Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Philips 42PFL5432D/37 - TV Shuts Off

Kim
New User

Apr 9, 2012, 6:59 PM

Post #1 of 14 (22180 views)
Shortcut
Philips 42PFL5432D/37 - TV Shuts Off Can't Post

This is my first post here on TV Forums (or any forum for that matter). After reading MANY threads here and on the web, I've come to the conclusion that I probably will not be able to fix my TV, but would like to give it one last shot with a new post by me and hopefully someone can help me save this TV.

Philips 42PFL5432D/37

PROBLEM: TV worked fine for several years. Out of the blue, it just shut off. As soon as you turn it on and hit menu, it shuts off.
I stripped it down (got rid of cable TV) and started from scratch with it only plugged into the electrical outlet. It seems to stay on for about 20-30 minutes and then shuts off. This is without hitting any buttons. It's just a blank/black screen and in a white box on the top right it says "Channel Not Available".... because there is no cable TV or anything plugged into it. I'm just running a test to see if it will stay on. This may be a built in feature where it shuts off after so many minutes of non-use (like a computer going to sleep).

It seems like the menu button is the culprit. I can press a couple of the other buttons on top of the remote and it doesn't shut off.

Many people are saying the shut-off problem has to do with overheating and the Capacitor. Since they say the part is cheap, I thought I would be able to replace it myself, but I guess it needs to be soldered.

I guess you know if the Capacitor is blown if the top is rounded. If it's still flat, then it's ok.

I don't know exactly where the Capacitor is. I did download the service manual (which is out of my league), but I thought if they showed where it was, then I can at least see if it is blown or not.

I guess this TV is too old for the firmware updates. Don't see a USB port in TV.

Someone suggested a trick for a different model to reset the TV - Hold down volume +/- on TV (not remote), lock volume, then hit Home button to reset TV. There is only 1 button for volume +/-, so I can't hold both buttons at once. Plus there is no Home button on remote, only Menu.

WHERE IS THE CAPACITOR?

ANY OTHER IDEAS OR SUGGESTIONS ON HOW TO FIX?

Thank you,
Kim

mel
Veteran

Apr 9, 2012, 9:48 PM

Post #2 of 14 (22172 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Kim] Philips 42PFL5432D/37 - TV Shuts Off [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't want to sound harsh, but you are obviously way out of your league on the whole subject. I am assuming that the set does not "shut Off" but you loose video (still have sound?). There is not "the capacitor" but hundreds of caps in a set and a bad cap does not always show visible signs of failure. Given the complexity of your symptoms and your lack of knowledge, I would recommend seeking professional help from a local repair shop.

Kim
New User

Apr 9, 2012, 11:22 PM

Post #3 of 14 (22169 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mel] Philips 42PFL5432D/37 - TV Shuts Off [In reply to] Can't Post

I was hoping for a easy and cheap DIY fix.

Many people have complained that these TV's not only shut off, but turn on by itself (which is not the case).
It just shuts off. I thought that maybe it had something to do with the signal, from cable or something, which is why I removed all connections just to see if the TV will run. It doesn't seem to like the Menu button. I can play around for a minute with the settings on the TV, but hit the wrong button and it shuts off. No sound issue, just shuts off (goes from green light to red light with a little popping noise as it turns off).

Didn't realize there were so many caps (which means they are very small) and if they have to be soldered, then yes, I'm way out of my league!!!

I had to give it a shot on this forum.
Thank you!!
Kim

mickyp
New User

Apr 10, 2012, 12:39 AM

Post #4 of 14 (22165 views)
Shortcut

Agreed, if your not even sure what a capacitor is then stay well clear as your liable to give yourself a nasty shock.
This is one for the professionals i'm affraid. Ask yourself the question, is a quick (cheap) fix worth a potential life threatening electric shock?
Hope you make the correct choice, capacitor still hold a deadly charge even after the tv is unplugged.
Shocked

Kim
New User

Apr 20, 2012, 10:22 PM

Post #5 of 14 (22128 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mickyp] Philips 42PFL5432D/37 - TV Shuts Off [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you. No, I don't want to get shocked!
I was still hoping someone would say, press these buttons to restart your system and it would be fixed.

Oh well!
Thank you everyone.
Kim

Smile

Arsenal1487
New User

Apr 22, 2012, 9:57 AM

Post #6 of 14 (22112 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mickyp] Philips 42PFL5432D/37 - TV Shuts Off [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry to reply on your thread kim, I just cannot seem to start my own thread I don't know if that's because I'm new Blush.

