Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Do I have any recourse?

JohnF
New User

Nov 18, 2021, 2:55 AM

Post #1 of 4 (878 views)
Shortcut
Do I have any recourse? Can't Post

I was watching my Sony Bravia (XBR75 800H) and it had a message pop up on the screen and said an update is ready to apply. I clicked apply and my screen went black.

Chatted with Sony support and two different people couldn't resolve it. They had me try a firmware update etc. It took hours and finally they said because the TV is over a year old the warranty is expired. The TV is a year and 10 days old.

I tried to tell them my tv was fine and the update broke it but they said sorry can't help you.

Can't help feeling what they are doing is not right. Am I screwed or do I have any recourse at all?

And many thanks to anyone who has any idea.

catsunstyx
New User

Dec 28, 2021, 10:26 AM

Post #2 of 4 (794 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JohnF] Do I have any recourse? [In reply to] Can't Post

Because of firmware updates, devices often suffer, not just TV. Obviously, in your case the TV itself is fine and it's all about the firmware update. The only way out that comes to mind is to roll back the firmware to a previous version, if there is such a possibility

JohnF
New User

Dec 28, 2021, 5:25 PM

Post #3 of 4 (791 views)
Shortcut
Re: [catsunstyx] Do I have any recourse? [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks catsunstyx. Sony said because it's days past one year take a hike. The store I bought it at said we only cover three weeks past purchase. The person I spoke to at Sony said here is the authorized dealer in your city - the sketchiest looking place I've ever seen in a strip mall. Their website is 100 times worse. Negative zero confidence in where that goes.

Haven't decided if I use it as a coffee table or take it to the busiest intersection downtown and put a big Sony Bravia sign on it and give tickets for a random winner to get to smash it.

catsunstyx
New User

Jan 5, 2022, 9:59 AM

Post #4 of 4 (738 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JohnF] Do I have any recourse? [In reply to] Can't Post

That last option is awesome Laugh
But in all seriousness, I wish you find a way out of the situation after all

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.20 s on (CGI/1.1)