Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
RCA Home Theater Dumpster TV F27732SB

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Bubbasweet
User

Jul 22, 2007, 4:42 AM

Post #26 of 49 (1983 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bubbasweet] RCA Home Theater Dumpster TV F27732SB (FIXED) [In reply to] Can't Post

Just did it,, turned the lights off and dark. But no sparking arking or barking. Just that faint slow tick like the sound to me it sounds like a reistor cooking but no real burning smell. I can't tell if it is coming from the chassis or the tube. I am not putting my head in there when it is on that's forsure. The spuratic Shaking screen thing happened again when I fired it back up a few times and now is gone again. I am going to post a MPG of it when I can get it to happen again. I am waiting for it to do it again. I wonder if I should replace the horizontal IC and electrolytic caps in the vertical circuit.. Here is what we do know so far.

1. It DID have no verticle output a week ago. Was a centered Flat horizontal line full width.
2. It is making a very fine/faint ticking noise to me sounds like something frying but very faint and very infrequent but no burning smell and FYI.. I also hear this same sound when I put my head above my 10 year old computer moniter so maybe it's normal?? Or both are old and have dried out caps?..
Ugh I have heard this CTC169 is a pain but it's fun learning + if nothing else I am learning my way around what the parts are in a TV. . I know tube amps like the back of my hand but TV's are different.

(This post was edited by Bubbasweet on Aug 4, 2007, 12:15 AM)

Bubbasweet
User

Jul 22, 2007, 4:04 PM

Post #27 of 49 (1974 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bubbasweet] RCA Home Theater Dumpster TV F27732SB [In reply to] Can't Post

Here is an short video of the shaking. This is a mild episode of it.
www.classicmask.com/MPG/Imgp4372.avi

Bubbasweet
User

Jul 22, 2007, 5:50 PM

Post #28 of 49 (1969 views)
Shortcut

Oh well, I guess I will just wait it out. As it is happening less and less and hopfully the component with just go someday.. Sh*t or get off the pot so to speak... Just checked with RCA they want 63.00 for the service info?? THis is why our land fills are growing. Most people would just turf it. But I will fix it and I will get the service info but not from them. If these service manuals were resonably priced say 25.00 people would not resort to buying them on the black market however there is no way I will pay that..

(This post was edited by Bubbasweet on Jul 22, 2007, 6:08 PM)

mel
Veteran

Jul 22, 2007, 9:00 PM

Post #29 of 49 (1966 views)
Shortcut

Try www.samswebsite.com. You may have an intermittent short/arcing in the CRT. That is unrepairable and is probably why the set was in the dumpster.

Bubbasweet
User

Jul 22, 2007, 9:18 PM

Post #30 of 49 (1965 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mel] RCA Home Theater Dumpster TV F27732SB [In reply to] Can't Post

What are the symptoms of such a thing? Also kind of strange odds if that IS the problem to have the flat line 1 week ago. Unlikely that the vertical and the tube shorting would happen at the same time no? Or does shorting of the CRT cause a flat line somtimes? What will happen if it finally shorts out? SMOKE? Explosion?

One more thing... It is EXTREMELY HUMID here right now. I was reading somthing else where it said that this sound may be due to extrem humidity. It's humid here in Vancouver at the best of times but right now you can FELL the humidity thick in the air.

(This post was edited by Bubbasweet on Jul 23, 2007, 12:40 AM)

mel
Veteran

Jul 23, 2007, 9:56 PM

Post #31 of 49 (1952 views)
Shortcut

You might be able to see sparking in the neck of the CRT. It's not likely to have the two problems simultaniously but one should not cause the other. The humidity could be a factor and is the reason that I suggested cleaning the dust off of the CRT. Humidity accumulates in the dust and creats a circuit for the high voltage to surrounding metal objects. If the current problem is an intermittent in the CRT, nothing catastrophic will happen. A trick that I use to locate the source of strange noises in a set is to use the cardboard core from a paper towel roll and put it to my ear and move the end around the set til the noise is loudest.

