Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
RCA PROSCAN 32109 NO SOUND

jjaanice
New User

Jan 26, 2005, 4:14 PM

Post #1 of 2 (1350 views)
Shortcut
RCA PROSCAN 32109 NO SOUND Can't Post

I want to thank the three replies (Shadetree, Mel and Minehunter) to my last thread ( I can't seem to reply to that thread directly). My TV is a CTC197 Chassis. I have found Howard Sams's book RCA/GE Televisions servicing series at my local library. I tried unpluging the TV but sound did not come back (the sound from the connected DVD still works!). I tried connecting the external speakers to my HI-FI but got no sound so it must be ?audio switch circuit?. After looking through this book it appears the audio processing is carried in the T4 chip (U16201). DO I have to replace the whole chip ( I have a diagram of this chip ). It also says the audio processing circuits are complicated ( it has stereo/SAP circuits, an SRS module and AVR technology). U11600 is the most important part of audio system and I have a block diagram of the IC . (There are 2 switches SW1 ans SW2 inside this). So guys can I obtain a T4 chip and a U11600 and change them myself. I even have a page in this book that is titled AUDIO TROUBLESHOOTING but for this I have to "scope" different IC pins and check voltages . I don't have the repair equipment for that but I not ready to give up yet.... HELP! If I took this to a repair person what would be a reasonable charge to troubleshoot this with the diagrams I have?

mel
Veteran

Jan 26, 2005, 11:54 PM

Post #2 of 2 (1343 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jjaanice] RCA PROSCAN 32109 NO SOUND [In reply to] Can't Post

Actually, I would more suspect that it is something between the IF IC and the audio switch. There is probably a common B+ source that feeds those components (e.g. the buffer, decoder, summers, etc.) which may have failed. Check your schematic for this. I believe that there is a fusible resistor in this circuit which may have opened. Looking at what I believe is a similar circuit, it would account for having sound from the external input jacks but not from the external output jacks.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.20 s on (CGI/1.1)