Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Samsung HLS6187W DLP/Weird Problem/ Part 2

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

74f100
Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2012, 2:48 AM

Post #26 of 82 (4002 views)
Shortcut
Re: [satman858] Samsung HLS6187W DLP/Weird Problem/ Part 2 [In reply to] Can't Post

When the DMD board is shifted, the picture is shifted.

When I give you precautions, it is usually because I've been there and done that.

Overall, your TV is very easy to work on. But failing to take a couple precautions ahead of time, will lead to a very frustrating and time consuming issue when the set is put back together. You may get lucky, you may not.

When I replace any DMD on any Samsung, I take a 5 second measurement of the distance between the board, and the outer shield before I loosen the 3 DMD alignment screws. If you followed this, when you put the new DMD in, you simply follow those measurements. And as long as the tilt is correct, the horizontal and vertical adjustments can be done in the service menu.
HDMI not working

(This post was edited by 74f100 on Jul 24, 2012, 2:59 AM)

satman858
User

Jul 24, 2012, 3:15 AM

Post #27 of 82 (3998 views)
Shortcut
Re: [74f100] Samsung HLS6187W DLP/Weird Problem/ Part 2 [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
When the DMD board is shifted, the picture is shifted.

When I give you precautions, it is usually because I've been there and done that.

Overall, your TV is very easy to work on. But failing to take a couple precautions ahead of time, will lead to a very frustrating and time consuming issue when the set is put back together. You may get lucky, you may not.

When I replace any DMD on any Samsung, I take a 5 second measurement of the distance between the board, and the outer shield before I loosen the 3 DMD alignment screws. If you followed this, when you put the new DMD in, you simply follow those measurements. And as long as the tilt is correct, the horizontal and vertical adjustments can be done in the service menu.

Can you please explain to me why the 3 DMD alignment screws (which I am assuming are the 3 screws that you told me to leave alone for now) even need to be loosen, when the board slid out over them, and they did not need to be loosen or taking out to remove the DMD board?

(This post was edited by satman858 on Jul 24, 2012, 3:18 AM)

74f100
Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2012, 3:20 AM

Post #28 of 82 (3995 views)
Shortcut
Re: [satman858] Samsung HLS6187W DLP/Weird Problem/ Part 2 [In reply to] Can't Post

Because the manual was showing them holding the dmd in.

If that board came out without removing them, then you are in much better shape.

That means everything on the alignment won't change. Cool for you. Those alignments SUCK!!

I can only go by a manual, I don't have your set in front of me.
HDMI not working

satman858
User

Jul 24, 2012, 4:07 AM

Post #29 of 82 (3993 views)
Shortcut
Re: [74f100] Samsung HLS6187W DLP/Weird Problem/ Part 2 [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Because the manual was showing them holding the dmd in.

If that board came out without removing them, then you are in much better shape.

That means everything on the alignment won't change. Cool for you. Those alignments SUCK!!

I can only go by a manual, I don't have your set in front of me.

I understand now why you thought that.

You must have missed my photo I posted earlier today which was the last post on page 1 of this thread. It shows the DMD board removed, and the 3 screws that you told me not touch yet still intact. The board holes were bigger than the 3 screws, and the DMD board slipped out over them. Here is the photo again. Take a look.

74f100
Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2012, 11:32 AM

Post #30 of 82 (3992 views)
Shortcut

I have been repairing TVs since 1986. The most important lessen I've learned in all that time,,,you can't know ever little detail about every TV on the market.

When I troubleshoot, especially when I haven't worked on a specific model or series in a while. Take note of ever sound, look at every detail. And most importantly, recognize where the pitfalls lie that can turn a 15 minute job into a 3 hour job.

On your TV or any DLP, the biggest pitfall is: changing the relationship between the DLP chip and the light tunnel. Without being able to see the fine details in the picture, I can't tell which version you have. So as a precaution, I've told you to measure this relationship before taking the DMD loose. It takes at most 2 minutes to find these measurements. So,,,,if you don't want to measure before hand, then you take that risk. I will tell you to error on the side of caution. It is your TV, do with it as you choose.

When you come to an internet forum asking for help, you seek our knowledge and experience. That is all we have, along with a couple of pictures. Those pictures will never replace me being able to listen, feel, and look closely at every detail. Lacking that, I have only so much information with which to direct you. So I will direct you in ways that will prevent bigger problems down the line. Will you potentially do or perform an extra step? Yes, you will. I do these extra steps sometimes when I work on things, because I've made the mistakes in the past that cost me a lot of time. The difference, when I've made those mistakes, I have the experience, service literature, and tools to correct those mistakes. You don't.

