???

This one's IMPORTANT...PLEASE answer..

Later....Ron.M....Cool.....

Ron.M
Veteran

Jun 30, 2009, 6:02 PM

Post #10 of 33 (2706 views)
Shortcut

rrobor:....

1st...THANKS for your POLITE reply....I WILL respond accordingly....

Ron neither of us will ever find out because the chances of this being fixed is close to zero.

Maybe so,but to me its worth a shot...

As a Philips engineer for 24 or so years I know what issues they had and this sounds like the usual.

I'm HONESTLY IMPRESSED...

But whether the micro is on a panel or not they were famed for doing just the thing the guy complains of, so tell him after he spends his money and finds out.

With ALL due respect,rrobor, with your background , you should have known that the micro is not on a "panel"....
I will call that an aged enhanced error & retract "Hogwash"...
Re-read that post...
I'm not sure he will spend any money IF it turns out to be the micro....I would NOT reccomend it....
I have the COMPLETE Philips service manual for his set...
What I'm trying to do is find out IF he has a tuner problem or not....
In my past experience , I've seen tuners lock up on a channel...
As soon as he answers my last posted question , I'm going to ask him to check something that WILL give us an answer...

sure it could be anything but Id be willing to bet on it, would you.

NOT yet...

mloo55
New User

Jun 30, 2009, 9:41 PM

Post #11 of 33 (2697 views)
Shortcut

Ron
Just i was checking the tv when I use with antenna the screen is filled with snow all channels and some of channels produce noise others no. When the cable is connected as explained before only one channel is seen in most of the channels except the ones I mentioned before too where snow is seen. It making me crazy due it is intermitent. Well if you need some more info let me know.
rgds
mloo55

mloo55
New User

Jun 30, 2009, 9:49 PM

Post #12 of 33 (2696 views)
Shortcut

Remembering when using antenna I noted also that only snow is present in many channels withouth noise and lines with snow when a noise is heard.
rgds
mloo55

Ron.M
Veteran

Jun 30, 2009, 10:50 PM

Post #13 of 33 (2690 views)
Shortcut

mloo55;.....

I'm going to have to send you a PM with attachments that I can't put here..In the PM there will also be info on a check I need you to do...
My local time here is 3:38 PM , June,30,09....Give me about 30 mins to put this together & PM you...

Later.....Ron.M....Cool.....

rrobor
Veteran

Jul 1, 2009, 6:34 AM

Post #14 of 33 (2683 views)
Shortcut

Ron if you had read my post rather than patching and pasting you would have noted I said I dont know your set. Now I referred to a model which did have a daughter panel but there were other models that did not. It also didnt come up in my records. My reasoning was that the model number suggested to me it was about that specific age and at that age micros in Philips was a common failure. The fault suggests processor issues so the best guess without a bank of tests is it is the micro. Now I do hope you are not going to turn into one of those who imply other people are idiots. From time to time we all make mistakes, and from time to time we get people trying to belittle others in here, please, life is too short for that. Rob

FUXER
User

Jul 1, 2009, 7:47 AM

Post #15 of 33 (2677 views)
Shortcut

De problem we have is lack of communication- compared with 1st hand testing personally each!-so rhetoric rolls on & on & could mean anything-different to each observer-according to individual understanding of prob as mentioned implied or not!. mloo 55- could you personally take your set to an experienced repairer- in 1/2 hour you would have definitive answer!!!. My feeling is you have bad reception & you are not tuning & memorising correctly.Angelic

Ron.M
Veteran

Jul 1, 2009, 5:26 PM

Post #16 of 33 (2669 views)
Shortcut
Re: [FUXER] Philips 21pt6341- tunes only one channel [In reply to] Can't Post

FUXER;...

De problem we have is lack of communication- compared with 1st hand testing personally each!

VERY TRUE!!!

mloo 55- could you personally take your set to an experienced repairer- in 1/2 hour you would have definitive answer!!!.

IF he would have done that in the 1st place , he would NOT be here...
The reason he's here is probably because , like a LOT of us, he's trying to save some money &/or wants to fix it himself for some personal satisfaction...
And IF it's the micro , he's wasted some time & money at a TV shop & chances are high that the set won't be fixed ...
We "should" be able to determine that here....

