Free Games TV Forums

Main Index FORUM
HOME
Search Posts SEARCH
IN
Rules & FAQ RULES
F.A.Q.

Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Philips Rear Projection TV Color Issue - Please help!

256jessica
New User

Feb 23, 2011, 4:23 PM

Post #1 of 16 (18492 views)
Shortcut
Philips Rear Projection TV Color Issue - Please help! Can't Post

I have a Philips Rear Projection HDTV. The model # is 55PP9363H/17. The date on the back is April 2004. I am surprised the TV has lasted this long but it has done great until this morning. When we turned on the TV (bear in mind, I don't know TV lingo), it has distortion at the bottom on the screen. It is shaped like a rainbow at the very bottom. The color changes (it's mostly red) when the picture on tv changes. Above the weird color, it is distorted...like it should say "Nick Jr." at the bottom, but it is distorted into the the shape on that rainbow color. LOL! Hope you get the point...I know it should be something you guys/girls would know about. I just hate to take it to some TV repair shop when it is HUGE and we would go through all of that trouble. Please help!! Thank you!

(This post was edited by 256jessica on Feb 23, 2011, 7:43 PM)

Ron.M
Veteran

Feb 23, 2011, 7:35 PM

Post #2 of 16 (18477 views)
Shortcut
Re: [256jessica] Philips Rear Projection TV Color Issue - Please help! [In reply to] Can't Post

256jessica;.....

1st suggestion I have is to remove your name from your post for safety reasons....
Perverts "Google"....Shocked...
I'm fairly certain I know what your problem is...
Can you take & post pix ????
Does the pix look like a 3-D pix without the glasses ???

LAter...Ron.M....Cool....
Veteran & Retired TV technician

256jessica
New User

Feb 23, 2011, 7:49 PM

Post #3 of 16 (18472 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ron.M] Philips Rear Projection TV Color Issue - Please help! [In reply to] Can't Post

ok thanks. name removed. so can I post pictures here? I can certainly take one if that would help!

256jessica
New User

Feb 23, 2011, 8:34 PM

Post #4 of 16 (18468 views)
Shortcut
Re: [256jessica] Philips Rear Projection TV Color Issue - Please help! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, I guess you could say it looks 3D...this is a fuzzy picture. I will post one more of the static screen because you can really see the distortion at the bottom of the screen...

256jessica
New User

Feb 23, 2011, 8:37 PM

Post #5 of 16 (18466 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ron.M] Philips Rear Projection TV Color Issue - Please help! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hope this helps!

Ron.M
Veteran

Feb 23, 2011, 11:08 PM

Post #6 of 16 (18458 views)
Shortcut

256jessica;.....

SORRY about the delay in replying...Unsure...

Looks like you may have a "convergence problem....
Can't be 100% sure with those pix....
The 1st pix is waaaay toooo bright....
The 2nd one has no video.....

Try to take a pix with on-air video at normal viewing brightness levels....
Check to see how it will look in the thread by using the "Preview Post" button bottom left where you are making your post....
The clearer the pix is , the better I can help you....
Are you intending to fix this yourself or just wanting an opinion as to what's wrong with the set...
BTW , I have the service manual for that TV....Smile....

Later...Ron.M....Cool....

256jessica
New User

Feb 23, 2011, 11:21 PM

Post #7 of 16 (18455 views)
Shortcut

Ok I will try to take some more pictures, but I did google it some more and think it is the convergence issue. I have it on the "Multidot Red" menu under picture and the arrows are WAYYYYYY off on the bottom and I cannot seem to line them all up correctly. I would like to be able to fix this myself. I also have the manual somewhere in my filing cabinet. Thanks for your help so far.

Ron.M
Veteran

Feb 23, 2011, 11:40 PM

Post #8 of 16 (18451 views)
Shortcut

256jessica;....

You may have 2 problems....Unsure....
That is why I need to see some good clear pix....
The red rainbow looks like a coolant problem....
Go here , poke around & see if any of the examples look like your problem....
For the convergence issue....

http://calgary.convergencerepair.com/gallery.asp

I have it on the "Multidot Red" menu under picture and the arrows are WAYYYYYY off on the bottom and I cannot seem to line them all up correctly.

You are refering to convergence adjustments in the customer menu ,
right ???

I would like to be able to fix this myself.

How much electronic/TV repair background experience do you have ????

(This post was edited by Ron.M on Feb 23, 2011, 11:47 PM)

256jessica
New User

Feb 24, 2011, 2:01 AM

Post #9 of 16 (18445 views)
Shortcut

I have no former TV experience whatsoever! I wish I did though. I just wanted to be able to DIY. I don't know if I can or not. I will send one more picture. I assure you that I have never tried to take a picture of TV screen and it is fuzzy. I am normally pretty good with my camera. Since I tried to do the convergence, it looks much worse. As far as the menu question you asked, yes I was in the menu of the TV trying to do the "multidot red" convergence and it just wouldn't work on the bottom ones.

Ron.M
Veteran

Feb 24, 2011, 3:48 AM

Post #10 of 16 (18441 views)
Shortcut

256jessica;....