Could anyone help with an issue I have or point me in the right direction please?

My finlux flat screen tv, when a hdmi cable snapped inside it (which I later removed) will not power on apart from the light (power indicator), which flashes blue then white and makes a sound every
time it flashes this is all it does, I've changed the fuse no joy sounds a serious issue any advice would be greatful.

My feeling was it was a mode in which the tv protects itself from further harm, as I say the metal part of the HDMI was lodged in the port and snappedoff in there, I did gently remove it but this flashing of the on off light started before I removed the remnant of the HDMI cable. Its a blue flash and at the end a white flash with a sound at each blink which sounds like a mic being switched off and on.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated thank you.

okelectronicsva
New User

Apr 22, 2012, 4:02 PM

Post #7 of 14 (22108 views)
Shortcut

Hi Kim,
Hope I can help. Just want to ask some questions, what can you see from the tv? is the screen black with blinking red light? if it is, then you most likely have capacitor problems. But if not, you can reply back so I can help you. Smile
http://www.richmondtvrepairs.com/

okelectronicsva
New User

Apr 22, 2012, 4:20 PM

Post #8 of 14 (22107 views)
Shortcut

There are basically three problems that would cause this, the Power Supply, the T-Con board, or the LCD panel itself has failed. Voltages need to be measured at the power supply outputs, using a DMM with nothing connected to it but AC Input. If the readings are proper, then the other boards need to be connected one at a time, until one causes the voltage to shut down at the output. Price to replace the power supply is around $300 parts and labor. If the supply outputs power with all of the boards connected, then the T-Con needs to be tested. The T-Con will run you around $200 to have replaced. If the T-Con tests good, then the LCD Panel has failed and will cost you more than a new TV (around $900) to have replaced and it is not cost effective to repair this set. I wish i had better news on this set, but the fact that the MENU does not come up clearly, indicates a failure in one of the components responsible for powering, and processing the LCD panel itself (including the LCD panel).
http://www.richmondtvrepairs.com/

Ron.M
Veteran

Apr 22, 2012, 6:57 PM

Post #9 of 14 (22102 views)
Shortcut
Re: [okelectronicsva] Philips 42PFL5432D/37 - TV Shuts Off [In reply to] Can't Post

okelectronicsva;....

I've already commented on your GOOD help in another thread...
However , methinks you need some better glasses here....

Kim said in post #3;=>...

Didn't realize there were so many caps (which means they are very small) and if they have to be soldered, then yes, I'm way out of my league!!!
I had to give it a shot on this forum.

& in post #5 she said;=>...

Thank you. No, I don't want to get shocked!
I was still hoping someone would say, press these buttons to restart your system and it would be fixed.

Oh well!
Thank you everyone.

So as any casual observer would see , Kim is NOT in the least technically OR mechanically inclined...
So any tech advice for her will fall on deaf ears....
GOOD answer for the other experienced techs here , tho....Sly...
Nice try.....

I'm presuming the answer you posted in post #8 is for "Arsenal1487"...
I don't want to insult your intelligence by thinking it was for Kim also....Wink...

Later...Ron.M....Cool....
Veteran & Retired TV technician

(This post was edited by Ron.M on Apr 22, 2012, 7:00 PM)

Ron.M
Veteran

Apr 22, 2012, 7:21 PM

Post #10 of 14 (22098 views)
Shortcut
Post deleted by Ron.M [In reply to]

the360doctor
New User

Apr 22, 2012, 10:05 PM

Post #11 of 14 (22079 views)
Shortcut

in the couple i have had that were the same sounding issue it has always been the larger CapXon brand capacitors <approx 1/2" X 1"> ..usually the single 16v 2200uf capacitor at the upper right hand corner of the psu bulging just slightly ...not much visible leakage ....can you take a picture of the power supply and post it or send it to me? it is the board just left of center when you take the back off <pretty much the only easily accessed one > Smile

Ron.M
Veteran

Apr 22, 2012, 10:54 PM

Post #12 of 14 (22074 views)
Shortcut
Re: [the360doctor] Philips 42PFL5432D/37 - TV Shuts Off [In reply to] Can't Post

the360doctor;.......

WHAT part of ;=>....

I was hoping for a easy and cheap DIY fix.

&

&

Oh well!
Thank you everyone.

