Free Games TV Forums

Main Index FORUM
HOME
Search Posts SEARCH
IN
Rules & FAQ RULES
F.A.Q.

Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Samsung PCL5415R (TV will not power on, blinking TIMER light)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

orbit
New User

Nov 22, 2010, 5:59 AM

Post #1 of 26 (15340 views)
Shortcut
Samsung PCL5415R (TV will not power on, blinking TIMER light) Can't Post

This TV is a bit of an old one, but I would rather repair it than throw it away! I have the Samsung PCL5415R model. I think it's a projection TV and it is about 54 inches. I can't vividly remember what problem originally happened since it happened over a year ago, but I will explain as best as I can. Right now the problem is if the TV is plugged in and you try to power it on, the TIMER light will blink a few times and then power off. That's pretty much it, as nothing else happens. I opened the back of the TV already on both the top and the bottom, and I see all the boards on the bottom, and 3 lamp/light things that are facing this mirror thing on the top. I'm not sure why it won't turn on, but what would I need to replace. Also, pictures can be taken if needed so let me know, so I can do anything to help you help me! Thanks again!

edit: I decided to ask friends before to recall the problem. They said the color used to be distorted such as the image showing up greenish. However, the problem depreciated into now when you power it on the TIMER light blinks for a few seconds and then automatically powers off. I decided to open the top of the TV to see the three lamps I assume. I powered on the TV, and looked real quick at two lamps on the right had turned blue and green for 3 seconds, but the red lamp on the left did not turn on at all. Then the TV proceeded to power off just like usual. Same thing happens every time you power it on.

(This post was edited by orbit on Nov 22, 2010, 6:21 AM)

darstr
User

Nov 22, 2010, 5:30 PM

Post #2 of 26 (15318 views)
Shortcut
Re: [orbit] Samsung PCL5415R (TV will not power on, blinking TIMER light) [In reply to] Can't Post

Crazy With out sounding rude, if you don't have very much experiance with electronics, I would let a pro take care of this, or just let it go. A lot of stuff going on in that set and a whole lot more that can harm you.

orbit
New User

Nov 22, 2010, 8:09 PM

Post #3 of 26 (15314 views)
Shortcut
Re: [darstr] Samsung PCL5415R (TV will not power on, blinking TIMER light) [In reply to] Can't Post

It's okay, I understand. I'm experienced with electronics, but more so with repairing computers. I did some research however, and noticed that from my problem of skewed colors there's a chance it might be the convergence board. But I'm unsure if that would also cause the blinking timer light and power to shut off after a few seconds. <br>

(This post was edited by orbit on Nov 22, 2010, 8:10 PM)

darstr
User

Nov 22, 2010, 8:29 PM

Post #4 of 26 (15311 views)
Shortcut
Re: [orbit] Samsung PCL5415R (TV will not power on, blinking TIMER light) [In reply to] Can't Post

Crazy I'm more concerned with the fact that your red CRT doesn't seem to be firing with the other two. You might start there.

Ron.M
Veteran

Nov 23, 2010, 1:10 AM

Post #5 of 26 (15302 views)
Shortcut

orbit;....

From darstr;=>....

I'm more concerned with the fact that your red CRT doesn't seem to be firing with the other two. You might start there.

From orbit;=>...

But I'm unsure if that would also cause the blinking timer light and power to shut off after a few seconds

Lets find out if there is another problem(s) there...
Look for CN803....
You have a power board that the AC cord goes to....
Off that board are 2 large connectors , one has 10 pins & the other has 12....
Possibly in your TV , both connectors have 12 pins....
In my manual , at one location it shows CN803 as having 12 pins &
at another it shows CN803 as having 10 pins...
Unplug/disconnect CN803 or the 12 pin connector....
Leave CN802 connected....
Turn the TV on......
Does it stay on ????
If the TV stays on , the convergence ICs are bad....
IF it does , look directly into the lens of the red CRT....
What do you see if anything ????
Now look directly into the center CRT (green) lens....
Kinda creep up on it as it will be bright in there....
Allow your eyes to adjust...
Do the same with the blue CRT....
In the blue & green CRTs you should see something albeit a distorted pix....
If there is still nothing in the red CRT , you "may" have 2 or more problems....Unsure.....
If the TV turns off as it did , you "may" have 2 or more problems....Unsure....

Please post back with what you found.....
EVERYTHING....Wink.....

Have 1 or 2 more things to check....