Bubbasweet
User

Jul 24, 2007, 12:28 AM

Post #32 of 49 (1946 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mel] RCA Home Theater Dumpster TV F27732SB [In reply to] Can't Post

Well I appreciate your time MEL. There was NO sparking or arcing at all when I took the back off the other night in the dark. I just turned it on as I am home from work, It is bouncing right now and when it does it seems that the top and bottom or the picture slightly come in toward the center slightly but it is really fast/bouncy and sublte..
I wonder if I should replace the vertical IC and the electrolytics around it? They are cheap from what I understand. Might be worth a try. To me it seems like a flaky component (not that I am a pro at TV's like you guys). A cap would do this though..
There is no discoloration or brightness/dullness in the picture at all. I have read that when the screen is shorting depending that these symptoms are usually present.. depending if the shorting is Cathode to plate or grid to Cathode etc etc.

** FYI. I put on some old 60's Hockey footage (It's Very White and Not great quality so it jumps a bit.) and it makes the screen problem flare up. As soon as I switch back to a stable channel it does down... Interesting. Put the hockey back on and it flares up.. GO back to a normal channel and it goes away.. The Hockey footage is very white and as soon as I play it on DVD it makes it act up... Does this give any insight? Does the white or unstable light footage cause the picture tube to draw more or somthing?
UPDATE. I am still watching the hockey footage and it has calmed down again and is handling it.. I thought it was going to explode.

(This post was edited by Bubbasweet on Jul 24, 2007, 4:12 AM)

mel
Veteran

Jul 24, 2007, 9:36 PM

Post #33 of 49 (1933 views)
Shortcut

Try www.samswebsite.com.

Bubbasweet
User

Jul 28, 2007, 7:49 PM

Post #34 of 49 (1905 views)
Shortcut

OK I ordered the schematic. Since my last post (about one week) I have been analyzing the behavior of the set.. I do notice that the instability (Shakyness) is usually upon first turning the set on and usually disappears within about the first 5 minutes. Meaning it is kind of a "when warming up thing".. Sometimes I press the on button and it doesn't fire and no Green LED. but then fires no problem when I press it again. I have read a few other posts and wonder if it could be the electolytic capacitor nearest the flyback transformer going flaky?? Is this component a possible likely component that may be flaky that may lend to these symptoms. The shorting CRT thing I am not sure about as it runs fine with PERFECT picture for 6 or 7 hours no problem after it cleans up. But then again I am not an expert by any means. If it was shorting wouldn't it keep doing so and would I not see drastic picture or color problems?

Paulpablo
Enthusiast

Jul 28, 2007, 11:11 PM

Post #35 of 49 (1895 views)
Shortcut

That is a 169 chassis and well known for power supply problems. You could at one time get a kit to repair. Chec or change C4102(2.2mfd@100v) C4104(15mfd@63v) C4108(39mfd@100v); some versions use47mfd.

Bubbasweet
User

Jul 29, 2007, 3:15 AM

Post #36 of 49 (1889 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Paulpablo] RCA Home Theater Dumpster TV F27732SB [In reply to] Can't Post

Will do Paul..

Paulpablo
Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2007, 11:25 PM

Post #37 of 49 (1865 views)
Shortcut

For that shaking, check or replace C4519 and C4520.

Bubbasweet
User

Jul 31, 2007, 5:13 AM

Post #38 of 49 (1858 views)
Shortcut

Got the Schematic.. Not too impressed with it as component layout only has a few components. Numbering is different as well it took me a bit to figure out C4505 is now C505 etc. Not sure why because the chassis and model match the schem. Will replace those caps tomorrow.

