Feb 17, 2011, 7:03 PM

Post #51 of 52 (914 views)
Shortcut
Re: [potcode] Philips 27PS55S/321 Startup Problem [In reply to] Can't Post

potcode;.....

This problem was settled 5 days ago...

i dont find ian33 approach was out of place,

Too bad , I did....Here's why....
The problem did NOT appear to be power supply or flyback connections...
Possibly (MOST likely) the "Horiz DRIVER" transformer connections were the culprit....
If you'd care to notice , jts1957 expertly went fairly quickly from the power supply to the HOT !!!.....
BOTH the flyback & the power supply advice turned out to be erroneous....

IF you are going to defend bad advice by coming here & starting another problem , then you WILL have me to deal with also....
IF you give advice on the same level as ian33 , then you are no better than he & could wind up with the same result...
Your call....Unsure.....

Cold solder joints cause alot of problems.

I've been doing this 50+ years , thanks for bringing me up to date ....Unsure...

The power problem was the HOT but the problems started with cold solder joints
which is most likely what cause the HOT to fail in that case

I agree with ALL of that EXCEPT that flyback connections was NOT the cause....

That post was like a war for what??

I have tried to help ian33 in a polite way in the past & was greeted with arrogance etc....
This time I thought it necessary to advise helixal of ian33's lack of talent...
Then ian33 came back with a smart @$$ post that was totally uncalled for...
Then further on , he started to cuss...
One post so bad it was removed...
I did NOT start this "war"...
I ended it....
I'm not looking for a problem with you OR anyone else here OR anywhere else....

BUT , IF I see bad , erroneous advice , it behooves me to comment on it...
IF you OR anyone else doesn't like it . tough....Unsure...

Later...Ron.M....Cool....
Veteran & Retired TV technician

helixal
New User

Nov 23, 2011, 12:27 AM

Post #52 of 52 (859 views)
Shortcut
Re: [helixal] Philips 27PS55S/321 Startup Problem [In reply to] Can't Post

This problem was solved nine months ago. The set worked fine for a while and then the problems slowly recurred until yesterday when the set died. The problem as originally described nine months ago is as follows:

"This problem started about 5 months ago and progressively got worse. The problem has to do turning the TV on. Once on the picture is bright and sharp. When the problem first began, the picture didn't fill the screen horizontally and it would jump sideways and was fuzzy. After several seconds the picture filled the screen horizontally and stabilized. This problem gradually got worse, taking longer to fill the screen horizontally. Most recently I have had to turn the TV on and off several times to get the picture to stabilize. Once the picture was up and running there was not further problem. At last the TV just would not turn on. The red pilot light on the front would not illuminate. "

In the nine months since the problem was first solved I learned that just switching inputs to the TV rather than turning the set on and off would get the set to start up. Also as the problem progressed, even after fully warming up, the picture would accordion sideways and there would be a flash of a bright vertical line down the middle whenever there was a scene change. Also there was frequently a displacement sideways as though an arrow was pushing into the picture from the right side. As the set was warming up, the vertical line seemed to come from the right half and left half of the picture overlapping. Now, even though the set is dead, the pilot does illuminate.

Thinking that the problem was much the same as before I simply replaced the horizontal output transistor with a new one. This didn't do anything. I measured the transistor that that I took out of the set and its measurements were good (the same as when I put it in.)

Any suggestions for getting this set to work?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.24 s on (CGI/1.1)