Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Samsung Plasma PN42B450B1D flickering and brightness pulsing

jbird
New User

Jan 15, 2018, 7:02 AM

Post #1 of 1 (756 views)
Shortcut
Samsung Plasma PN42B450B1D flickering and brightness pulsing Can't Post

I have a Samsung plasma TV from around 2009 that sometimes flickers, has pulsing variation in brightness visible even in black areas, colored static, and a staticky rectangle about 8" X 12" that forms at the bottom left of the screen. The TV is usually watchable even with the symptoms, but occasionally the picture disappears for several seconds and all I see is a black background with the above mentioned static and rectangle. When the image is gone, I can see remnants in the rectangle of what was on the screen immediately before the image went dark. Then, the picture comes back to normal. This happens on all inputs and even the OTA antenna.

The two HDMI ports in the back of the TV no longer carry sound, but the one on the side of the TV still works properly.

I opened the TV to look for loose connections, bad capacitors, burned components, etc, but found no obvious problems. The problem went away and stayed gone for a few days after I removed the back cover and put it back on, but I didn't repair anything or find any loose wires inside. The TV just went several days with no display problem, and now the problem has returned.

Any ideas as to what might cause a display problem like this? I'm not worried about the HDMI problem unless it might be related to what is causing the display issues on all inputs.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.18 s on (CGI/1.1)