Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Sears 19" won't lock on any channels

nick_filice
New User

Jan 31, 2005, 2:53 AM

Post #1 of 3 (962 views)
Shortcut
Sears 19" won't lock on any channels Can't Post

Hi, just joined so that maybe someone can help me with an issue I'm having. I have a Toshiba-made Sears TV of 1987 vintage, chassis number 562.42251650 that will not lock onto any stations. It'll go through the auto scan and pick up nothing, but when changing channels manually I get a clear picture occasionally with sound as well, but it goes back to snow after about a second. I poked around the board and see no obvious bad capacitors or anything, but after working on vintage all-tube TV's I'm somewhat lost where to begin. It's looking like the main culprit might be the TMP47C processor chip, but is there anything else I should be looking at before I just give up on it and continue running through the video inputs, like some sort of sensitivity adjustment or something?

mel
Veteran

Jan 31, 2005, 11:28 PM

Post #2 of 3 (953 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nick_filice] Sears 19" won't lock on any channels [In reply to] Can't Post

You might try adjusting the ACG which is a pot somewhere in the vicinity of the tuner but I doubt that this will solve your problem. Since you can get a momentary picture/sound, I doubt that it is your microprocessor chip. I would more suspect a bad connection or weak component in the tuner or IF section. You might want to check out www.FreeFlatScreens.com/?r=10848674 for an opportunity to earn a free replacement for this set with a little effort on your part.

nick_filice
New User

Jan 31, 2005, 11:38 PM

Post #3 of 3 (950 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mel] Sears 19" won't lock on any channels [In reply to] Can't Post

Ok, I did find a little pot in the tuner section, and turning it got it to lock onto a signal from a Playstation 2 I hooked up through the cable input. Still not quite there, since color cuts in and out still and there is still no sound, but it's progress. I'll have to fiddle with that a little more, see what I can do... If that doesn't solve the problem, I'll probably just go through that section and replace caps and such. I really didn't think it was the processor due to the symptoms, but a local repairman mentioned that awhile back when I took it in. Of course he quoted me $65 to fix it and immediately tried to sell me a new TV, so that likely had something to do with it. Thanks for the help, and I'll post back any findings when I mess with it again.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.19 s on (CGI/1.1)