Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Remote sensor on Toshiba 32AF43

UberPooch
New User

Dec 26, 2008, 5:01 AM

Post #1 of 18 (12298 views)
Shortcut
Remote sensor on Toshiba 32AF43 Can't Post

The remote sensor on my Toshiba 32AF43 is shot. Fixing it is too costly. Does anyone know if you can buy some type of external remote control device that for a TV that you can use instead of the built-in one? Trying to find a cost-effective solution for this.
Thanks!
UP

techchris
Veteran

Dec 26, 2008, 4:43 PM

Post #2 of 18 (12287 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UberPooch] Remote sensor on Toshiba 32AF43 [In reply to] Can't Post

the cost of the remote sensor is peanuts. its a 3 legged unit behind the front glass window at the front of the tv.if you can solder, take it off the board,go to a local repair guy who will probably have lots of scrap units that you can buy even cheaper and fit into your tv.

Repair man
Enthusiast

Dec 26, 2008, 8:19 PM

Post #3 of 18 (12282 views)
Shortcut

I agree with techchris, this is something that anyone could repair themselves for under $2.00 -- Dan

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you (or anyone reading this post) have any further questions or need clarification please feel free to contact me direct; you can find my email address by clicking on my user-name.

Learn Plasma TV Repair

UberPooch
New User

Dec 26, 2008, 10:12 PM

Post #4 of 18 (12279 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Repair man] Remote sensor on Toshiba 32AF43 [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't have any experience with TV repair, never took the front off and can't solder. I'm guessing I'll have to haul it down to a repair shop and have them do the work.

UberPooch
New User

Dec 26, 2008, 10:38 PM

Post #5 of 18 (12278 views)
Shortcut

I've called several TV service shops in my area and they all estimate about $100 with labor, parts, etc. For a 6-yr old TV I gotta wonder how what appears to be a small repair costs so much.

Repair man
Enthusiast

Dec 27, 2008, 6:31 AM

Post #6 of 18 (12273 views)
Shortcut

There is not as many things being repaired as there once was, most electronics these days are throw away items so repair shops have to charge that much just to make a living (I know because I run one of these shops and I would charge that much too) In all honesty it is less than a $2 part and less than 20 mins to change. I would suggest that you find a friend that has some knowledge of soldering and have them change it with our guidance, -- Dan

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you (or anyone reading this post) have any further questions or need clarification please feel free to contact me direct; you can find my email address by clicking on my user-name.

Learn Plasma TV Repair

rrobor
Veteran

Dec 27, 2008, 8:38 AM

Post #7 of 18 (12270 views)
Shortcut

Point one, how do you know its the senser. I have replaced about two of those in my career that were faulty and another half dozen that were not. Quite often its a capacitor that dries out or the supply, or someone washes the screen and dribble eats out the print. Im sorry but if I were puting odds on this one Ill give you 2 to 1 against it being the senser, so doint raise your hopes. Being a Scot I bet on sure things and though Im not sure, it would be a good bet for me.

techchris
Veteran

Dec 27, 2008, 4:32 PM

Post #8 of 18 (12267 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rrobor] Remote sensor on Toshiba 32AF43 [In reply to] Can't Post

and a sure bet is porridge is good for mornings and glenmorangie for the evenings too!!
that said I woulldn't throw the tv away for $2

rrobor
Veteran

Dec 28, 2008, 10:08 AM

Post #9 of 18 (12260 views)
Shortcut
Re: [techchris] Remote sensor on Toshiba 32AF43 [In reply to] Can't Post

With salt yes. and your choice of brew could be better, try a Glen Livet, its so smooth that all you get is the taste and the heat. Not quite angels tears but not far off. Slangevaa and lang may your lum reek. Rob.

UberPooch
New User

Dec 28, 2008, 7:25 PM

Post #10 of 18 (12253 views)
Shortcut

Point one, how do you know its the senser.

I don't. It's a best guess based on research I've done. The remote works fine on my other components (DVD) but only intermittently with my TV. The problem has gotten worse and now it barely works. Several days will go by and then I'll pick up the remote and it'll turn on the TV and change a couple channels/adjust the volume before going out again.

