Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Power issue with RCA 60" Big Screen

mikewile
New User

Feb 9, 2005, 3:45 PM

Post #1 of 2 (1294 views)
Shortcut
Power issue with RCA 60" Big Screen Can't Post

I have a P60752EB 60" Rca big screen. It is about 10 years old and I have never had a problem with it until a few months ago. When I wake up in the morning the TV has come on by itself and there is no sound. I go to the menu and turn the Bass, Treble, and Balance back to normal and then turn the speakers on and it works just fine.

Over the weekend it completely died. Now when you push the power button or use the remote nothing happens, no green light in front or anything. I have tested the fuse with my DVM and it is good. I couldn't see any burned parts on the circuit boards.

Any Ideas???

Thanks
Michael

crawdaddy
New User

Feb 9, 2005, 5:40 PM

Post #2 of 2 (1289 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mikewile] Power issue with RCA 60" Big Screen [In reply to] Can't Post

If it's completely dead, I'd look first at the main filter capacitor in the power supply, it'll be the biggest one you see. It will be rated for 200-250 volts dc, 400-680 microfarads. With the set powered as normal, you should measure about 150-170 volts dc across this cap. In a 10 year old set, it's very possible for power supply caps, or other caps in the B+ circuits to dry out because of heat cycling over the years of normal use. I' m a little mystified as to the unit powering up by itself, or why the speakers were affected, but cranky capacitors can cause a wide variety of weird things to happen in the tv chassis. If it does turn out to be filter caps, it won't cost a lot to repair, provided doing so doesn't reveal a host of other troubles lying in wait...10 years is not a terribly long time for a tv, it's just a crap shoot as what else you may find...Good luck, let us know how you do......Smile

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.20 s on (CGI/1.1)