Later...Ron.M....Cool.....
Veteran & Retired TV technician

orbit
New User

Nov 23, 2010, 9:18 AM

Post #6 of 26 (15293 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ron.M] Samsung PCL5415R (TV will not power on, blinking TIMER light) [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you, Ron, for taking the time to help me! I decided to follow your instructions and found the CN803 connector and it was right beside the CN802 connector. I disconnected the CN803 connector, and plugged in the TV and tried to turn it on. The TV apparently stays on, but now it doesn't turn off unless I unplug it from the wall. I tried to look at the CRTs but wasn't seeing any activity from all three CRTs. Also, whenever I unplug to turn it off and then plug it back in, the TV automatically turns on. Another thing to add is that I reconnected the CN803 afterwards, making sure the TV was unplugged, and a little flash of electricity came out. I was trying to make sure I was grounded. I turned the TV on after that, and everything is still back to the normal problem of when you turn on the TV the blinking TIMER light starts and then the blue and green CRTs flash for a second and then it automatically shuts off. Hope thats enough information for you! :) Thanks again!

(This post was edited by orbit on Nov 23, 2010, 9:24 AM)

Ron.M
Veteran

Nov 23, 2010, 6:56 PM

Post #7 of 26 (15279 views)
Shortcut

orbit;....

I tried to look at the CRTs but wasn't seeing any activity from all three CRTs.

Two things here......
One is you need to look DIRECTLY into the lens & get a looksee at the CRT face....
Two is that you MUST have a signal going into the TV , Antenna on an active channel , cable hook-up on an active channel or a DVD , VCR hooked up & playing.....

Another thing to add is that I reconnected the CN803 afterwards, making sure the TV was unplugged, and a little flash of electricity came out.

Don't let that bother you....
That is expected....
When the CN803 is disconnected & the TV is turned on , the power supply on that line is charged up...(Only 30 vdc)....
There is no other place that voltage is being used....
When you re-connect CN803 the voltage discharges thru what I suspect are bad convergence ICs...

How much electronic/TV repair background experience do you have ????
Fixing computers involves changeing boards , installing RAM , hard drives , dealing with viruses , & installing new programs , etc....To mention a few....
I need to have a more detailed answer...
This & other TVs have high voltages that can kill you.....

With CN803 hooked up , do you get sound of ANY kind ????
With CN803 disconnected , do you get sound of ANY kind ????

Later...Ron.M....Cool.....

jts1957
Veteran

Nov 23, 2010, 11:00 PM

Post #8 of 26 (15272 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ron.M] Samsung PCL5415R (TV will not power on, blinking TIMER light) [In reply to] Can't Post

This & other TVs have high voltages that can kill you.....

Oh, come on now Ron, unless the person has a pacemaker or a heart condition, death is not likely. More likely to die by the reaction to the zap. Jerking away from shock and shredding a forearm through a plate glass window, for example.

Look at me, I've been zapped (many times early in my career, now only on rare occasions) AND I have had two heart attacks (one is NOT related to the other) and I'm just fine. Now everyone will know my User Icon is a "before" likeness.

-------------------------

orbit
New User

Nov 23, 2010, 11:09 PM

Post #9 of 26 (15270 views)
Shortcut

Okay, sorry let me try to be as specific as I can. I've worked with computers for about 10 years doing the tasks you stated above (building computers, ram/video/cpu/etc.). I know how to solder some electronics, but very basic stuff. I've recently repaired my LCD computer monitor, but it was a basic fix by de-soldering a broken capacitor and putting on a new one (matching the power, etc.). But as I've said, just basic stuff. When you speak for all electronics, I guess I would say I'm not that experienced in taking electronics apart, apart from computers. I understand the basics of keeping yourself grounded and using the proper protection to prevent yourself from getting shocked, or creating static electricity and bricking something. I hope I've given enough information. I know my way around electronics, even when taking it apart. However, I've never had formal training for it. Just a hobby really. Also, I have no TV repair background, unless you count monitors for computers... but then that would be monitor background repair lol.

As for the TV, I believe I should clarify that the power does turn on when you disconnect the CN803 connector, however there is no display on the TV at all. As in it doesn't show/say anything. I did take your advice and setup an old Nintendo NES with composite cables into the video3 input which is in the front of the TV (as I thought it would be easier), and didn't see anything happening. Power stayed on, NES was made sure to be on, and nothing was showing up on the TV as expected. Then I disconnected all the stuff and looked into the CRTs eye on all 3. I did not see anything that looked different in the red CRT from the blue and green working one. I also kept everything plugged in and looked at the CRTs eye on all three but same exact result. I hope I'm as thorough as I can be.

Also, the only sounds I'm hearing is when the TV powers on, it clicks on just like it used to do. No sounds that I'm hearing besides when I power it on. Hope that helps you help me! :)

LOL @ the picture above. I wonder what you were so happy about!

