Free Games TV Forums

Main Index FORUM
HOME
Search Posts SEARCH
IN
Rules & FAQ RULES
F.A.Q.

Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
SONY KV35V36 Takes 5 Min to "warm up" and then picture in and out - sound always okay.

patnye
New User

Nov 21, 2004, 11:43 PM

Post #1 of 5 (2295 views)
Shortcut
SONY KV35V36 Takes 5 Min to "warm up" and then picture in and out - sound always okay. Can't Post

Hi, I recently bought a used SONY KV35V36 TV that seemed to work great for a week or so both on TV and with a DVD player.

Then it started taking about 5 Min or so for the picture to show up when I turned it on - the sound comes on right away.

I then had problems where while playing some DVDs, the picture would go in or out - sound always stays on.

Now the picture goes in and out all the time (both TV and DVD) and it's seeming to take longer to even show up when first turned on.

My question is, is this a problem worth repairing or am I looking at replacing something expensive like the tube?

I didn't pay much for the TV and it's very heavy and tough to move. It would be great if it's a simple fix (especially if it's something I could try as a novice).

Any opinions on a solution are appreciated or the name of a good repair person in Portland, Oregon would be great.

Thanks,
-Pat

mel
Veteran

Nov 21, 2004, 11:49 PM

Post #2 of 5 (2282 views)
Shortcut
Re: [patnye] SONY KV35V36 Takes 5 Min to "warm up" and then picture in and out - sound always okay. [In reply to] Can't Post

This is the classic symptom of a weak CRT and the set is going into IK shutdown. Many times, this condition can be temporarily corrected by turning up the screen voltage.

patnye
New User

Nov 22, 2004, 12:08 AM

Post #3 of 5 (2280 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mel] SONY KV35V36 Takes 5 Min to "warm up" and then picture in and out - sound always okay. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the response. Two questions:

How would I go about turning up the screen voltage (or is this soemthing I should even consider doing on my own)?

You said "temporary," do I have bigger problems to look forward to?

Thanks.

mel
Veteran

Nov 22, 2004, 12:33 AM

Post #4 of 5 (2272 views)
Shortcut
Re: [patnye] SONY KV35V36 Takes 5 Min to "warm up" and then picture in and out - sound always okay. [In reply to] Can't Post

Temporary means that the CRT will continue to deteriorate and eventually go out. I do not have a schematic on that specific model, but the screen adjust pot on Sonys is usually either the bottom knob on the back of the flyback transfomer (the black transfomer with the red wire going to the back of the CRT) or a potentiometer on the CRT board which is labled as screen. Just turn the knob clockwise until you see retrace lines on the screen and then back it off until they disappear.

patnye
New User

Nov 22, 2004, 12:36 AM

Post #5 of 5 (2271 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mel] SONY KV35V36 Takes 5 Min to "warm up" and then picture in and out - sound always okay. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks so much Mel.

I'll try this tonight and see how it goes.

-Pat

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.21 s on (CGI/1.1)