Free Games TV Forums

Main Index FORUM
HOME
Search Posts SEARCH
IN
Rules & FAQ RULES
F.A.Q.

Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Problems with picture on 3-year-old Thomson 32" widescreen -- tube?

jase
New User

Apr 12, 2003, 12:56 PM

Post #1 of 2 (1710 views)
Shortcut
Problems with picture on 3-year-old Thomson 32" widescreen -- tube? Can't Post

Just thought I'd run this past you before I call someone out. This has been annoying me for some time.

I have a Ferguson (Thomson) 32" widescreen TV. It's only 3 years old, yet seems to be exhibiting symptoms of a dying tube Obviously this shouldn't be on such a new television (I knew I should have bought that extended warranty lol).

I view 4:3 pictures in pillarbox mode (black bars to the left and right), and when it's in this mode for any length of time the TV is fine.

However, go to widescreen mode and after a while the image starts to misconverge; white text on a dark background gets a pink shadow to the right and a blue-green one to the left (accompanied by a general loss of definition of the picture, probably due to the misconvergeance), and if the screen is full of a bright colour the colour starts to go completely; whites start to go pink (unless the rest of the screen is bluish in which case they go blue, especially noticable with text), and reds become darker. The whole screen seems washed out. Yet go to a darker scene and/or a 4:3 image and the image quickly settles back down to a decent picture.

What's going on here? Is it the tube, or is it more likely to be something in the power supply/regulation or something? TIA

jase
New User

Apr 12, 2003, 7:30 PM

Post #2 of 2 (1699 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jase] Problems with picture on 3-year-old Thomson 32" widescreen -- tube? [In reply to] Can't Post

Just like to add that if I turn the brightness up and contrast down (so black comes out as dark grey) the problem largely disappears. Ideas?

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.19 s on (CGI/1.1)