Repairing a Dynex 40" LCD DX-L40-10A

blunderbuss
New User

Jun 16, 2011, 10:48 PM

Post #1 of 1 (3634 views)
Shortcut
Repairing a Dynex 40" LCD DX-L40-10A Can't Post

Hi All,

I bought a dynex 40" tv 1 year and 1.5 months ago, and just like clockwork as the warranty ran out and I had scoffed at the extended warranty, the TV is breaking.

Symptoms:
The red "power" indicator turns on normally but when I try to switch the TV on I hear a click, the red power indicator turns blue as usual but the screen remains dark and no sound is present. The TV is unresponsive to attempts to turn off the power and turn on again. After unplugging the TV (I hear a click then too) and replugging again the red indicator comes on. When pressing the power it then, clicks, then turns to blue only this time it will work.

The symptoms have been worsening however. For a while I needed to only do this now and again. Now it's every time. While a complete pain, I could live with it, only yesterday a new problem happened. While the TV was on and working, the picture went black and the TV started screeching. I turned it off and on per my routine above and everything was fine again. This AM it did the same thing.

From what I've read the issue is likely the power supply or the inverter. I've also read dynex is notoriously bad for power supplies so I'm guessing that's the issue.
there's a great video on repairing a samsung with similar symptoms which apparently has leaky capacitors.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mm51C_RDIZE

What's been done:
so i opened up my dynex, and the issue is, unlike in the video above, my capacitors don't really appear to be bulging or leaking.

So now i'm wondering how much i should try to invest in trying to fix this problem since it doesn't seem to be due to an (somewhat) easily fixed problem.
Could the capacitors still be an issue even though they don't appear to be bulging or leaking? would it still be worthwhile trying to replace them hoping they'll work. Anyone have a good alternative idea to try that won't break the bank.

What i don't want to end up happening is spending a bunch of money trying to fix it, only to fail and spend additional money on a new TV.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

(This post was edited by blunderbuss on Jun 16, 2011, 10:51 PM)

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.18 s on (CGI/1.1)