(This post was edited by orbit on Nov 23, 2010, 11:17 PM)

orbit
New User

Nov 24, 2010, 3:45 AM

Post #10 of 26 (15255 views)
Shortcut

Also, was wondering which of the pieces are the convergence IC's? I saw that there are two pieces that kind of look like metal heatsinks with a two black stk model# chips with thermal paste behind each of the two black chips. <br> <br>edit: I took down the part # that was pasted on the convergence board. AA95-00705A. Apparently, you can either replace the whole board with the AA part or you can take a cheaper way of soldering the STK 302-040 part.

(This post was edited by orbit on Nov 24, 2010, 4:21 AM)

Ron.M
Veteran

Nov 24, 2010, 4:23 AM

Post #11 of 26 (15248 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Samsung PCL5415R (TV will not power on, blinking TIMER light) [In reply to] Can't Post

jts1957;.....

More likely to die by the reaction to the zap. Jerking away from shock and shredding a forearm through a plate glass window, for example.

Must be like jumping off the top of the Empire State Building....
It's not the jump that kills you , it's the sudden stop that does....
OR a heart attack on the way down....

Look at me, I've been zapped (many times early in my career, now only on rare occasions) AND I have had two heart attacks (one is NOT related to the other) and I'm just fine.

Hmmmmm !!!....Could it be that your 2 heart attacks are FROM being zapped so many times ????

Now everyone will know my User Icon is a "before" likeness.

I challenge that !!!!
I was married to a gorgeous woman 40 years ago....
I got happily divorced 35 years ago...
The pix you have as an "after" pix is actually my ex today....
You stole it from the zoo she lives in....

Hahahahahah !!!!....Sly...Sly...Sly....

Later...Ron.M....Cool....

Ron.M
Veteran

Nov 24, 2010, 4:50 AM

Post #12 of 26 (15247 views)
Shortcut

orbit;....

Also, I have no TV repair background,

We'll do the best you can....

Your TV has the same chassis & service manual as this one;=>...

http://www.tv-forums.com/...cgi?post=89300#89300

Read that post & decide which way you want to do it....
Replaceing the complete convergence board may be not only more costly , but , can be more involved with "Factory Menu" adjustments that are beyond your expertise.....NO offense !!!....
So , I would reccommend you just replace the ICs....
I can NOT say this enough;=>..."""Use ONLY Sanyo ICs..."""

A couple more things I want you to do before you go off & order parts...

I powered on the TV, and looked real quick at two lamps on the right had turned blue and green for 3 seconds, but the red lamp on the left did not turn on at all.

This ^^contradicts this;=>....

Then I disconnected all the stuff and looked into the CRTs eye on all 3. I did not see anything that looked different in the red CRT from the blue and green working one. I also kept everything plugged in and looked at the CRTs eye on all three but same exact result.

What did you disconnect ???...
What do you mean by;>""two lamps on the right had turned blue and green for 3 seconds,"""" << From your 1st post....
Then you said;=>..""" all three but same exact result."""
One or the other ????....
See , it's important we find out why no red....
When you turn the TV on , can you see an orange glow at the bottom of the CRTs inside the necks ???

Still more to check....Stay tuned.....Wink....

orbit
New User

Nov 24, 2010, 5:06 AM

Post #13 of 26 (15244 views)
Shortcut

I just wanted to say scratch everything I said about the CRT's. All three are working well. They all turn on when the TV is powered on.
<br>
edit: after reading your post I meant to clarify. When everything on the TV is connected properly, meaning the CN803 is plugged in, the TV is plugged in. The original problem is that when you power on the TV the TIMER light blinks for a few seconds and then shuts off automatically. Well when I power on the TV, I quickly look at the CRT's (there are three of them, and each one is designated a color RGB) and right when the TV is powered on, all three CRT's start up to show their colors and then immediatly 2 seconds later the TV auto shuts off.

(This post was edited by orbit on Nov 24, 2010, 8:19 AM)

Ron.M
Veteran

Nov 24, 2010, 6:52 PM

Post #14 of 26 (15227 views)
Shortcut

orbit;....

Lets try this again...
First some ground rules....
Since you work with computers , you should understand the following;...
Garbage in , garbage out.....
When I ask for info (Reffering to the CRTs) , I NEED accurate info...
Answer ALL questions I ask....
For example;.....
""What did you disconnect ???..."""
&
""When you turn the TV on , can you see an orange glow at the bottom of the CRTs inside the necks ???"""
Check this with CN803 disconnected....