Do you NOT understand ????
Any idiot that has an IQ of a grape can see that Kim is NOT the slightest bit electronically/mechanically knowledgeable !!!!
This thread is essentially finished & yet you keep posting advice !!!!

& PLEASE don't give me the lame excuse that you are posting your advice (?) so others may see it & benefit from it...

WAKE UP & get a life !!!!

Later...Ron.M....Cool...

the360doctor
New User

Apr 23, 2012, 4:44 PM

Post #13 of 14 (22057 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ron.M] Philips 42PFL5432D/37 - TV Shuts Off [In reply to] Can't Post

wow ....i would expect more from a supposed "help forum" Mad excuse me for trying to save someone a few hundred dollars and walk them through a simple process ...if SHE does not feel comfortable un-soldering and soldering then it will at least save a hundred by taking in JUST the power supply to an electronics repair store and telling them you want THOSE specific <CapXon> capacitors replaced you WILL save WAAAAY more than having THEM do the troubleshooting on top of the "repair" ...for a supposed "retired t.v. repair tech" Pirate you sure do more flaming and troll-ish behavior than i would expect from someone who SHOULD be mature enough to at least NOT resort to high school name calling b.s. i believe kim IS smart enough to repair it herself Cool unlike your defeatist assumption that everyone but you is too DUMB Crazy to do any repair themself ....stay RETIRED and quit acting like you are a repair god or go back to school to learn about NEW technology not old ass C.R.T. shit Shocked .....Sorry kim i hope you get better help from SOMEWHERE cause it looks like here they just want to flame people for even TRYING and make it sound impossible to fix Frown ....Later "Ron M." <Ronald McDonald??> Laugh i "GOT" a life you wont see me on "your" lame ass repair site anymore Tongue

Ron.M
Veteran

Apr 23, 2012, 5:48 PM

Post #14 of 14 (22053 views)
Shortcut
Re: [the360doctor] Philips 42PFL5432D/37 - TV Shuts Off [In reply to] Can't Post

the360doctor;.....

Nothing I love better than to educate a dumb @$$ young whippersnapper who does NOT fully understand the Kings ENGLISH.....
And then you come along like a knight in shining armor & want to be her hero !!!!

Sir;...
Your advice would help someone who HAS SOME experience in TV repair...
Kim is naive to electronics & as she HERSELF put it """yes, I'm way out of my league!!!"""
Now THAT"S self explanitory....
IF you can NOT get the message that she has LITTLE technical ability , IF ANY , & shows some apprehension in going forward with ANY repairs , then YOU have the IQ of a ROCK !!!
Do NOT come here & jump my @$$ because YOU do NOT understand ENGLISH !!!...
You were called on the carpet because you have a lack of comprehension of WHAT Kim said...
As far as "flaming" you , you deserved EVERY word you got...

for a supposed "retired t.v. repair tech" Pirate you sure do more flaming and troll-ish behavior than i would expect from someone who SHOULD be mature enough to at least NOT resort to high school name calling b.s

WHERE in that post did I call you ANY names ???...
IF you want me to call you names , I'll be GLAD to oblige you with a few choice names...
You NEED to read more of MY past posts where people THANK me for my help....

i believe kim IS smart enough to repair it herself Cool

Another cockeyed optimist !!!
Kim , I believe is smart enough to realize when she is in over her head & HAS the courage to admit it...

stay RETIRED and quit acting like you are a repair god or go back to school to learn about NEW technology not old ass C.R.T. shit Shocked

I do NOT take orders from you or ANYONE else....
I will NOT go to school & learn how to fix the NEW S#!T that will NOT last as long the CRT sets STILL DO !!!!...
There are CRT sets STILL working when the new junk is being hauled off to a landfill...
So much for CRT "S#!T" !!!!...

Sorry kim i hope you get better help from SOMEWHERE cause it looks like here they just want to flame people for even TRYING and make it sound impossible to fix

She got the help she was looking for HERE !!!!
SHE was NOT "flamed" , idiot , YOU WERE !!!!
SHE said "THANKS"...
YOU wanted to ram advice where it isn't wanted or isn't needed anymore...

i "GOT" a life you wont see me on "your" lame ass repair site anymore Tongue

Don't let the door hit you on your ass on the way out...
Try not to spin in 360 degree circles...
With an atttitude like yours , we can get along without you very nicely...

Have a crappy day & week....Mad....

BYE-BYE......Ron.M....Cool...

(This post was edited by Ron.M on Apr 23, 2012, 5:56 PM)

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.22 s on (CGI/1.1)