Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Samsung plasma PN42C450B1D clicking and no picture

SmilynJohn
New User

Jul 21, 2014, 8:44 PM

Post #1 of 6 (3778 views)
Shortcut
Samsung plasma PN42C450B1D clicking and no picture Can't Post

Hello, I'm working on a Samsung PN42C450B1D plasma TV. basically its not turning on. clicks a few times and stays off.
The X-sustain was shorted so I decided to replace both the X-sustain and the Y-sustain since it seems like these cards are sensitive. since I didn't know if the buffers were bad or anything else I decided to test with out the y buffers disconnected plus the ribbon cable coming out of the X-sustain going to the screen. Ohm meter tested a few K ohms from Vs to ground, with power it came on to the Samsung chime but no picture. I connected the x-sustain cable going to the screen powered on and heard a small pop and shorted x-sustain again. Could you explain more details what the voltage from the x-sustain does and if this how this would short the x-sustain. also if you have any suggestions on fixing. I'm assuming that there is a problem with the screen and probably not worth fixing now.

thanks John

flyatyou66
User

Jul 23, 2014, 2:23 AM

Post #2 of 6 (3745 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SmilynJohn] Samsung plasma PN42C450B1D clicking and no picture [In reply to] Can't Post

On your first x board were the fuses good, and if so did the same failure happen on the second x board?
Do you have any flashing code or nothing at all on power light?
If you disconnect x board from power board what happens?
What do you think made the popping noise and did that happen to your first x board also?
Does your heat sink get warm on your y-sustain board?

(This post was edited by flyatyou66 on Jul 23, 2014, 2:26 AM)

SmilynJohn
New User

Jul 24, 2014, 1:27 AM

Post #3 of 6 (3731 views)
Shortcut
Re: [flyatyou66] Samsung plasma PN42C450B1D clicking and no picture [In reply to] Can't Post

well if is the more detailed version of what happened.
-The TV wouldn't come on. just click a few times. no picture no sound.
-took apart, and read blogs on same symptoms, all fuses good. Ohm test between Vs and ground read 0, Y-sustain was shorted
-Ordered y-sustain and replace, same symptoms
-read more blogs. disconected X-sustain, turn TV on and got no picture however it came up to samsung chime and the sound worked. and test ohm short again and found x-sustain is shorted. in reading blogs found bad x-susain can cause y-sustain to mess up also
- ordered and replaced x-sustain and Y-sustain and replaced both at the same time.
- wasn't sure about the status of buffers to left them disconnected. Y-buffers and X ribbon cable to screen
-ohm test between VS and ground was a few Kilo Ohm's
connected power, it came up to a samsung chime. I didn't test to see if sound was working.
- disconnected power and attached ribbon cable going from screen to x-sustain, powered up and heard a soft pop, tv tried to turn on. few clicks but no display.
disconnected power and ohm tested VS to ground and found x-sustain shorted.

Questions
can the cable from the screen when connected to the x-sustain short out the x-sustain board?
is it worth ordering another x-sustain board to see if it works or am I wasting time since the screen needs to be replaced?
I read that updating the bios might fix power problems. Will flashing the bios fix this problem so that the x-sustain doesn't blow?
Are there any other suggestions that might help me fix this TV?

flyatyou66
User

Jul 24, 2014, 2:12 AM

Post #4 of 6 (3725 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SmilynJohn] Samsung plasma PN42C450B1D clicking and no picture [In reply to] Can't Post

Does not look good. Before you order anything i would lift the screen and take a look at where the flex cables go into the screen x board side,
.. There's a youtube video of this problem but will see if i can find it.Sometimes these will short out, that's what i would do first. Look it up on youtube for screen removal.

SmilynJohn
New User

Jul 24, 2014, 2:31 AM

Post #5 of 6 (3719 views)
Shortcut
Re: [flyatyou66] Samsung plasma PN42C450B1D clicking and no picture [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks, I will give it a try

Hairlocks
New User

Mar 5, 2017, 6:35 PM

Post #6 of 6 (2246 views)
Shortcut

SmilynJohn did you ever fix your TV. I have the 50" version and have the same symptoms. Power supply was clicking and never allowing the TV to power up. disconnect the x-sustain and it then does power up and try to display stuff (but has not signal). So checked the x-sustain found it to be shorted across the Vs and ground.

I replaced the x-sustain, which seemed fine. for it only to get shorted fairly quickly after powering on again. I have taken the screen out and there is nothing obvious on the flex cables that go into the screen, and there is no resistance across them either.

It seems to break the transistors on the x-sustain board. I removed all the capacitors from the first board and they are fine but the transistors have no resistance at all.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.20 s on (CGI/1.1)