Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
RCA 36" TV suddenly not working PLEASE HELP

HeinekenHazed
New User

Jan 5, 2004, 8:29 PM

Post #1 of 2 (1747 views)
Shortcut
RCA 36" TV suddenly not working PLEASE HELP Can't Post

HI, I have a 36" (maybe 32) RCA tv, model number F36669YX51, the set is only a couple of years old and has never been moved since date of purchase...Anyways the set started making little poping noises the other day, causing the screen to flicker slightly every time i heard the noise. This progressed into much louder noises and the screen eventually going all the way off and then on again untill it quit all together. Looking down into the set i can breifly see current arcing every time I try to turn it on. The arcing is coming from or going to a liitle box (posiblly a voltage transformer???) on the bottom of the chasis in the middle of the set, it has a large red wire coming out the top that connects to the top of the picture tube. I'm no electrician but I somewhat know my way around electronics and I would like to try and remedy this problem on my own. Any help would GREATLY be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,

Josh

mel
Veteran

Jan 5, 2004, 11:26 PM

Post #2 of 2 (1740 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HeinekenHazed] RCA 36" TV suddenly not working PLEASE HELP [In reply to] Can't Post

That little dodad is the high voltage transformer and is very dangerous to mess with. You apparently have a crack in the insulation which is allowing the high voltage to arc to a nearby metal component. Sometimes, this can be corrected by daubing the crack with epoxy or silicon seal but your best bet is to just replace the transformer itself. Due to the level of voltages that you are dealing with, if you don't know what you are doing, don't. Leave it to a professional. Good Luck!

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.19 s on (CGI/1.1)