I do not understand why you first said the blue & green CRTs lit up & not the red , & now ALL three are lighting up.....
Once again,disconnect CN803...
Be ready to look directly into the green CRT...
Turn the TV on....
When you do that be looking into the green CRT....
What do you see there ????
Is the CRT face lit up ????
What do you see on it , a solid green light , a green light with skinny white lines in it OR ????
Unplug the TV if needed to turn it off.....
Do the same proceedure with the blue & red CRTs.....
PLEASE tell me/us what exactly you see on the face of each CRT , ESPECIALLY the red one....THANKS....Sly....

orbit
New User

Nov 25, 2010, 8:43 AM

Post #15 of 26 (15220 views)
Shortcut

Sorry about that! I will start over and respond to each question!

I'll start with your CRT instructions.

I disconnected the CN803 connector. Then I plugged in the TV and turned it on. The green CRT did not light up at all. When I looked into the eye I saw nothing. Same for the other two CRT's.

(Just wanted to add a side note here. ONLY and ONLY when the cn803 connector is CONNECTED, will the three eyes blink on for 2 seconds and then shut off. When cn803 is disconnected, the eyes do nothing.)

Hope you are all having a Happy Thanksgiving! (If you live in the U.S. :) )

Ron.M
Veteran

Nov 25, 2010, 8:27 PM

Post #16 of 26 (15205 views)
Shortcut

orbit;....

Sorry about that! I will start over and respond to each question!

Well then , lets get started....
When you turn the TV on , can you see an orange glow at the bottom of the CRTs inside the necks ???
Check this with CN803 connected & disconnected....

Previously I said;=>...

Once again,disconnect CN803...
Be ready to look directly into the green CRT...
Turn the TV on....
When you do that be looking into the green CRT....
What do you see there ????
Is the CRT face lit up ????
What do you see on it , a solid green light , a green light with skinny white lines in it OR ????
Unplug the TV if needed to turn it off.....
Do the same proceedure with the blue & red CRTs.....
PLEASE tell me/us what exactly you see on the face of each CRT , ESPECIALLY the red one....THANKS....Sly....

When you say;...

Well when I power on the TV, I quickly look at the CRT's (there are three of them, and each one is designated a color RGB) and right when the TV is powered on, all three CRT's start up to show their colors and then immediatly 2 seconds later the TV auto shuts off.

I'm trying to get a handle on this;=>...

What do you see on each one , a solid colored light , a colored light with skinny white lines in it OR ????
This time do it with CN803 connected....
I'm trying to find out WHAT is on each CRT face for the 2 seconds it is lit up....

THANKS.....Sly.....

Yes , I'm a proud American......

Have a Happy & safe Thanksgiving to you & your loved ones....

Later...Ron.M,.....Cool.....

(This post was edited by Ron.M on Nov 25, 2010, 8:28 PM)

jts1957
Veteran

Nov 26, 2010, 12:17 AM

Post #17 of 26 (15197 views)
Shortcut

Clipart of an un-American turkey. Wrong edge of Flag secured to pole.

Canton:
any quarter of a flag, but commonly means the upper hoist (left) quarter, such as the field of stars in the flag of the United States or the Union Flag in the Australian Flag.
Hoist:
the half or edge of a flag nearest to the flagpole. This term also sometimes refers to the vertical width of a flag.

Ron.M
Veteran

Nov 26, 2010, 2:25 AM

Post #18 of 26 (15192 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Samsung PCL5415R (TV will not power on, blinking TIMER light) [In reply to] Can't Post

jts1957;...

I saw that it (The flag) was on the wrong end of the pole when I got it....
Wasn't sure what it meant...
Didn't think it was as offensive as hanging it upside down...
Maybe that isn't offensive either....
Not sure what is or isn't offensive....
At any rate , if you or anyone else says or thinks it's offensive , I'll gladly remove it....

jts1957
Veteran

Nov 26, 2010, 3:43 AM

Post #19 of 26 (15189 views)
Shortcut

Not offensive. Just disturbing. Like awakening and finding the sun rising in the west. Smile

Ron.M
Veteran

Nov 26, 2010, 7:14 PM

Post #20 of 26 (15177 views)
Shortcut

jts1957;....

With ALL due respect , YOU , MORE than anyone else here should know that I will go to the mat anytime , anywhere to defend my(our) country....
You may recall that battle I had with r*****r awhile ago (Apr,2009) when he said a poster must be an American etc....

I took the Thanksgiving pix as a bit humorous....
Altho the flag is hung from the wrong side , I didn't see anything offensive....
Had the flag been shown negatively , I would NOT have posted it....
I'm truly sorry you feel "disturbed" by it....
Other than that , I hope you had a GREAT holiday....Sly......