My feeling is you have bad reception & you are not tuning & memorising correctly.Angelic

He does NOT have a reception problem....
He "MAY" have a "tuning" problem...& it "may" be fixable....
Depends on what my test results show...
I'm waiting for the 1st test answers....
I "may" need one more check to nail this down....

BTW:...PLEASE don't take the following the wrong way....
I KNOW you are NOT stupid...But I feel it needs to be said...
Some problems with TV's have obvious solutions...
You can "go for the jugular" & solve it...
Others have a varity of answers...
This one ,I think , does...Time will tell....

Ron.M
Veteran

Jul 1, 2009, 6:04 PM

Post #17 of 33 (2667 views)
Shortcut

rrobor;.....

1st:...Thanks for a civil reply....

Now I do hope you are not going to turn into one of those who imply other people are idiots. From time to time we all make mistakes, and from time to time we get people trying to belittle others in here, please, life is too short for that. Rob

Let's get something PERFECTLY CLEAR here....
You think one way & I think another...
That's FINE & NOT a problem with me...
I do NOT consider "ALL" other people idiots...
Just some that rightfully deserve it..
I'm sure you have met some also...
I do NOT consider YOU an idiot...PERIOD!!!
Some others on this forum, ABSOLUTELY , YES!!!!

For example:1st time posters:...."I have a TV that's broke...
What's wrong with it??" THAT IS AN IDIOT!!!...
But they have a right to say & do it....

You've made mistakes & I have made mistakes...
I NEVER , EVER claimed to be perfect...PERIOD!!!

When I make a mistake & someone corrects me CIVILLY , without ANY malice,
I take it like a man & stand corrected as you have done here...

BUT IF you attack ME OR MY COUNTRY personally, GET ready ,
because you'll get it back in spades...

IF you are willing to "bury the hatchet" , that's fine with me & we can move on
& contribute to this forum intelligently...Your Call....

rrobor
Veteran

Jul 2, 2009, 6:05 AM

Post #18 of 33 (2658 views)
Shortcut

Oh dear here we go again. I believed we had an agreement seems not. Now the guy states clearly 1/ the fault is intermittant. 2 its when he turns the TV off then back on. 3/ he has a multimeter 4/ he has a diagram 5/ he knows how and has taken tuner voltages. Given that sorry its not a mamoth leap to suggest he is capable of diagnosing a reception fault. So you reply by again patching and pasting. We all read everything the first time, we dont need it ad infinitum. You also insist on what the chat line call SHOUTING. Then for reasons best known to yourself you suggest I was wrong but took being told by you like a man. Well my replies here are my opinion as are yours. But truth be told I believe my reply is correct and you are wrong, but thats my opinion. What we see is a 21 inch TV whose value is such that its not worth a shop repair. As such we all give our opinion and the guy has the lovely choice of selecting or ignoring as he sees fit, isnt life wonderful. Rob

FUXER
User

Jul 2, 2009, 7:25 AM

Post #19 of 33 (2654 views)
Shortcut

Ron M you are a champion-no doubt about it!. You are saying if micro faulty set not worth repair- well I think differently!. I have seen many(most?) techs who say "BER- beyond economic repair"- all this means is they are putting their time into $ only- can NEVER fix difficult faults this way!-after all, it is the engineers,designers,manufacturers who have created a technological masterpiece- all ANY. repair tech is is a relatively speaking dumb bunny!- who uses basic skills to find & replace faulty part/s!- proof?- try designing & making your own tv!. Cheers.

rrobor
Veteran

Jul 2, 2009, 7:51 AM

Post #20 of 33 (2653 views)
Shortcut

MM think thats a bit tough. If you run a repair shop, you got rent and rates to pay, Telephone, Fax etc etc. If you get a TV in with a difficult fault or a costly in parts fault and the TV has a low value, you just cant fix it. We all have fixed TVs where we quoted, got the go ahead and the customer in the end saw a new one at that price and they never come back. Manufacturers have a nasty habit of obsoleting parts so the customer pays for a complex repair, something else goes wrong and you cant fix it. Another customer lost. I had one where the TV was dropped and the tube was faulty, I got a price $999 for the tube or $650 for the upgraded replacement TV. So no regardless of your skills in electronics a business must be run by economics. The rest of the post, I believe you are trying to stir so best ignored