Bubbasweet
User

Aug 2, 2007, 5:14 AM

Post #39 of 49 (1838 views)
Shortcut

OK well I replaced those two .33 uF Caps the voltage divider Caps 519 and 520 in the vertical section. SO far so good not a sputter vertical wise CRT sounds fine (THANX PAUL). The only thing I notice now is that there are these funny very subtle colors showing up along the top of screen (see photos.) Is there an adjustment that I can make to fix this? Maybe caused by Component values changing? It wasn't there before. I resoldered a bunch of other joints at the same time and changed about 5 caps around the vertical 8 pin IC. I think a vertical adjustmant like the old TV's had would fix it but I am not sure A) what I am seeing and B) How to do it on a new TV like this. Which pot do I turn..
http://img124.imageshack.us/.../231/imgp4413ab3.jpg
http://img160.imageshack.us/...4263/imgp4414hw5.jpg http://img72.imageshack.us/...4283/imgp4415ma2.jpg

(This post was edited by Bubbasweet on Aug 2, 2007, 5:21 AM)

Bubbasweet
User

Aug 2, 2007, 2:07 PM

Post #40 of 49 (1825 views)
Shortcut

* Next Morning Update. I turned it on this morning and picture is totally perfect on the top and everywhere else. I need to see now if this thin line across the top comes back or comes back when it get's warmed up.
Vertical is still solid with no shaking at all.
I notice when I turn the set on, it doesn''t always fire as well. May be a seperate problem?. I turned it off last night and it came back on thisonly happened once like the switch is bouncing or somthing..

Bubbasweet
User

Aug 2, 2007, 2:49 PM

Post #41 of 49 (1820 views)
Shortcut

Yup it's back. Very thin (1/16th 1/8) line across the top with a rainbow of colors (seems SLIGHTLY thicker towards middle or like bowing VERY slightly from top center.) across entire the top with colors in it.
Doesn't start showing up until set is warmed up.

I have an new Vertical IC should I put it in or is this another component going a drift?

Paulpablo
Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2007, 7:18 PM

Post #42 of 49 (1813 views)
Shortcut

Change C4108 (39mfd@100v) turning back on problem. Check or change CC4307 (6.8 mfd@100v) and C4311 (4.7mfd@50v) and R4523 (1k 1wt) and C4511(1.5 pf@250v) for your vertical problem.

Bubbasweet
User

Aug 2, 2007, 8:27 PM

Post #43 of 49 (1809 views)
Shortcut

Will do Paul THANX ALOT. Can I use somthing close to 39uF but same voltage?? it seems an impossible value to find.

Paulpablo
Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2007, 9:58 PM

Post #44 of 49 (1804 views)
Shortcut

A 40 mfd with same or higher voltage will most likely work.

Bubbasweet
User

Aug 2, 2007, 10:20 PM

Post #45 of 49 (1800 views)
Shortcut

It seems there are only 33uF then 47uF in most stores here. Would 47uF likely work for the power supply? Do you recommend a good online source for these rare values like 6.8 as well. The 1.5 pF 250V I could not find either everyone said it is a rare value.

Paulpablo
Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2007, 11:35 PM

Post #46 of 49 (1796 views)
Shortcut

I don't know where you are located but your schematic should show the part #s for those items and you can order from Tritronics.

Bubbasweet
User

Aug 3, 2007, 2:22 AM

Post #47 of 49 (1793 views)
Shortcut

Question the schamiatic says 1.5 uF not pF..

DO you know which is right? I guess I can look at the component.

B

Paulpablo
Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2007, 2:07 PM

Post #48 of 49 (1783 views)
Shortcut

Check the cap.

Bubbasweet
User

Aug 4, 2007, 12:10 AM

Post #49 of 49 (1774 views)
Shortcut

I replaced all caps and now it is STABLE. After I first powered it up, the top thin color thing cameback slightly but not as bad as before, so I went to adjust the vertical height just to try something and blammo GONE. Maybe dirt in the vertical height pot? Never even turned it just put the allen key inside the hole... Anyway a big thank you to Paul and Franky... So far so good. The shaking is gone with replacing those 2 33uF Caps. Happy the tube doesn't have a short.. I wonder how many years I can keep it going for.

I owe you guys a beer..
Bubba

(This post was edited by Bubbasweet on Aug 4, 2007, 1:56 AM)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.24 s on (CGI/1.1)