Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
ProScan PS35123, narrow picture.

jefnert
New User

Jan 14, 2005, 8:07 PM

Post #1 of 16 (2764 views)
Shortcut
ProScan PS35123, narrow picture. Can't Post

I have a Proscan PS35123 which started off with a jumpy picture. then the other night while watching tv the picture reduced to a narrow vertical strip in the center of the screen about 1 inch wide. the rest of the screen is black. You can still hear the voices and all else seems to be fine.

any ideas what might be broken, and then is it worth trying to fix.

thanks in advance.

mikemaiertv
Enthusiast

Jan 14, 2005, 10:28 PM

Post #2 of 16 (2757 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jefnert] ProScan PS35123, narrow picture. [In reply to] Can't Post

Capacitor C4401 has either desoldered it self or gone bad
Mike Owens Owner Competition TV Spokane WA.

jefnert
New User

Jan 19, 2005, 7:50 PM

Post #3 of 16 (2740 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mikemaiertv] ProScan PS35123, narrow picture. [In reply to] Can't Post

ok, I got the back cover off and got the circuit board out where I can see the numbers. However I cannot find C4401 anywhere on the board. I did find 4401 on the schematic and it appears to be a large white thing with a thick red wire coming from it going to the top of the picture tube. Is this large white thing the part that is bad? If it is can the red wire be unhooked from the picture tube or will that cause unrepairible damage.

If not can you give me some idea of what I should be looking for.

Thanks for your expert help.

shadetree
Veteran

Jan 20, 2005, 12:09 AM

Post #4 of 16 (2736 views)
Shortcut

ck blue capcaitor in front of horz output transistor sides may be bulged out usually .048@250 v

mel
Veteran

Jan 20, 2005, 1:26 AM

Post #5 of 16 (2735 views)
Shortcut

Unhooking that red wire may do irrreparable damage to you if you are not careful. There is about 30,000 volts stored under that cap and touching either the wire or the CRT can give you a nasty jolt. C401 is a surface mount cap located on the bottom side of the board right under the HOT Q14101.

minehunter
User

Jan 24, 2005, 3:39 PM

Post #6 of 16 (2717 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mel] ProScan PS35123, narrow picture. [In reply to] Can't Post

C4401 is a Blue Polyester capacitor that has probably opened. You can usually tell they are as the sides bulge out on them. The dimensions of this cap are approx L 1"xH 3/4"x W 3/8" . It sets just about in the middle of the PCB and looking from the back it will be on your side of the center heat sink.

jb
New User

Feb 14, 2005, 4:36 AM

Post #7 of 16 (2687 views)
Shortcut

hi i was wondering what you did as I am having the same problem with my ProScan PS35123 narrow vert line? let me know please
jb

jefnert
New User

Feb 15, 2005, 12:32 AM

Post #8 of 16 (2671 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jb] ProScan PS35123, narrow picture. [In reply to] Can't Post

I have not done anything with it yet. I am not really sure which capacitor I am supposed to be finding. give me a computer where I can remove parts and plug in new ones and I am ok. give me a circuit board and tell me to find something and I am totallly lost.

mel
Veteran

Feb 15, 2005, 1:29 AM

Post #9 of 16 (2666 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jb] ProScan PS35123, narrow picture. [In reply to] Can't Post

The narrow vertical line is a different problem entirely. You vertical IC has probably failed. You might want to check out www.FreeFlatScreens.com/?r=10948674 for an opportunity to earn a free replacement for this set witha little effort on your part.

jefnert
New User

Feb 22, 2005, 2:04 AM

Post #10 of 16 (2633 views)
Shortcut
Re: [minehunter] ProScan PS35123, narrow picture. [In reply to] Can't Post

First let me thank all of you who responded to my post. You all were very helpful.

Secondly I have found the problem capacitor and now need help in finding replacement parts.

I have two capacitors that I need to replace. The first one is the poly blue one below is a picture of it. The numbers on the top are the only ones on it.

http://www.jefnert.com/Picture/blue.jpg

The second one has 3 prongs and the following numbers on it. 40451-920, 6602-07, FEC 9414. below is a link to a picture of it. I dont know if it is a capacitor but that is what I am calling it.

http://www.jefnert.com/Picture/3prong.jpg

Thanks for any help you can provide. Also if you can give me an idea what these parts might cost.

minehunter
User

Feb 22, 2005, 4:00 AM

Post #11 of 16 (2631 views)
Shortcut

The three legged item you are referring to is a choke, it is most likely not bad. I can see in the picture that the cap has bulged sides. The only place you are going to find that particular cap is probably through RCA. the .48 is the value. It has to be a polyester cap or it won't work. I don't rmeber the part number, sorry.

mikemaiertv
Enthusiast

Feb 23, 2005, 12:28 AM

Post #12 of 16 (2618 views)
Shortcut

RCA Part # 197518 for the cap, the other thingy (the coil) just reinstall it try vancebaldwin.com for this part
Mike Owens Owner Competition TV Spokane WA.

jefnert
New User

Mar 7, 2005, 3:46 AM

Post #13 of 16 (2585 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mikemaiertv] ProScan PS35123, narrow picture. [In reply to] Can't Post

I have replaced the bad cap, and put the choke back in and the television powers up and I have a full screen again. thanks all for your help.

My new question is this. when I go into the menu the first couple letters are off the left side of the screen. How do I adjust it back so I can see all the letters.

My second question is: All the letters and numbers that do show on the screen have a rainbow effect going from left side of screen to right side. red, green, blue, pink, blue, green, red.

I have not been able to hook it up to cable yet so I don't know for sure what the picture will look like.Crazy

Thanks again for all your help.

minehunter
User

Mar 7, 2005, 9:12 PM

Post #14 of 16 (2573 views)
Shortcut

On the back of the set are several pots, I think one of them controls horizontal size. just look at them and maybe that will fix your problem

jefnert
New User

Mar 8, 2005, 12:18 AM

Post #15 of 16 (2571 views)
Shortcut

I did finally get cable hooked up to the tv and I do have a full picture now. The only problem that I now have is the coloring. it seems that the color pattern is in the shape of a bullseye. with red being the outerring, green next, followed by blue with a kind of pinkish purple in the center.

Any ideas on what might need adjusted or replaced to fix this.

jefnert
New User

Mar 9, 2005, 9:36 PM

Post #16 of 16 (2560 views)
Shortcut

Figured out the color rings problem. seems that the screen was not demagnatising properly. found that a little metal disc had become dislodged from the wires that perform that function. So $18 dollars later I now have a functioning 39" Color TV. Now if I can fix all the adjustments that I messed up while trying to fix it.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.22 s on (CGI/1.1)