Rule number one of being a good Tech. Recognize the fact you don't and can't know it all. Use procedures that allow for quick and effective troubleshooting.

Rule number 2, don't make a problem worse by failing to notice a small detail. Mistakes are part of the business, learning how to minimize these mistakes are only gained through years of making them, and learning to recognize a potential mistake waiting to happen.

You are welcome to follow my advise, or not. Its your TV.

I'm not troubleshooting your TV, you are. I am only sharing what I've seen and know. Giving you an extra step that will potentially save you a headache later, is going to happen. If you want to come on here and complain that I've given you an extra step, that is fine. Your TV being fixed or not is your responsibility, not mine.
HDMI not working

satman858
User

Jul 24, 2012, 3:46 PM

Post #31 of 82 (3989 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
I have been repairing TVs since 1986. The most important lessen I've learned in all that time,,,you can't know ever little detail about every TV on the market.

When I troubleshoot, especially when I haven't worked on a specific model or series in a while. Take note of ever sound, look at every detail. And most importantly, recognize where the pitfalls lie that can turn a 15 minute job into a 3 hour job.

On your TV or any DLP, the biggest pitfall is: changing the relationship between the DLP chip and the light tunnel. Without being able to see the fine details in the picture, I can't tell which version you have. So as a precaution, I've told you to measure this relationship before taking the DMD loose. It takes at most 2 minutes to find these measurements. So,,,,if you don't want to measure before hand, then you take that risk. I will tell you to error on the side of caution. It is your TV, do with it as you choose.

When you come to an internet forum asking for help, you seek our knowledge and experience. That is all we have, along with a couple of pictures. Those pictures will never replace me being able to listen, feel, and look closely at every detail. Lacking that, I have only so much information with which to direct you. So I will direct you in ways that will prevent bigger problems down the line. Will you potentially do or perform an extra step? Yes, you will. I do these extra steps sometimes when I work on things, because I've made the mistakes in the past that cost me a lot of time. The difference, when I've made those mistakes, I have the experience, service literature, and tools to correct those mistakes. You don't.

Rule number one of being a good Tech. Recognize the fact you don't and can't know it all. Use procedures that allow for quick and effective troubleshooting.

Rule number 2, don't make a problem worse by failing to notice a small detail. Mistakes are part of the business, learning how to minimize these mistakes are only gained through years of making them, and learning to recognize a potential mistake waiting to happen.

You are welcome to follow my advise, or not. Its your TV.

I'm not troubleshooting your TV, you are. I am only sharing what I've seen and know. Giving you an extra step that will potentially save you a headache later, is going to happen. If you want to come on here and complain that I've given you an extra step, that is fine. Your TV being fixed or not is your responsibility, not mine.

Jim,

I am sorry but you took my post with the wrong intent. I just thought you might not have seen the picture of the board apart, because of the 3rd paragraph you posted at the top of this page. I was just so excited that it just came right off without having to take those 3 screws off that I was so much in fear of. I posted the picture again because I just wanted you to see the picture again out of excitement, and I had thought you missed seeing it.

I would never complain about an extra step you gave me, because without you helping me I would have never attempted even taking the board off. As much of a detailed person as I am, (my wife calls me a perfectionist) I appreciate that you give me all those details. I am once again sorry for the misunderstanding, and I thank you so much for the help you have given me thus far. I will let you know when the DMD board comes in, if that is still okay with you.

(This post was edited by satman858 on Jul 24, 2012, 3:54 PM)

74f100
Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2012, 9:47 PM

Post #32 of 82 (3981 views)
Shortcut

Yes, I mis-understood. Sorry, no offense taken, and hopefully none given. LOL

That's what I was hoping you would do,,,,get in there and do it. It isn't that difficult.

Take note however of your last picture,,,,the DLP chip is still against the light tunnel. Don't leave it there in that position, it can fall out and scratch the lens (for no better word). Also don't touch the glass area of the DLP chip.

You are all set to get that replaced and working..

