Free Games TV Forums

Main Index FORUM
HOME
Search Posts SEARCH
IN
Rules & FAQ RULES
F.A.Q.

Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
SONY KVT29SZ1 shutting off after a while!!!

sigmma
New User

Mar 28, 2005, 9:54 AM

Post #1 of 6 (1519 views)
Shortcut
SONY KVT29SZ1 shutting off after a while!!! Can't Post

hi I have a SONY KVT29SZ1 wich is shutting down every now and then, ....it work fine for a while then the image folds back horizontally and after a few secods it shuts itself off.....if I give a couple of wacks while the image is folding back horizontally then the image restores itself and then no problems......I am told that maybe some of the componets are a bit loose (solder cracked)....so I am going to remove the TV card and check it for solder cracks......

is it safe to resolder the card components (capacitors, resistances and the like) once it is completely removed?????

or do I have to discharge the capacitors even after the card has been removed???? thanks for your help.....

(This post was edited by sigmma on Mar 28, 2005, 9:57 AM)

mel
Veteran

Mar 28, 2005, 6:10 PM

Post #2 of 6 (1510 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sigmma] SONY KVT29SZ1 shutting off after a while!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

It is safe to touch up bad solder joints without discharging caps. When the set is in shutdown, check the number of blinks on the standby light and post back. This is a diagnostic tool built into Sonys and will help narrow down the area where the problem lies. You might also want to check out www.FreeFlatScreens.com/?r=10948674 for an opportunity to earn a free replacement for this set with a little effort on your part.

sigmma
New User

Mar 30, 2005, 2:46 AM

Post #3 of 6 (1496 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mel] SONY KVT29SZ1 shutting off after a while!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi mel.....Yesterday I checked the board and found nothing unusual just a couple of caps were abit loose, so I just re-soldered them...hopefully today I'll put everything together if I still remmember where each cable is connected to....lucky a took a couple of pictures before removing plugs and connectors.....I''ll report back as soon as I am done!!!!!!

sigmma
New User

Mar 31, 2005, 2:27 AM

Post #4 of 6 (1483 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sigmma] SONY KVT29SZ1 shutting off after a while!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

hi .....unfortunately the same problem on my tv.....I turn it on, after a minute or so I get bright and green lines, I think tech people refer to them as "retrace lines"...and then tv shuts off.....

I tried using a platic pick and touch some of the caps while the tv was on, and as soon as I touched any component on the main board the retrace lines came back and the tv shut off.....also the stand by button does NOT blink at all when shutting down...after the retrace lines the tv just shuts off completely, so no blinking is observed!!!!!

could anyone help me with some ideas............thanks

sigmma
New User

Mar 31, 2005, 3:13 AM

Post #5 of 6 (1482 views)
Shortcut

I rechecked the board with a magnifying glass and found IC551 joints cracked...hopefully this will fix the problem......

Whats the IC551 for???

sigmma
New User

Mar 31, 2005, 3:21 PM

Post #6 of 6 (1473 views)
Shortcut

Thanks to all those who prompty replied to all my messages.....and for those who are having similar problems I can tell you that the solder joints on IC 551 were cracked.....re-soldered them....and the TV is now fully operational....

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.43 s on (CGI/1.1)