usulsuspct
New User

Mar 13, 2005, 5:31 AM

Post #1 of 7 (2228 views)
Shortcut
RCA Hourglass Picture Can't Post

Model F31633SB
Chassis CTC187CN2

Recently the picture took on an hourglass shape. The color looks fine and other than the strange shape the picture looks relatively clear. I have done some searching and some suggest a faulty pincushion? I currently have the tv on my workbench taken apart with the case removed and the circuit board removed from the tray. There is a slight carbon smell but I dont immediately see any burnt resistors etc. Can someone help me find where I need to look at this thing? Are there any schematics available? Some suggest looking at 4403 / 4407 (but I am not sure where they are physically located on the board.)

Any help you can offer me is much appreciated it!

Thans.

mel
Veteran

Mar 14, 2005, 1:10 AM

Post #2 of 7 (2219 views)
Shortcut
Re: [usulsuspct] RCA Hourglass Picture [In reply to] Can't Post

You can go to www/samswebsite.com and download the Photofact for this set for $20. They do not list the CN2 config but the CN3 should work. It seems to me that I had one of these recently where the diode in the power supply to the pincushion section had a bad solder joint but right now I can't find my notes on that job so I can't be sure. You might also want to check out www.FreeFlatScreens.com/?r=10948674 for an opportunity to earn a free replacement for this set with a little effort on your part

usulsuspct
New User

Mar 16, 2005, 12:44 AM

Post #3 of 7 (2200 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mel] RCA Hourglass Picture [In reply to] Can't Post

Whats the easiest way to check a cold solder on the power supply to the pin cushion?

Thanks

mel
Veteran

Mar 16, 2005, 12:52 AM

Post #4 of 7 (2198 views)
Shortcut

Just look for one that looks grainy or obviously has a bad connection. A magnifying glass sometimes helps.

usulsuspct
New User

Mar 16, 2005, 1:33 PM

Post #5 of 7 (2187 views)
Shortcut

Thanks for the advice, I think I found it. I was only able to find a 15w soldering iron at the house, but I added a little bit of solder to what appeared to be a grainy solder point on cr4403.

Turned on the TV and voila the hourglass picture was gone. I would like to get a more powerfull soldering iron so I could do a better job.

What wattage do you recommend? (The 15w I currently have was not enough.)

mel
Veteran

Mar 17, 2005, 12:06 AM

Post #6 of 7 (2181 views)
Shortcut

I have found that a 35 watt pencil iron is more than adequate for most of the soldering jobs that I do. You can get a cheap one for about $6 which should do you fine.

usulsuspct
New User

Mar 17, 2005, 12:23 PM

Post #7 of 7 (2179 views)
Shortcut

Thans for all the advice, I found a 40 watt pencil iron. I touched up the solder joint put the case back together and let the tv run for a couple of hours without any issue.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.21 s on (CGI/1.1)