Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Request for help: Locked-up Sony KV21X4D

ynte
New User

Apr 24, 2006, 7:47 PM

Post #1 of 3 (1006 views)
Shortcut
Request for help: Locked-up Sony KV21X4D Can't Post

While fiddling around in Service Mode I managed to lock-up my Sony KV21X4D. It's similar to the KV21C4. I'm not very familiar with servicing TVs, so I'll try to describe the problem as detailed as possible. Hopefully somebody will be able to provide some advice on how to fix this.

Here's what happened:

I was trying out a few of the TT service commands, when suddenly the set stopped responding to inputs. The broadcast kept playing in the background, but I couldn't change channel, volume or any other setting, nor could I power off using the standby button on the remote.

The set has been in this state ever since. All I can do is turn it off and back on with the front power switch. After powering on it will immediately go back to playing the same channel that was on when it locked up. The screen also keeps showing the same green text "TT07". It's the last service command I entered. I believe it stands for 'Ageing Mode'.

It looks to me as if the contents of some EPROM or other memory chip have become corrupt.

Here's what I tried so far:

- Keeping the unit unplugged from mains for 24 hours. No change.
- Ordered the official service manual. No luck here either.

Can anybody provide some helpful suggestions? I know my way around with a screwdriver and a multi-meter and I'm not afraid to open up the unit. If you are in a possition to help me, I could send you the service manual in return (a 150MB PDF file).

Ynte

techchris
Veteran

Apr 25, 2006, 7:24 AM

Post #2 of 3 (995 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ynte] Request for help: Locked-up Sony KV21X4D [In reply to] Can't Post

OH DEAR OH DEAR. pressing things randomly in service mode is a definate no no. go into service mode and press 08. this resets everything to factory default setting for your country. if that wont cure it then the eprom will probably have to be changed. you didnt say why you were doing that in the first place.

ynte
New User

Apr 25, 2006, 9:02 AM

Post #3 of 3 (992 views)
Shortcut
Re: [techchris] Request for help: Locked-up Sony KV21X4D [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi techchris,

I tried your suggestion, but unfortunately the unit won't respond at all. I also tried another method I read about: powering on while holding 2 front side buttons. But that didn't help either.

To explain a bit as to why I was messing around like this. It started out from a desire to fix some minor geometry problems and reduce the overscan setting. Once I found out there was a secret service menu, my natural curiousity took over and I simply couldn't help but 'explore' a bit.

Anyway, thanks for your suggestion. I guess I should start looking for a qualified engineer to have the set fixed. I don't have the skills or tools to replace a faulty EPROM myself.

Ynte

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.25 s on (CGI/1.1)