Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Projection TV Shut down with crackle, burning smell

mason storm
New User

Dec 8, 2004, 3:53 PM

Post #1 of 11 (2837 views)
Shortcut
Projection TV Shut down with crackle, burning smell Can't Post

I have an ProScan Model: PS52652. Its probably 10 years old. Just got if from my dad as he upgraded to a DLP. It was on for about 4-6 hours when a pop noise was heard and a burning smell came from the back. Upset i went to bed. Tried turning back on in the morning and it makes a small noice but green light will not come on, but you can tell it tried to.

Is this common? or is it expensive to fix etc?

minehunter
User

Dec 8, 2004, 7:19 PM

Post #2 of 11 (2833 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mason storm] Projection TV Shut down with crackle, burning smell [In reply to] Can't Post

Look on the back at the chassis number. If it is a CTC169 I think you'll need a hi voltage block. To test it, remove the front grill cover and then remove the small plastic panel that has the convergence pots on it. Find the high voltage block and remove the anode wire from the flyback. It's the large wire by it's self. make sure it won't contact anything and try and turn on the set. If you get a hi-voltage arc from the removed wire and the sound comes on the block is your cause. Sometimes the shorted block will cause the Horizontal Output to short, so if it doesn't come on check that too.

I think that Tritronics carrys them. They aren't very costly and are pretty easy to change. They don't require any soldering to replace. Just the one Anode wire from the Flyback and One from each Crt and several grounds that clip on.

mason storm
New User

Dec 11, 2004, 12:48 AM

Post #3 of 11 (2808 views)
Shortcut
Re: [minehunter] Projection TV Shut down with crackle, burning smell [In reply to] Can't Post

you were correct on the chassis as it was a ctc169. i took it to a local place and they said that i got a high voltage arc that messed up some other components. they wouldn't tell me what components though. they also said i was having a power supply problem.

they said for parts and labor from them it'd be $400-$500. which i said no to.

i have very little knowledge in this area but i'm pretty good at putting together and fixing things. if there is no soldering involved do you think i should go ahead with what you said to do and see if it works? i've got nothing to lose really....as the tv was a gift to me and it only lasted 3 freakin days. (my dad got a new dlp the bastard)

minehunter
User

Dec 11, 2004, 1:22 AM

Post #4 of 11 (2804 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mason storm] Projection TV Shut down with crackle, burning smell [In reply to] Can't Post

Remove the front grill and do the test like I stated and see if that is your problem. If the sound comes on and you get arcing from the anode lead, get a new HV splitter. If it does, then I would get a HV splitter and change it myself. The part can be found online at some parts suppliers for about $35. I saw the part number listed on this sight somewheres. I used to know it by heart, but it's been a while.

shadetree
Veteran

Dec 11, 2004, 2:21 AM

Post #5 of 11 (2803 views)
Shortcut
Re: [minehunter] Projection TV Shut down with crackle, burning smell [In reply to] Can't Post

make sure you get a rca splitter the generics are worthless

mason storm
New User

Dec 16, 2004, 1:07 AM

Post #6 of 11 (2754 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shadetree] Projection TV Shut down with crackle, burning smell [In reply to] Can't Post

is the rca hv splitter unique to the proscan, or will any rca hv splitter work regardless of size of projection tv.

i'm a total novice on this stuff...is replacing this going to be too difficult? and what kind of tools will i need?

shadetree
Veteran

Dec 16, 2004, 1:51 AM

Post #7 of 11 (2753 views)
Shortcut

is it black or white most likely black was used for several years part no. 205064 get rca not generic wehaveparts.com

mason storm
New User

Dec 29, 2004, 6:09 PM

Post #8 of 11 (2713 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shadetree] Projection TV Shut down with crackle, burning smell [In reply to] Can't Post

Alright...i have the RCA splitter.....the people at the TV repair said i may also need to replace the power supply because it cause the high voltage arc...is that necessary you think..or will this splitter get me by? i'm looking to run for about 6-8 months with this before i go to the wide screen....

shadetree
Veteran

Dec 29, 2004, 6:37 PM

Post #9 of 11 (2710 views)
Shortcut

just put the splitter in you worry too much

mason storm
New User

Dec 30, 2004, 4:37 PM

Post #10 of 11 (2702 views)
Shortcut

its working!!!!!

Thanks!

I've got a little bit of a static sound coming out of the speakers...but i'll probably just buy some surround sound or something to get me by....

unless you know of a quick fix for that.

shadetree
Veteran

Dec 30, 2004, 4:42 PM

Post #11 of 11 (2700 views)
Shortcut

make sure wires are seated good in splitter one could be arcing just a bit making static in speakers

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.27 s on (CGI/1.1)