On a side note, I just came from a call on a HLS5087,,,,does your set only have one board or two to the left of the light engine.. I thought all in that series had two,,,the one I was just on only had one.
HDMI not working

satman858
User

Jul 24, 2012, 11:02 PM

Post #33 of 82 (3980 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Yes, I mis-understood. Sorry, no offense taken, and hopefully none given. LOL

That's what I was hoping you would do,,,,get in there and do it. It isn't that difficult.

Take note however of your last picture,,,,the DLP chip is still against the light tunnel. Don't leave it there in that position, it can fall out and scratch the lens (for no better word). Also don't touch the glass area of the DLP chip.

You are all set to get that replaced and working..

On a side note, I just came from a call on a HLS5087,,,,does your set only have one board or two to the left of the light engine.. I thought all in that series had two,,,the one I was just on only had one.

i am assuming the the DLP chip is the black square thing in the center where my arrow in the picture below is pointed at. It looks like if I remove it, it will just slip back in the spot it is in without having anything needing to be realigned, it just will slip back into the place it comes from. Am I right in thinking that removing it will not create those problems?

Because if removing it could create a need for realignments, then I could also just leave it there, and take some small thin pieces of scotch tape to keep it from falling out.

74f100
Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2012, 11:10 PM

Post #34 of 82 (3978 views)
Shortcut

Yes, that is it.

It plugs into the DMD board. The alignments are with the DMD in relation to the light tunnel. The DLP chip plugs into a socket similar to a computer CPU socket. Look closely at the back side of the DMD, there should be a place that it connects to the chip.

What I mean by this,,,,you will have to plug the DLP chip into the new DMD. I would normally suggest you do this before mounting the DMD, but if you can secure the chip, AND make sure you don't bend the pins plugging it in. Then that would also be acceptable. Just be careful,,,if you look close at that side of the chip, you'll see the small pins.
HDMI not working

satman858
User

Jul 31, 2012, 4:28 PM

Post #35 of 82 (3927 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Yes, that is it.

It plugs into the DMD board. The alignments are with the DMD in relation to the light tunnel. The DLP chip plugs into a socket similar to a computer CPU socket. Look closely at the back side of the DMD, there should be a place that it connects to the chip.

What I mean by this,,,,you will have to plug the DLP chip into the new DMD. I would normally suggest you do this before mounting the DMD, but if you can secure the chip, AND make sure you don't bend the pins plugging it in. Then that would also be acceptable. Just be careful,,,if you look close at that side of the chip, you'll see the small pins.

Jim,

The DMD board has come in. If you look at the picture below when you have time, I have circled 2 pins that stick out of the housing that the DLP chip fits into. The DMD board has 2 holes where these 2 pins go through when when installing the DMD board.

If I just slip the DMD board in through those 2 pins circled in the picture below, then screw in the 4 screws that go into the top and bottom corners of the DMD board, shouldn't the back of the DMD board meet up to the DLP chip pins perfectly, which then will allow me to screw in the other parts that attach to the DMD board?

If so, then I would assume that the next step would be the piece that is attached by way of the screws with the springs behind them, and then last the outer piece that looks like a screen with the 2 1/2" clip holding it on?

74f100
Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2012, 10:56 PM

Post #36 of 82 (3916 views)
Shortcut

You are correct.

I do a lot of Mitsubishi DLP's,,,,,I get them mixed up.

Everything lines up with the metal support around the DLP chip. Just don't force things together. Everything else is easy from this point on. The only mistake I've seen people make here (and I've done it), is putting the ribbon cable that goes to the color wheel in backwards. With the DMD board installed. facing the DMD in the position of your last picture, the contacts will face you.....In other words, the 4 contact points in that ribbon cable will actually face towards the back of the TV when installed.
HDMI not working

satman858
User

Jul 31, 2012, 11:53 PM

Post #37 of 82 (3911 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
You are correct.

I do a lot of Mitsubishi DLP's,,,,,I get them mixed up.

Everything lines up with the metal support around the DLP chip. Just don't force things together. Everything else is easy from this point on. The only mistake I've seen people make here (and I've done it), is putting the ribbon cable that goes to the color wheel in backwards. With the DMD board installed. facing the DMD in the position of your last picture, the contacts will face you.....In other words, the 4 contact points in that ribbon cable will actually face towards the back of the TV when installed.

Is the ribbon you are speaking of the ribbon circled in my picture below?

If not, can you describe it to me?