Via advice elsewhere I've been told it's either the the sensor on the TV or the EPROM chip will need to be replaced along with a crystal that is on the chip. Either way I'm looking at around $100 for a shop to look at it, verify the problem and fix it. I was hoping there was some type of external remote device I could plug into the TV that costs less and just bypass the internal remote component.

(This post was edited by UberPooch on Dec 28, 2008, 7:33 PM)

rrobor
Veteran

Dec 29, 2008, 11:42 AM

Post #11 of 18 (12244 views)
Shortcut

With what you now say the odds against the senser grows. For 1 its not an Eprom so drop that, chances are its a dry joint or a print issue. A senser is a diode, no more or less, it will work or it will fail, the chances of it working sometimes and not others due to it being faulty are almost nil. The crystal works your micro and the remote works at an harmonic of that frequency. If the crystal fails your TV fails. Crystals in remote handsets can change frequency due to rough handling but inside the TV, Ive had dry joint or glue corruption and the odd failure but never intermittent. Your knowledge or your advice is poor, The odds of fixing your TV with the parts you state are about 100 to 1

Repair man
Enthusiast

Dec 29, 2008, 6:04 PM

Post #12 of 18 (12242 views)
Shortcut

If it's intermittent check for poor solder connections on the remote sensor (try re-soldering the connections on the sensor) -- Dan

Learn Plasma TV Repair

TheNatural
New User

Jan 22, 2009, 4:53 AM

Post #13 of 18 (12183 views)
Shortcut

I have a 36" Toshiba and have the same issue! I noticed the remote would work intermittently then it just quit working completely. It is not the remote itself because it works on dvd and sat, and other universal remotes that use to work this Toshiba don't any more.

I also had an issue with the video 3 input on the front panel, the video and sound would go in and out. I took it apart and found the solder joints came apart. I applied new solder to the joints and it works perfectly again.

I checked the on board remote sensor led for dry joints (there are two, one is surrounded by a metal box and the other sits right above that) and they both look fine.

Seems that a lot of people have this issue with Toshiba tvs. I really don't see the led going bad, but can't think of anything else.

I have it hooked up to my stereo so volume is not an issue, just have to get up to change between inputs. Not that bad, but would like to fix it if anyone knows what it could be.

(This post was edited by TheNatural on Jan 22, 2009, 4:59 AM)

techchris
Veteran

Jan 22, 2009, 11:04 AM

Post #14 of 18 (12173 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TheNatural] Remote sensor on Toshiba 32AF43 [In reply to] Can't Post

for $2 I would change the I/R sensor and follow the print from there to the microprocessor,probably through a resistor to see if there are any dry solder joints

CGraziano
New User

Jun 19, 2012, 4:04 PM

Post #15 of 18 (8719 views)
Shortcut

Hello, I found this thread via a google search. I am having the same issue with this TV and the fix sounds simple enough. Can anyone provide a pic or a diagram of the repair? I've used a solderer before, so I am confident I can do the repair myself, but would like to see a diagram or photo if anyone has one.

Thanks in advance,
CG

jts1957
Veteran

Jun 19, 2012, 8:21 PM

Post #16 of 18 (8714 views)
Shortcut
Re: [CGraziano] Remote sensor on Toshiba 32AF43 [In reply to] Can't Post

http://elektrotanya.com/...43.pdf/download.html

Have at it. Wink

-------------------------

CGraziano
New User

Jun 20, 2012, 12:46 AM

Post #17 of 18 (8710 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Remote sensor on Toshiba 32AF43 [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the download, that will be a big help! Looks like the real challenge (for me anyway) is getting that board out! Any pointers?

mel
Veteran

Jun 20, 2012, 1:01 AM

Post #18 of 18 (8708 views)
Shortcut
Re: [CGraziano] Remote sensor on Toshiba 32AF43 [In reply to] Can't Post

If all you want to do is change channels and volume remotely, buy a cheap VCR and run the signal thru that.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.23 s on (CGI/1.1)