F.A.Q.

Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Philips plasma TV users! Please post to my blog to list your complaints

caselearning
New User

Apr 28, 2005, 2:02 PM

Post #1 of 6 (3469 views)
Shortcut
Philips plasma TV users! Please post to my blog to list your complaints Can't Post

The purpose of my blog is to launch a complaint against Philips and other plasma TV manufacturers whose products do not live up to the advertised lifespan.

In March of 2003, I purchased a 42 inch plasma TV from Expert. It is screen Model No. 42PF9952 and media box Matchline FTR9952. The problem started over 1 year ago when I would power on the TV on and it would shut off after only a few minutes. It would take several attempts to get it to stay on. Total failure occurred on 14 April 2005 when we were watching TV and we heard a loud POP and then it went into standby mode.

At the time of the purchased I declined the 3 year warranty due to the fact that the research on these particular models listed a lifetime of 30,000 hours. At the time that the problems started to occur, it reached only a fraction of that amount.

After the TV failed, I began to research similar problems with this model and discovered that very many people around the world had exactly the same problem.

My specific complaint is that Philips has conducted false advertising that had has mislead consumers to believe that they were purchasing a reliable product. I purchased this television for close to USD 6000 and am extremely displeased at the thought of replacing it or repairing it for an enormous cost.

Please post your story to my blog located at http://philipstv.blogspot.com

Philps won't ignore our complaints forever! If it comes to it, I will use this to launch a worldwide complaint againsts faulty plasma TV manufacturers.

(This post was edited by caselearning on Apr 28, 2005, 2:03 PM)

mel
Veteran

Apr 28, 2005, 9:04 PM

Post #2 of 6 (3454 views)
Shortcut
Re: [caselearning] Philips plasma TV users! Please post to my blog to list your complaints [In reply to] Can't Post

Without doing any further research, I'll go out on a limb and state that i think that you will find the 30,000 hours refers to the plasma display itself and not the electronics. No one in his/her right mind would even imply that any electonic part (resistor, capacitor, transistor, diode, IC, etc.) will last 30,00 hours.

caselearning
New User

Apr 28, 2005, 9:32 PM

Post #3 of 6 (3452 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mel] Philips plasma TV users! Please post to my blog to list your complaints [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks, but 90% of the cases that I've seen do NOT involve the electronics...otherwise almost anyone could replace the parts.

wayne boyd
New User

Apr 29, 2005, 2:11 PM

Post #4 of 6 (3444 views)
Shortcut
Re: [caselearning] Philips plasma TV users! Please post to my blog to list your complaints [In reply to] Can't Post

my self i have seen four types of phillips in 2 months

they are very poor, intermitant faults going into standbye and very poor crt,s that fail around 12months.

I HATE PHILLIPS NOW!
AND WILL NEVER BUY ONE ALSO THERE DVD AND VCR COMBINED IS JUST THE SAME AS THE HITACHI ONE IN ARGOS SAME INSIDES JUST A DIFFRENT FACE.
I KNOW BECOUSE IVE REPAIRED THEM.

SO PHILLIPS RIP YOU OF TO
PRICE PHILLIPS DVD-VCR APPROX £200
HITACHI £69

mel
Veteran

Apr 29, 2005, 9:31 PM

Post #5 of 6 (3440 views)
Shortcut

After discussing this with some fellow techs/shop owners, the consensus seems to be two years is the average for plasma TVs and it is not confined to any one brand. The two main problems are burn in where an image is left on the screen to long and burns into the iscreen and heat related problems caused by inadequate ventilation, no cooling fans or installed to close to external heat sources. Philips may well have tested their screens under ideal conditions 24 hours per day and the lasred for 3.5 years (30,000 hours) and it makes good advertising but lets face it, nothing is ideal in the real world.

caselearning
New User

Apr 30, 2005, 10:40 AM

Post #6 of 6 (3435 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mel] Philips plasma TV users! Please post to my blog to list your complaints [In reply to] Can't Post

I appreciate you looking into this, but here are the cold hard facts:

Hardly anyone has had success with Philips plasma TV for more than 3 years. I started having symptoms of failure only 1 year after purchase. So this means to me that they are not even living up to their own MTBF rating. Add to this the fact that no one in reality will leave their set on constantly for 3.5 years. IMO, there are serious flaws in their testing.

I stated in my original post that we should target ALL manufacturers that claim this lifespan. I focused on Philips because its the set that I had a problem with personally.

To touch on your first reply, I understand fully that Philips does not manufacture all components in the set, but if you go out an buy a car and a major component fails in all of the same model, the manufacturer will issue a recall. Whether they themselves manufacture the part or not makes no difference to me. I'm still without a car.

I purchased this set when the cost was still prohibitive (nearly USD 7000), so I consider this a major purchase. Therefore, if they don't live up to their claim then I and everyone else will be extremely pissed off to be honest.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.21 s on (CGI/1.1)