FUXER
User

Jul 2, 2009, 8:17 AM

Post #21 of 33 (2652 views)
Shortcut

Points taken- ain't trying to stir- all I am really saying is i have seen SO many tv,s etc, that techs in a repair shop whether independent or warranty agents have NOT been able to fix tv etc DESPITE BEST efforts & LOTS of hours spent- yet I get it & fix the bassid-sure sometimes takes a few hours- my feeling is the afore mentioned techs were only thinking of the $ & not seeing the real problem- though you are right about the fickleness of customers- I only do it for the challenge- not the cuss!.Frown

mloo55
New User

Jul 2, 2009, 5:57 PM

Post #22 of 33 (2641 views)
Shortcut

HeyBuddies
All of you are rigth and I appreciatte your opinion however I made only a question to know if each of you with their expertise could guide to solve the problem with the ideas I let you know really hard problems with time consumption that The best is to buy another set, e.g. It is not my case cos I only need one guide and it became in a discussion and was out what I want. I think of this forum is to change technical ideas and it was my need meanwhile I found the problem : the cristal close to the processor, I took 4 hours addressing to the equipment because more time is not good. What it is important the problem was fixed but really it was crazy unless for me. Now the client get his set with no problem. Thanks to all of you
mloo55Wink

Ron.M
Veteran

Jul 2, 2009, 6:02 PM

Post #23 of 33 (2641 views)
Shortcut

Oohh, boy!!.... Where do I start...I've got 4 posts to reply to....

Lets start with my favorite pest:...

rrobor:...
I throw you an olive branch & here's your reply:....

I believed we had an agreement seems not."

You replied to me,I did NOT reply to you...

You also insist on what the chat line call SHOUTING.

I am emphasising certain words to make a point....You don't like it ,tough cookies...

Then for reasons best known to yourself you suggest I was wrong but took being told by you like a man.

I did NOT say you were WRONG....READ it!!!!...I just think you MAY have jumped the gun....You ARE twisting my words....I implied YOU corrected ME....

What we see is a 21 inch TV whose value is such that its not worth a shop repair.

We don't know that yet!!!...How about we diagnos it FIRST to see what's wrong & go from there???

rrobror; ....ONE LAST chance for the olive branch....You accept or not???

FUXER:...

You are saying if micro faulty set not worth repair- well I think differently!.

Heres my reasons for that...
1st: Its an older set.....
2nd:It's NOT something I would reccommend an inexperienced person to mess with...I do NOT know ml005's expertise...
3rd:IF he takes it into a TV shop , the repair could be costly...
4th:We do NOT know if the micro is available as of now....
5th:With a LOT of micros , there ARE factory adjustments that have to be made after replacement....I'm NOT saying that's the case here...A possibility,yes....

yet I get it & fix the bassid-sure sometimes takes a few hours-

You & I could fix this set...BUT , is the customer willing to pay a fair price for it???...IF it's our set , great, we fix it & maybe sell it for some extra cash or keep it for our own use...We set 1 price for our personal time & another for a customer....No problem with that...OR is there???

Later.....Ron.M...Cool.....

Ron.M
Veteran

Jul 2, 2009, 6:09 PM

Post #24 of 33 (2640 views)
Shortcut

mloo55:...

I'm truly glad you fixed the set....Good Luck & best regards....

Later....Ron.M...Cool.....

Ron.M
Veteran

Jul 2, 2009, 6:39 PM

Post #25 of 33 (2638 views)
Shortcut

To all:....

While I was typeing that lengthy post to rrobor & FUXER, ml005 replied....

PLEASE notice that the micro itself was NOT at fault....
This is why you HAVE to have a logical method of troubleshooting a problem such as this....And NOT jump the gun!!!

rrobor:..
While the micro itself was NOT bad, it appears to have been a bad connection on the 12mz CPU xtal....While you were WRONG about the micro itself,you were in the RIGHT area...I would have gotten there eventually,but I believe in logical methods of troubleshooting BEFORE making such a serious decision....

The GOOD news about all of this , is that the set is fixed & his customer should be happy....
Also he IS a TV repairman...Something I did not know....

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.24 s on (CGI/1.1)