74f100
Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2012, 4:08 AM

Post #38 of 82 (3903 views)
Shortcut

Yep,,,and in the correct position. Smooth sailing from here.
HDMI not working

satman858
User

Aug 1, 2012, 4:19 AM

Post #39 of 82 (3902 views)
Shortcut

We'll see about that smooth sailing. Cool

74f100
Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2012, 4:23 AM

Post #40 of 82 (3901 views)
Shortcut

Confidence is at least 80% of any task.

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!! LOL
HDMI not working

satman858
User

Aug 1, 2012, 5:01 AM

Post #41 of 82 (3899 views)
Shortcut

As a former professional bowler, confidence comes with hours of practicing, not with doing something for the first time. Let just see how my memory is of where everything goes after more than a week of removing everything. LOL

satman858
User

Aug 1, 2012, 4:02 PM

Post #42 of 82 (3895 views)
Shortcut

Okay Jim, I am both stuck and concerned.

In picture 1 you will see a small piece that for some strange reason was attached to the plug-in fitting coming from the light tunnel (also pictured). It needed to be removed so that the plug-in fitting would plug into the the DMD board shown in picture 2.

What is that piece for, and why was it attached to the plug-in fitting?

My concern if I need that piece I am in trouble as the piece had a bent pin, and when I tried straighten it out, the pin broke off, as seen in picture 3.

(This post was edited by satman858 on Aug 1, 2012, 4:05 PM)

74f100
Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2012, 11:01 PM

Post #43 of 82 (3889 views)
Shortcut

Look on your old DMD board. It looks like you pulled the socket for the plug you are holding off.

There is a catch on each of the plugs,,,if you don't press the release, it pulls the socket off.

I can't be sure from that angle though..
HDMI not working

satman858
User

Aug 1, 2012, 11:33 PM

Post #44 of 82 (3887 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Look on your old DMD board. It looks like you pulled the socket for the plug you are holding off.

There is a catch on each of the plugs,,,if you don't press the release, it pulls the socket off.

I can't be sure from that angle though..

Yep that's what happen!!! It was missing off the old DMD board.

Since it was from the old DMD and it don't effect anything, I will continue on later tonight after the olympics.

(This post was edited by satman858 on Aug 1, 2012, 11:34 PM)

74f100
Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2012, 11:50 PM

Post #45 of 82 (3885 views)
Shortcut

Now you've learned one important point on TV repair.

DON'T PULL ON PLUGS UNTIL YOU ENSURE THEY ARE UN-CLIPPED. LOL
HDMI not working

satman858
User

Aug 2, 2012, 12:09 AM

Post #46 of 82 (3884 views)
Shortcut

You are right! I think I learned my lesson. LOL
I have one more question to ask you about that will require some pictures. When the batteries get recharged in a couple of hours for my digital camera, I post the pics and ask you about it then.

74f100
Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2012, 12:35 AM

Post #47 of 82 (3883 views)
Shortcut

It may take me till this weekend to get back to you..I have a load tomorrow. Then a Hotel and LG training Friday.

So worst case, I'll have an answer by Saturday.
HDMI not working

satman858
User

Aug 2, 2012, 5:51 AM

Post #48 of 82 (3875 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
It may take me till this weekend to get back to you..I have a load tomorrow. Then a Hotel and LG training Friday.

So worst case, I'll have an answer by Saturday.

No problem Jim. Whenever you can get back to me is fine.

Okay, when I was removing what I called the chassis from the TV there was an electrical line with a plug on the end that was hooked up in the back that I could not see. I felt for it and unhooked it blindly, so I do not know where I unhooked it from. This line looks like it is coming from back of the power supply board. I have it shown in picture 1 with a close up of it in picture 2. I believe it was hooked up to the place circled in picture 3, but I am not sure.

Do you think that where I have it circled is where it was hooked to?
If so, then why would the socket (which is hard for you to see in the picture) have 2 pins sticking out of it, when the plug on the end of the line has openings for 3 pins? (see pic 2)

74f100
Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2012, 10:45 AM

Post #49 of 82 (3872 views)
Shortcut

Yes that is the ballast supply voltage. And that is the correct plug.
HDMI not working

satman858
User

Aug 2, 2012, 3:43 PM

Post #50 of 82 (3866 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Yes that is the ballast supply voltage. And that is the correct plug.

If the socket circled in picture 3 is the right place for that plug on that line to go, then how do I plug a 3 hole plug into a 2 pin socket?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.24 s on (CGI/1.1)