PS;...The sun STILL goes down in the west !!!!....

orbit
New User

Nov 28, 2010, 5:44 AM

Post #21 of 26 (15167 views)
Shortcut

Sorry for the late response. Too many things going on during Thanksgiving! Hope you all had a great one!

As for the questions, When the CN803 is connected, I can see an orange glow at the bottom of all three CRT's inside the necks. When the CN803 is disconnected, no orange glow.

Now to answer your next question about the CRT's whether they are solid colors or not. When the CN803 is CONNECTED, all three CRT's blink on, and they are SOLID colors. No lines, nothing but solid colors for red, green, and blue. Hope that answers your questions!

Ron.M
Veteran

Nov 28, 2010, 6:54 PM

Post #22 of 26 (15155 views)
Shortcut

orbit;....

OK , so far , so good... THANKS....Sly....

Hook up CN803....
Now we need to see if you can get some video or sound...
Try all inputs with whatever you have to use....
Hook up a DVD , VCR or a video game system....
Also try an antenna source such as cable , rabbit ears or an outdoor antenna...
See if you see anything on the screen....
Up front , I have to tell you that I'm not confident enough to say the convergence ICs are bad....
The problem is that when the convergence ICs go bad on some some sets (Samsung included) , the menu disappears & you can not change inputs etc....
I don't know if that is what is happening here or not....

Take a looksee at the 1 &/or 2 watt resistors close to the convergence ICs (STK392-040's) & check for discoloration or if they are burnt...
Do you have a DVM & the original remote for the set ????
Also may need pix of CN803 & CN802....
Please post back with results....THANKS....Sly.....

Later....Ron.M....Cool....

(This post was edited by Ron.M on Nov 28, 2010, 7:00 PM)

orbit
New User

Nov 30, 2010, 4:41 AM

Post #23 of 26 (15135 views)
Shortcut

I was not able to get any of the inputs working. No sound or video at all. Tried two different things, a game system and a dvd player.

There are no discolored watt resistors at all. All of them look the same with no burnt out indication.

I do have the original remote it came with, but not sure what a DVM is?

Do you think it might be related with a bad capacitor that the TV doesn't stay on?

I did decide to go ahead and order the tv repair kit that you had linked me to earlier. Not exactly the same one but I made sure it was the one for PCL5415R. I did solder both convergence IC's onto the TV and made sure everything was plugged in carefully. However, when I powered on the tv... same exact problem. I turn it on and then timer light just blinks a few times and it shuts off. :( At least I eliminated one solution. What else could it be related to? Trying to get the tv to just stay on! Thanks! &lt;br&gt; <br>

(This post was edited by orbit on Nov 30, 2010, 5:39 AM)

orbit
New User

Nov 30, 2010, 4:55 AM

Post #24 of 26 (15134 views)
Shortcut

Also, I took some pics that you had requested.

The two pink cables are the CN802 and CN803. Also, the one furthest in the back is the 802.

edit: I was reading the instruction manual that it came with about the Timer light. It said "When the TV is turned on, the Timer indicator
blinks ten times.", which I found interesting. Mine turns on and then blinks 3 times and then shuts off.

(This post was edited by orbit on Nov 30, 2010, 5:00 AM)

Ron.M
Veteran

Nov 30, 2010, 9:44 PM

Post #25 of 26 (15119 views)
Shortcut

orbit;....

Too much confusion here...
1st , the red tube was not coming on , then it is...
Then we have skewed colors suggesting the convergence board....
Then we have all this confusion over the CN803.....
Then you go ahead & order & install the convergence ICs....
After I said I wasn't convinced that was the problem....
& guess what , it's NOT....
So you wasted about $70 ~ $80 USD for nothing !!!!...

but not sure what a DVM is?

A DVM is a Digital Volt Meter....
Anyone that has any electronic troubleshooting experience knows what that means....

Do you think it might be related with a bad capacitor that the TV doesn't stay on?

Very possibly so....Along with other components....

Then there's this=>.....

If it is not a routine convergence failure, be prepared for some headaches if you do not have the experience in this kind of product.

From here;=>....
http://www.hometheatershack.com/...light-shuts-off.html

Look familiar ????

So after all this , I refer you to this;=>...
From post #2....

Crazy With out sounding rude, if you don't have very much experiance with electronics, I would let a pro take care of this, or just let it go. A lot of stuff going on in that set and a whole lot more that can harm you.

GOOD LUCK....Sly.....

Later....Ron.M.....Cool....

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.24 s on (CGI/1.1)