Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Samsung DLP HLS-6188WX/XAA Problems

jaxspencer
New User

Apr 30, 2016, 5:58 AM

Post #1 of 6 (1172 views)
Shortcut
Samsung DLP HLS-6188WX/XAA Problems Can't Post

Anyone know what causes my near 10 year old TV to shut down initially after about 20-25 minutes of use accompanied by 3 blinking LED lights (constant). If I hit the power button shortly after the 3 lights start blinking they turn off, and after about 10-30 seconds the set turns on again, but will only remain on for less than a minute or two before turning off again with the 3 blinking lights that follow. I have had a few instances where I have hit the power button either too soon after shutdown, or in a different timing than usual that it makes a buzzing/high pitched squealing sound attempting to come on (color wheel or Fan?)but instead powering off and re-powering on in a sort of loop without successfully coming on, only to unplug the set to stop the loop.
I have pulled off the back panel twice and vacuumed out any visible dust (1st time) and used compressed air to blow it out (second time). Still same result. I pulled out the lamp and the ballast (I think it was the ballast) to gain access to the cooling fan for cleaning and inspected it for problems, but it seems to be working fine(spinning freely), yet the problem still exists.
I have yet to see any forum conversations regarding this exact problem as it seems to me to be a thermal problem because initially it will stay on for longer, but as it is used the duration between shutdowns gets shorter as residual heat remains in the set. Again, if I turn it back off after a restart and let it sit until I hear the cooling fan turn off, I can turn it back on and get another 10-20 minutes out of it before it turns off again accompanied by the same 3 blinking lights, which again suggests thermal issues. However, there is no odor of any overheating, only a slight sweet smell when blowing dust out of it(not sure what does that). Any help is appreciated.

jts1957
Veteran

Apr 30, 2016, 12:36 PM

Post #2 of 6 (1167 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jaxspencer] Samsung DLP HLS-6188WX/XAA Problems [In reply to] Can't Post

http://imgur.com/NbOzmFq - Note the bottom-most one in chart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8_mcBO6jmY

-------------------------

jaxspencer
New User

May 2, 2016, 8:00 PM

Post #3 of 6 (1141 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Samsung DLP HLS-6188WX/XAA Problems [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks jts1957,
I've already seen this chart and considered changing the bulb, but was unsure if that was the for sure thing because when it's working it doesn't appear to be the lamp, but I will give it a go. If that doesn't work what else would you suggest?

jts1957
Veteran

May 2, 2016, 11:03 PM

Post #4 of 6 (1131 views)
Shortcut

TV repair is never a 'for sure thing.'

The bulb is a 'consumable' part. It needs to be changed every so often.

Most sets work best with OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) bulbs. OEM bulbs are generally the higher priced ones. Some 'knock-off' (the real cheap ones) bulbs won't last very long or some sets won't even fire them up.

jaxspencer
New User

May 4, 2016, 11:47 PM

Post #5 of 6 (1098 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Samsung DLP HLS-6188WX/XAA Problems [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, it's not the bulb because I just replaced it with a new OEM Phillips bulb and still the same problem. What do you recommend now?

jts1957
Veteran

May 5, 2016, 1:32 AM

Post #6 of 6 (1094 views)
Shortcut

Could be ballast, color wheel, and/or bad caps on power supply.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.20 s on (CGI/1.1)