Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Samsung LCD 46 Pop! Then Dead!

eth9966
New User

Nov 23, 2011, 5:43 AM

Post #1 of 7 (14536 views)
Shortcut
Samsung LCD 46 Pop! Then Dead! Can't Post

I have a Samnsung LN46B630 LCD TV which I've owned for about 1.5 years. No warranty.

While watching TV, I heard a loud pop, then the tv went dead. No standby light, no power at all.

I tried different outlets and different cords to rule that out. I also opened the tv to see if I could notice a blown fuse or capacitors. All the capacitors looked fine (none blown or bubled up). I realized that I don't have a multimeter with me to check the fuses (a couple of ceramic ones on the power board).

Given what happened, is there a likely diagnosis here? Would replacing the power supply board fix this (or should I do some electrical testing once I get my multimeter back)? Or is it too complicated to tell and I should take in into a technicion to examine farther?

Thanks!
Smile

jts1957
Veteran

Nov 23, 2011, 1:10 PM

Post #2 of 7 (14503 views)
Shortcut
Re: [eth9966] Samsung LCD 46 Pop! Then Dead! [In reply to] Can't Post

http://elektrotanya.com/...us.zip/download.html

If you have NO experience, your last statement would be best.

-------------------------

eth9966
New User

Nov 23, 2011, 8:28 PM

Post #3 of 7 (14491 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Samsung LCD 46 Pop! Then Dead! [In reply to] Can't Post

Ok, so I tested the fuses and the main fuse, by the power plug, had no continuity so I replaced it.

After plugging it in again I heard the same loud pop and then one of the components on the power supply board fried (it smoked / sparked). It is the circled part on the included image. I'm assuming that this is the same exact thing that happened originally (the fuse bursting happened after this).

I found the exact replacement board which I can order and easily install. Can any experts here suggest if based on all of this, will the replacement likely fix the tv? Or is it likely that other damage (aside from the power board) has occured.

Thanks!

http://s12.postimage.org/9c3id9nr1/board.jpg

(This post was edited by eth9966 on Nov 23, 2011, 8:29 PM)

jts1957
Veteran

Nov 23, 2011, 8:51 PM

Post #4 of 7 (14487 views)
Shortcut

Since coils & transformers seldom smoke, I'd take a closer look at the black things bolted to the heat sinks AND the components mounted through the board between heat sinks and coil/transformer.

eth9966
New User

Nov 23, 2011, 9:02 PM

Post #5 of 7 (14485 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Samsung LCD 46 Pop! Then Dead! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the reply.

Just to clarify - are you suggesting that I could do some board level repair here? I'll try to do some testing based on your suggestions.

What I was originally asking was if you think just replacing the entire board would fix the problem, or if based on my descriptions you think the issue propagated beyond just this power supply board? Testing and replacing the individual components on the board may be over my head and I found the entire board for $120 on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/...98146#ht_3781wt_1397

I'm just a little hesitant to go out and buy it and find that it doesn't fix the tv.

Thanks again.

jts1957
Veteran

Nov 23, 2011, 9:17 PM

Post #6 of 7 (14481 views)
Shortcut

Since I did not download and look at the service manual I gave a link for in my first response, I can't say if or how detailed the power supply schematic would be (usually the best you get is a block diagram/black box).
SM should contain a wiring diagram indicating various power sources at the connectors to the power supply. If you have a meter you could try measuring resistance from each one to ground looking for any source with very low reading. If one (or more) are found, unplug the connector you're measuring at and remeasure the "pin" & the connector. You may be able to tell if low value is due to a defect elsewhere in the TV, or in the power supply.

B630fuse
New User

Jun 13, 2012, 2:31 PM

Post #7 of 7 (14148 views)
Shortcut

I have the same problem as u described. Am wondering if you were able to figure it out and fix the TV. My ln46b630 is also blwoing fuses , nothing seems burnt out but I did notice the same part as u circled with a slightly bubbled outside. Could u replace it or did u had to replace the whole board and if the board from ebay worked fine. Thanks in advance for your reply.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.21 s on (CGI/1.1)