Good news & bad news....
MUCH better pix...THANKS....Smile...

Good news is that you definitely have bad convergence ICs....Sly...
Not a big deal for an experienced TV tech....
Bad news is that I don't think you can do it yourself....Unsure...
TV repair experience is a must in this case...
Reason is that the ICs are 18 pin ICs & you HAVE to change 2 of them....
There's heat sink compound , soldering , de-soldering & further adjustments involved.....
There are some resistors that you need to check & possibly a fuse or two , altho I think the fuses are good at this time...
Parts should run you about $30~$35 for both from a GOOD source...
IF you decide to have a TV shop do it , 3 things I need to advise you of...
1)... Depending on where you live the job should be NO more than $250~$300...
2)... Make SURE that the TV tech uses NOTHING BUT Genuine SANYO replacement ICs....
Generic ICs are available cheaper , BUT , you positively WILL have problems with them....
3).. Do NOT allow the tech to put in upgraded so-called stronger ICs...
Put in ONLY EXACTLY what comes out....PERIOD !!!!...

Is the pix clear where the convergence is aligned OK ???

Later...Ron.M.....Cool....

(This post was edited by Ron.M on Feb 24, 2011, 3:59 AM)

256jessica
New User

Feb 24, 2011, 4:34 AM

Post #11 of 16 (18433 views)
Shortcut

Thank you so much for your help! I will definitely not be attempting to fix it since it will be so complex. I called my brother-in-law and he referred me to a couple different TV shops, so I will call them tomorrow and see what they have to say about it. I will be sure to use all of your tips though, and maybe they won't rip me off since I will sound like I know what I am talking about with all of this information! What exactly is ICs? I am glad to know what it is now. And yes, the picture is totally clear where the convergence is aligned properly.

Ron.M
Veteran

Feb 24, 2011, 6:33 PM

Post #12 of 16 (18423 views)
Shortcut

256jessica;.....

IC stands for Integrated Circuit...
Your IC number is STK392-120...
Do NOT let ANYONE put in STK392-150 ICs or any other "upgrades" as they WILL give you problems...
Use ONLY the STK392-120 ICs...

You can see the parts you need & how much they cost here;=>....
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/STK392-120
They measure about 4" across...
Approximately what part of our planet do you live in ????

Thank you so much for your help!

You're MOST Welcome....

And yes, the picture is totally clear where the convergence is aligned properly.

GOOD , that means your CRTs (Picture tubes) coolant is OK & does NOT need changeing....

Have a GREAT day & weekend....

Later..Ron.M...Cool...

(This post was edited by Ron.M on Feb 24, 2011, 6:36 PM)

256jessica
New User

Feb 24, 2011, 6:53 PM

Post #13 of 16 (18418 views)
Shortcut

Ok so today the picture is just a tiny bit fuzzy but absolutely no problems like yesterday. Is this weird to say? I am guessing the ICs are still bad but they can go in and out? There is no rainbow of the picture. When you are watching the regular show, it just looks a tiny bit fuzzy but when you go to the Direct TV guide, you can tell it is definitely the convergence thing. Still no rainbowing effect at the bottom, but the words are off just a bit.

Ron.M
Veteran

Feb 24, 2011, 7:04 PM

Post #14 of 16 (18417 views)
Shortcut

256jessica;....

I am guessing the ICs are still bad but they can go in and out?

Short answer , yes....But,

There's the possibility that you may have bad connections at one or both of those ICs....
You will need to remove the main big board (Chassis) & flip it over to re-solder the connections...
Are you up for that kind of work....
The chassis is located on the bottom of the set so you will be on your knees working on it....
How much soldering experience do you have ???

Have you tried to adjust the red convergence now that it appears to be back working ???
If so , please post results....THANKS....Sly...

I suggest you play the set for awhile & see how it holds up....

Gus67
User

Mar 1, 2011, 2:21 AM

Post #15 of 16 (18393 views)
Shortcut

Did they check to see if there was a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow inside the TV?

You know,gold is the best conductor of Electrons...

could be that they are shorting out the convergence IC's

only kidding.Those IC"s are probably shot like the cranky old man is saying.

BTW,
STK 392 120 and the 150 are somewhat interchangeable...HOWEVER..the 150 is rated for less current.On the datasheet it's the same circuit so technically they could work, but probably not for long

richpart
User

Mar 8, 2011, 12:36 AM

Post #16 of 16 (18360 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Gus67] Philips Rear Projection TV Color Issue - Please help! [In reply to] Can't Post

In compliment to Ron's posts, I will add an unknown note for this TV. The small PCB mounted to the bottom of the flyback gets a small blue square plastic capacitor bad on it. The location is C2103 and the value is 100 nf at 250V. It begins with a bulge in the side and finally ends with a black pin hole blowing out.
Get this part replaced as you get the convergence problem fixed. New flybacks are $255 for this unit and are discontinued. Heads up...

I have the 60 inch with the same DPTV335 Chassis installed in it.

Knowlege is King Baby!!!

(This post was edited by richpart on Mar 8, 2011, 12:37 AM)

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.23 s on (CGI/1.1)