Scan Coils??

JonL
New User

Dec 9, 2004, 10:27 AM

Post #1 of 5 (1770 views)
Shortcut
Scan Coils?? Can't Post

Hi

I'm still trying to track down a high pitched whistle in the back of my Philips (32pw9536). I've had the Flyback transformer replaced and it wasn't that. the guy in the shop reckons it's the 'scan coils' and that it's normal on 100Hz TVs. I'm sure it isn't normal as i've never heard this noise on other 100Hz philips TVs that are always on display in TV shops. What/where are the scan coils? and are the likely to resonate?

I think I read somewhere (in this forum) that the coils on the very back of the tube can be a little loose on Philips TV's.... would like be a likely area for the problem and is it acceptable to spray this area with acrylic lacquer?

Thanks

Jon

shadetree
Veteran

Dec 9, 2004, 5:31 PM

Post #2 of 5 (1762 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JonL] Scan Coils?? [In reply to] Can't Post

that was the yoke coils they make a rattling noise not a whistle

minehunter
User

Dec 9, 2004, 7:11 PM

Post #3 of 5 (1755 views)
Shortcut

The quick easy fix to squeels is the following. Get some clear acrylic spray paint and then remove the back of the set. Spray all the ciols and open transformers that you see with a liberal dose of the spray. That usually works for linerarity coils and such. Don't forget the yoke while you have that back off.

JonL
New User

Dec 9, 2004, 11:47 PM

Post #4 of 5 (1748 views)
Shortcut
Re: [minehunter] Scan Coils?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the advice.....

So what/where are the scan coils and are they likely to be whistling? Can I assume that it's pretty safe to spray the lacquer on the yoke then?

minehunter
User

Dec 10, 2004, 3:49 PM

Post #5 of 5 (1743 views)
Shortcut

The coils are located all over the chassis. There are coils for picture linerarity, audio, chokes for filters and etc. Just look for small copper wrapped chokes. they are usually about 3/8 in diameter and an inch or so tall. They are sometimes wrapped with shrink tubing, they are generally easy to spot. You can even use hot glue on them also. That works on the persistent squeelers.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.19 s on (CGI/1.1)