Samsung un55j620dafxza lightning damage

tundrawolf
New User

Nov 14, 2018, 12:33 AM

Post #1 of 3 (899 views)
Shortcut
Samsung un55j620dafxza lightning damage Can't Post

Hi,

So I did some work for a Samsung 55" TV that was plugged in when a distribution transformer was hit by lightning. The clients house, his router broke, his tv broke, and his Samsung sound bar broke. Other appliances that were plugged in survived (like his desktop computer).

I told him to replace the power supply on his sound bar because it wasn't outputting, and it made the sound bar work again.

As far as the TV went, I told him to replace the power board and it would probably work, so he did, but it still does not turn on.

The red light in the lower right hand corner does come on. So there's some life. But the button underneath doesn't turn it on, and neither does the remote.

What board would I be looking at replacing, next? I haven't torn into the TV too far, but I imagine the board that the IR receiver and the power button plug into would be my next step in replacing, I think.

Any advice is helpful.

jts1957
Veteran

Nov 15, 2018, 3:01 AM

Post #2 of 3 (890 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tundrawolf] Samsung un55j620dafxza lightning damage [In reply to] Can't Post

What board would I be looking at replacing, next? I haven't torn into the TV too far, but I imagine the board that the IR receiver and the power button plug into would be my next step in replacing, I think.

That wood be de Main Board.

-------------------------

tundrawolf
New User

Nov 23, 2018, 3:05 AM

Post #3 of 3 (871 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Samsung un55j620dafxza lightning damage [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

That wood be de Main Board.

You are correct!

Replaced the main board for $26 bucks and I am watching this TV now :)

I identified three visually damaged SMT components on it around the cat5 jack, one was cracked in half, one had blown out a chunk, and the other one looked like it arced onto the main board.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.21 s on (CGI/1.1)